dump edit and flash boot.img back to device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dump edit and flash boot.img back to device

So I want to change the default.prop to add ro.secure=0 so i can run "adb root" from my pc so i can use a tool like android commander and mess with the system a bit easier.

Im asuming i use dd to get my boot.img

Code:
    dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd4 of=/sdcard/external_sdcard/boot.img
    Then i need to unpack it to a folder edit the default rebuild the image file and flash it back.
    I would n then need to install the tools: abootimg, android-tools-adbthen run:

Code:
    abootimg boot.image
    Then I would be left with the file initrd.img that i need to open and edit.

Code:
    [COLOR=#000000]abootimg-unpack-initrd [/COLOR]
    then mod the files I need to and repack it with:

Code:
    [COLOR=#000000]abootimg-pack-initrd [initrd.img.NEW][/COLOR]
    then i need to recreate the boot.img with:

Code:
    [COLOR=#000000]abootimg [/COLOR][COLOR=#666600]--[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]create [/COLOR][COLOR=#000088]new[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600].[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]img [/COLOR][COLOR=#666600]-[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]f bootimg[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600].[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]cfg [/COLOR][COLOR=#666600]-[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]k zImage [/COLOR][COLOR=#666600]-[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]r initrd[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600].[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]img[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600].[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]NEW[/COLOR]
    the problem i have is i dont dare flash it to the device can i create a rom and boot from sd to try it ?
    is there a better way (simple) way to do this ?

on the net there is mention of bumping the image something to do with file sizes of the repacked image and i believe it may need padding as ther is a risk of it failing to boot, how do I do this ?
    Last edited by professor_jonny; 04-27-2014, 12:58.

So I was messing around and I can't extract the boot.img file it does not have the ANDROID! header like most android devices.

I was asuming it would then have a raw ramdisk imagetaged at the end of the kernel so i tried looking for the headder 1F 8B 08 but it is not in there also.

I come across this:

I guess this is the correct process can any one confirm this works ?

Comment

tools

Here is a link to the tools I use, but why not use ShaunMT's rom? http://www.mediafire.com/download/d4...1hrz/tools.zip
      ​Archos Gen9 A80S cm-11.0
      Kindle Fire 2 cm-11.0

Comment

Originally posted by stevemp View Post
        but why not use ShaunMT's rom?
        Thanks i will try again tonight.

my boot image is different to that of the generic models i believe it may have a special kernel or ram disk image as my unit is an oem unit supplied to the warehouse new zealand.

I have a dump of one of the devices shaunmt has a custom rom for and wish to verify the kernel crc to check it amongst other things.

I have slimed down my install and removed the bloat and replace some of the built in apps with better ones, but I woud like to be able to run adb with root permissions so I can work with the system easier using push and pull to install apps with out to much hassle.

Comment

Working...
        X