Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NTFS vs EXT4 file format for external harddrive (S89 Elite)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NTFS vs EXT4 file format for external harddrive (S89 Elite)

In Linux world EXT4 format will always be more preferably to have a NTFS harddrive attached.
    However all specs only say the S89 supports fat/fat32/ntfs as USB filesystem.

Can this really be true?

Which filesystem are you guys running and why?

Originally posted by gstar2 View Post
    In Linux world EXT4 format will always be more preferably to have a NTFS harddrive attached.
    However all specs only say the S89 supports fat/fat32/ntfs as USB filesystem.

Can this really be true?

Which filesystem are you guys running and why?
    I could not write to a external ntfs usb drive. It reads fine though.
    That leaves fat32 as the only real option for properly supported rd/wr...
    It will probably be easy to support EXT4 but this is going to give you all kinds of headaches which got noting to do with the device perse. You will not be able to copy files onto the drive using Windows. Always a pain when you at fam/friends house with only Windows machines!

Comment

I am very suprised to hear that I will not be able to write to the harddrive for files larger than 4GB (((
      That is actually a very very big issue for me, and not I am starting to regret that I bought the device
      I dont care which fileformat I have to use, as long as I can write files > 4GB.

Are anyone else having the same problems?

Comment

RK3288 Devices
        - Overview BOX (LINK !)
        - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
        UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
        Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
        Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
        Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

I am very suprised to hear that I will not be able to write to the harddrive for files larger than 4GB (((
          That is actually a very very big issue for me, and not I am starting to regret that I bought the device

format the HDD with NTFS, then you can write files to the drive >4GB using your computer

but the media player android device cannot write files at all to the HDD.
          Last edited by gizmomelb; 05-05-2014, 15:13.

Comment

Could someone please try to install this

and see if works???

Comment

There are programs to format the disk over 4gb fat32. I format the disk 500gb and there was no problem with that. Unfortunately I do not remember what was his name. But there is such a HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

Comment

Could someone please try to install this

and see if works???
                Yes, works . I have an external WD 3TB Nas version HDD (NTFS formatted) connected to my S802 box.
                With this app I can easily write on the HDD .
                Torrent also works, so I'm happy with this app, and the 3TB too.

Greetings,
                eM
                Last edited by eM82; 05-07-2014, 09:25.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
                  Much appreciated.

Now of someone could make a comparison between NTFS/exFAT/HFS+ read/write speeds that could be perfect

To know which format to choose for the external harddrive!

Originally posted by eM82 View Post
                  Yes, works . I have an external WD 3TB Nas version HDD (NTFS formatted) connected to my S802 box.
                  With this app I can easily write on the HDD .
                  Torrent also works, so I'm happy with this app, and the 3TB too.

Greetings,
                  eM

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
                    Much appreciated.

Now of someone could make a comparison between NTFS/exFAT/HFS+ read/write speeds that could be perfect

To know which format to choose for the external harddrive!
                    I don't think that there will be too much significant difference between the 3 formats.
                    But I will search an app to measure my HDD's speed.
                    (3,6Mbyte/sec is at least, because that's my top internet speed )

Comment

Thank you very very much for your help!

I don't think that there will be too much significant difference between the 3 formats.
                      (3,6Mbyte/sec is at least, because that's my top internet speed )

Comment

Maybe with this one

(I think it must also be able to test an external HDD...???)
                        RK3288 Devices
                        - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                        Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                        Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                        Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

I don't think that there will be too much significant difference between the 3 formats. (3,6Mbyte/sec is at least, because that's my top internet speed )
                          BTW:
                          I'm not only think so too, I'm sure it doesn't matter which file-system-format do you use BECAUSE
                          1. the first bottleneck is the USB 2.0 Port... It only allows ~25MByte/s read/write but the most HDD have at sequential read/write a lot of more than ~25MByte,
                          2. the sec. bottleneck is the I-Net-Speed, so maybe for torrent (because of random read/write) but I don't think that you really recognise it...

Maybe use the USB-OTG port for the external HDD, because maybe it is directly connected to the SoC (without hub; I only know it at rockchip boxes(not sticks) there are the other USB-Ports via hub so you maybe have to share the speed with other devices) ...
                          RK3288 Devices
                          - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

I have a Tronsmart Vega S89-H which arrived a couple of days ago. I am really happy with it & it looks like an awesome device. I came from a WDTV Live Streaming media player which was much more basic.

However on the WDTV device I could see it on my macbook as a shared device. With the Tronsmart Vega S89-H I cannot see it at all. I used to be able to drag & drop files with the WDTV but for the moment this is not possible.

I did a scan of my network & got the IP address of the
                            Tronsmart Vega S89-H but I still cant seem how to browse it like my previous unit.

Can anyone tell me how I can do this? I did some searches & didnt find an answer but please excuse me if it has been asked & answered before. This thread seemed relevant to what I am after

Comment

Originally posted by manc01 View Post
                              I have a Tronsmart Vega S89-H which arrived a couple of days ago. I am really happy with it & it looks like an awesome device. I came from a WDTV Live Streaming media player which was much more basic.

However on the WDTV device I could see it on my macbook as a shared device. With the Tronsmart Vega S89-H I cannot see it at all. I used to be able to drag & drop files with the WDTV but for the moment this is not possible.

I did a scan of my network & got the IP address of the
                              Tronsmart Vega S89-H but I still cant seem how to browse it like my previous unit.

Can anyone tell me how I can do this? I did some searches & didnt find an answer but please excuse me if it has been asked & answered before. This thread seemed relevant to what I am after
                              Its because no shares are exported by the device. If we enable SMB/NFS/CIFS we will be able to export shares.
                              Not sure if there is any real use of this except to share attached storage.

Comment

Working...
                              X