Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picuntu or any other linux distro avail for the iFive tablets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picuntu or any other linux distro avail for the iFive tablets?

Hi everyone. I have been using Picuntu on a MK808 for a few days now.

I am looking at getting an RK3188 powered tablet. I would love to run Ubuntu on a tablet.

What is the situation with compatability?

I have tried using the apps available in the Google Play Store...they seem to install Linux OK...but I have problems getting a loop device to mount. I'm afraid the Rockchip kernels have disabled that ability. I'm looking further for a solution, but I way behind several others in learning this process.

If you find anything, please let us know.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
      I have tried using the apps available in the Google Play Store...they seem to install Linux OK...but I have problems getting a loop device to mount. I'm afraid the Rockchip kernels have disabled that ability. I'm looking further for a solution, but I way behind several others in learning this process.

If you find anything, please let us know.
      Trying to run a virtual machine on a tablet is inadvisable though. I mean you can run linux on android that way, but don't expect anything more than basic shell commands. I think the OP was asking if there's a usable Picuntu version. Picuntu is not mounted linux, it is *native*, so it's quite a useful tool. Sadly people who develop those distros -apparently- don't own tablets or care to develop for them...

--A fellow tablet owner

Comment

That's correct. In order to get Ubuntu or another Linux distro to boot on an Android device, a kernel must be compiled for that device.

TV sticks don't have a lot of the things that tablets do, with regard to hardware...such as touch screens. If every touch screen used the same driver...it would be easy. But since there's no standard set of drivers for the tablet components...you would have to make a kernel for every tablet model.

I would be happy if someone would just compile a few Ubuntu kernels for a handful of the most popular tablets...like the iFive 3, or Mini 3 Retina, or Pipo M9 Pro (or M6 Pro). However..again...you need to have the Android kernel sources to make the Linux kernel...which we don't have.

It seems like Ubuntu (Picuntu) would be more beneficial on the larger screen sizes 10.1" or 9.7".
        Randy
        Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
        Read my BIO Here
        Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
        Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
          That's correct. In order to get Ubuntu or another Linux distro to boot on an Android device, a kernel must be compiled for that device.

TV sticks don't have a lot of the things that tablets do, with regard to hardware...such as touch screens. If every touch screen used the same driver...it would be easy. But since there's no standard set of drivers for the tablet components...you would have to make a kernel for every tablet model.

I would be happy if someone would just compile a few Ubuntu kernels for a handful of the most popular tablets...like the iFive 3, or Mini 3 Retina, or Pipo M9 Pro (or M6 Pro). However..again...you need to have the Android kernel sources to make the Linux kernel...which we don't have.

It seems like Ubuntu (Picuntu) would be more beneficial on the larger screen sizes 10.1" or 9.7".
          Still a semi working tablet version would be great, certainly better than nothing. Even if the screen is not working at all it would still be useful as a secondary linux machine (external display, mouse and keyboard).

Actually I was able to boot my tablet using one of the TV sticks' distros but sadly my device's USB port was unsupported. So I booted into linux, my TV was showing it in its full glory but couldn't enter the login password.

Indeed the lack of kernel sources is killing us :/ ...truly portable linux could be a godsend (since a tablet is a complete device unlike a TV stick)

Comment

Working...
          X