Arnova 10G2 ICS port - PREVIEW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arnova 10G2 ICS port - PREVIEW

Hey folks.... my work so far on trying to get ICS ported to the 10G2.
    Alas it is not going well due to NO KERNEL SOURCES!!!
    I believe I will never be 100% successful without a new 10G2 ICS kernel

However I did manage to get it to boot so you can have a look at what the Arnova 10B G3 ICS looks like on your 10G2. I used a ICS kernel that does work (telecast T760) but some stuff DOES NOT WORK.
    No touch screen (you need a USB mouse to use this)
    No WIfi
    No sound

But for those that like to play around and have a look see, this is a PREVIEW ROM of what ICS will look like if I ever get it working fully. If I could find ICS .ko drivers for the 10G2 screen (hardware) I believe I can get this to work!

NOTE: YOU WILL NEED A USB MOUSE TO NAVIGATE THE TABLET!

Anyway, if you want a look see to how ICS works, here is the ROM I have made so far. I have to say it works pretty well and is not slow!

ROM -> Arnova 10 G2 - ICS "Preview" ROM (142 megs)

P.S. For those that have my 2.1 ROM with CWM and have made a CWM backup to SD card. After playing with this ICS ROM you do not have to flash back fully!
    Simply open the 2.1 ROM kit and flash ONLY the following:
    boot.img, misc.img, recovery.img, kernel.img, parameter.img
    This will flash super fast (seconds)!
    Then just use CWM to restore and you will have your tablet back to normal in minutes!

Bob

Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

Damo - Forum Moderator

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE LINK BELOW

Last edited by Damo; 07-13-2012, 14:08.
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

AN10G2 ICS kernel source now available

Originally posted by Finless View Post
    Hey folks.... my work so far on trying to get ICS ported to the 10G2.
    Alas it is not going well due to NO KERNEL SOURCES!!!
    I believe I will never be 100% successful without a new 10G2 ICS kernel
    Take a look at:

Comment

Yes I saw this. Let's see if he has the time to put in to make it all work. I have not yet had the time to learn to compile a Android kernel let alone tweak it.
      You are very welcome to be a Dev here if you want to be a kernel guy. We NEED ONE HERE! PM me offline if your interested.

Personally ICS on 512MB just is not going to work well. Many of the 9G2 guys with 512MB that went to ICS when I first cooked it up, have gone back to GingerComb or Gingerbread due to laggy performance.

I will also add that Arnova's implementation of ICS is "memory heavy". I gave up trying to make Arnova's implementation better for the 10b G3! So I said screw it, and went to a AOSP 4.0.4 to work with instead of Arnova's jacked up implementation. Take a look at what the guys are saying when I ported a stock 4.0.4 AOSP to the Arnova 10b G3. MUCH better performance!

Anyway, I wish him luck with that project. In the end I think if you want a performance Tab, sorry my Gingercomb will be about as best you can get. UNLESS I learn to work with a kernel and make it even better. We shall see.

Again, if you would like to join the Dev team here and know how to compile kernels, contact me.

FYI, good to see your still around. I use your perl scripts all the time!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
        Yes I saw this. Let's see if he has the time to put in to make it all work. I have not yet had the time to learn to compile a Android kernel let alone tweak it.
        You are very welcome to be a Dev here if you want to be a kernel guy. We NEED ONE HERE! PM me offline if your interested.

Personally ICS on 512MB just is not going to work well. Many of the 9G2 guys with 512MB that went to ICS when I first cooked it up, have gone back to GingerComb or Gingerbread due to laggy performance.

I will also add that Arnova's implementation of ICS is "memory heavy". I gave up trying to make Arnova's implementation better for the 10b G3! So I said screw it, and went to a AOSP 4.0.4 to work with instead of Arnova's jacked up implementation. Take a look at what the guys are saying when I ported a stock 4.0.4 AOSP to the Arnova 10b G3. MUCH better performance!

Anyway, I wish him luck with that project. In the end I think if you want a performance Tab, sorry my Gingercomb will be about as best you can get. UNLESS I learn to work with a kernel and make it even better. We shall see.

Again, if you would like to join the Dev team here and know how to compile kernels, contact me.

FYI, good to see your still around. I use your perl scripts all the time!

Bob
        Have you had a chance to have a look at full honeycomb instead? Also what was the filing system, not ext 3 or 4 was it fraps or somthing?

Comment

Just curious..

I don't understand why this tablet would be lagging with ICS. I am no developer for sure, but my phone is a Samsung captivate with:Single core, 1000 MHz, Cortex A8 Hummingbird and 512 MB of RAM and the Arnova is: ARM Cortex A8 1 GHz with 512 MB of RAM.

My phone is running 4.0.4 built using AOSP source with some CM sources and it runs smooth!! is it the kernel that is causing the problems? Just curious really more than anything else.

Has anyone asked over at XDA if any of the kernel builders there would be interested in working with the source to come up with a kernel for us?

Thanks

Geeve

Comment

Originally posted by geeve420 View Post
            I don't understand why this tablet would be lagging with ICS. I am no developer for sure, but my phone is a Samsung captivate with:Single core, 1000 MHz, Cortex A8 Hummingbird and 512 MB of RAM and the Arnova is: ARM Cortex A8 1 GHz with 512 MB of RAM.

My phone is running 4.0.4 built using AOSP source with some CM sources and it runs smooth!! is it the kernel that is causing the problems? Just curious really more than anything else.

Has anyone asked over at XDA if any of the kernel builders there would be interested in working with the source to come up with a kernel for us?

Thanks

Geeve
            My phone (Samsung Gio have 256 RAM) and I have ICS (no lag). I think ICS+Arnova G2 realy.
            P.S I think a lot of tablet with 512 RAM,RK2918,800x480 and ICS.
            Good Luck

Comment

No news????

Bob help us to mount ICS on aour tablet!!!!!

Please........

Comment

still no news

I was hoping to see ics on my archos 10 g2 at the beginning of this semester but no new info was released so far.
                to bad I really hope that one day in the near future our tablet would be running ICS or even jellybean to show that our tablet is still a good device an more than capable of running those android versions.

Comment

Still no progress?

I wonder if there is any progress in this project

Comment

I need a kernel guy that can compile the kernel against the ICS SDK. Thats the hold up!

Bob

Comment

ICS 4 on Arnova 10 G2

Has there been any progress on the Kernel for this model Bob?

I would like to test your latest progress snaphot if you have one available for testing.

Let me know.

Victor

Comment

I found a XDA forum about kernel for arnova.....

Bob can you check if found it?

Oma ICS v1.2.5 for evaluation ;) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Final Edition with Bluetooth-Stick Support. - small & smart - system ext4 - CWM recovery - homebrew kernel by Astralix & fr3ts0n - CPU @1,1 GHz, set profile by Daemon-Controller -...

Bob help us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank's a lot!

Comment

Re: Arnova 10G2 ICS port - PREVIEW

Originally posted by lolloarnova View Post

Oma ICS v1.2.5 for evaluation ;) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Final Edition with Bluetooth-Stick Support. - small & smart - system ext4 - CWM recovery - homebrew kernel by Astralix & fr3ts0n - CPU @1,1 GHz, set profile by Daemon-Controller -...

Thank's a lot!
                          Interesting, but these are 7" tablets with lower resolution. Not sure whether the code would work. It is nice to see ICS on a Rockchip 2918, though.

My name's Harold and I'm a flashaholic....
                          Asus Transformer TF300T - ROOTED, with TWRP recovery and stock Jellybean
                          HTC Rezound - ROOTED with S-OFF, running stock ICS
                          Android obsessed since April 29, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by lolloarnova View Post

Thank's a lot!
                            Good find, but he says at the begining :

"All kernel are stock kernel from ICS images available in the download section of the distributor/producer.
                            For more info pls refer to the relevant homepage. GPL sources I could find are listed in post #5."

So, as there never has been an official ICS image or an ICS kernel for the Arnova 10G2, it won't be there.

Comment

Re: Arnova 10G2 ICS port - PREVIEW

Hey, finally someone did it!!!
                              An ICS rom for the arnova 10g2 is going to be published soon in the arctablet forum.
                              They show a video of it working.

Comment

Working...
                              X