audio lag or latency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

audio lag or latency

I've tried a number of simulated drum apps but there is a noticeable 200-500ms lag between hitting the drum & hearing the sound. Is there a dedicated audio chip or is the sound cpu processed ?
    I've noticed the same lag watching vids.

Is there any possible way to update sound and video drivers without reflashing the whole rom? Assuming a new rom would contain updated drivers or that we would be told if they did.

to answer my own question

Originally posted by matt View Post
    I've tried a number of simulated drum apps but there is a noticeable 200-500ms lag between hitting the drum & hearing the sound. Is there a dedicated audio chip or is the sound cpu processed ?

Is there any possible way to update sound and video drivers without reflashing the whole rom? Assuming a new rom would contain updated drivers or that we would be told if they did.

Guess I Need ipad or jellybean n7 or better for music. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post

From what I can tell, the audio codec is part of the Allwinner A10 system-on-chip.

I also noticed lag in Android, so I went and installed Ubuntu on my PMID701i using an SD card. (I'll be posting a guide soon!) After running LMMS and hearing how choppy/laggy it was, I realized that the CPU was in super power-saving mode, running at a pathetic 60MHz. I set the cpufreq governor to Performance, and immediately it was fast enough to render the 110MB FluidSynth General MIDI SoundFont with no issues.

I haven't tried overclocking yet (it supports up to 1.5GHz, but there's no way in heck anyone is going to get it stable at that speed) because it already gets hot in performance mode. I may mess with voltages later, but for now I'd rather not kill my tablet.

The sound lag is directly related to the CPU clock speed, although Android does have its own audio overhead. I can't wait for Jelly Bean, but Ubuntu works better on this tablet anyway.

Comment

wonderful.

How do you delete a post?
        Last edited by matt; 07-09-2012, 19:36. Reason: double save

Comment

wonderful.

Originally posted by aloznat View Post
          From what I can tell, the audio codec is part of the Allwinner A10 system-on-chip.

I also noticed lag in Android, so I went and installed Ubuntu on my PMID701i using an SD card. (I'll be posting a guide soon!) After running LMMS and hearing how choppy/laggy it was, I realized that the CPU was in super power-saving mode, running at a pathetic 60MHz. I set the cpufreq governor to Performance, and immediately it was fast enough to render the 110MB FluidSynth General MIDI SoundFont with no issues.

I haven't tried overclocking yet (it supports up to 1.5GHz, but there's no way in heck anyone is going to get it stable at that speed) because it already gets hot in performance mode. I may mess with voltages later, but for now I'd rather not kill my tablet.

The sound lag is directly related to the CPU clock speed, although Android does have its own audio overhead. I can't wait for Jelly Bean, but Ubuntu works better on this tablet anyway.
          Cool. I guess it's high time I am dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century to learn a 13th operating system.

Traditionally, the audio chip has been isolated from the cpu to reduce crosstalk, should contain a DAC (digital to audio converter) ,synth engine and op amp to drive speaker.

Try measuring lag at different speeds maybe setting minimum to 200mhz would work?

Battery life in performance mode must be abysmal.

It's amazing how powerful these devices are compared to early PCs, there was a time when 386 class and better were banned to export from the US because they could be used in ICBMs to program missile trajectories. That cat really clawed it's way out of that bag.

Along with an old rotary phone for guests to try to use, I'm reworking an ancient laptop with an orange display to DR-DOS and WINDOWS 1. 5 and a 75 baud modem to confound their sensibilities. You wouldn't believe gaming on that.

Digressions aside, looking forward to your work!

Comment

Originally posted by aloznat View Post

Hello!

I can hardly wait. I'd love nothing more than having Lubuntu or Ubuntu running LXDE or XFCE on this thing...

73 DE N4RPS
            Rob

Comment

Working...
            X