The "I'm not buying a Android tv box ... Just yet thread"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of excitement in the community on the Android tv boxes from China, but at this stage I'm not buying and just reading of users experiences on the new toys. This is mainly because of the fact that I love quality and build design and will not buy crap hardware ... Period! I also believe it's worth the wait and will not spend my money unless I make sure there isn't a general hardware issue ... Software issues are tolerated as firmware updates can resolve that provided that development is dedicated to it.

Having said that ....

Which tv boxes are you looking forward to and why?

How long can one hold out for that "perfect" Android box ...

I am looking forward to the Minix X8s and the Geniatech ATV 1800 BD as it has Bluetooth and 4 USB slots. I'm not crazy about the fact that the ATV 1800 has 1 gig of ram however if the firmware is flawless I can't see the reason why there should be 2 gigs. The hardware build quality is usually brilliant. I have a 510b that has been on for the last couple of years with minor reboots or crashes.

Minix has such a good rep and I'm glad they went with the Amlogic CPU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,
    Perfect machine?
    That would be great.. but unlikly.. to be ever made

Im looking forward.. to the s812 with h.265 support (have not spotted any h.265 content/streams yet)
    Or the amd arm boards... aka seattle mini atx boards (if the ever hit the consumer market)
    -with pci/pci-e/sata/gb lan support

I hear/read..that the atv1800 is currenly be sold with two gb/ram (source site:androidpc.es)

Minix perfect rep.. not in my book
    -it was freaktab.. how first got the x7 and cs918 proper/stable running

Anyway..
    If you buy the latest tech... you inherendly become beta tester for that vendor (sad.. but true)
    -if there is hw issue.. then just send your unit back to reseller ( thats warrenty for)

Cheers

Comment

Get one of these and you will be future proof

D-Wave is the leader in the development and delivery of quantum computing systems, software, and services.

Not sure what OS they run though

Comment

Minix X8,MBeelink 2899 (RK3288), H265/HDMI 2.0 seems very promising.
        Realtek 1195 based playersMele/UYESEE/egreatetclooking very promising to but love the design of the Beelink 2899 very nice indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell4you View Post
          Hi,
          Perfect machine?
          That would be great.. but unlikly.. to be ever made

Im looking forward.. to the s812 with h.265 support (have not spotted any h.265 content/streams yet)
          Or the amd arm boards... aka seattle mini atx boards (if the ever hit the consumer market)
          -with pci/pci-e/sata/gb lan support

I hear/read..that the atv1800 is currenly be sold with two gb/ram (source site:androidpc.es)

Minix perfect rep.. not in my book
          -it was freaktab.. how first got the x7 and cs918 proper/stable running

Anyway..
          If you buy the latest tech... you inherendly become beta tester for that vendor (sad.. but true)
          -if there is hw issue.. then just send your unit back to reseller ( thats warrenty for)

Cheers
          Hehe, I agree with you there .... There is no such a thing a a perfect Android box!

RK3188 chipset where pretty jerky IMHO ... Amlogic is the way to go.
          The S802 devices from TronSmart, Beelink boxes scare me due to the hdmi failures.
          Also the Amlogic recall that Minix have ...
          And then it's the developers from the companies that scares me most ....
          If it wasn't for the community support some of these boxes would be crap!

Last edited by dlangejc; 05-26-2014, 19:33.

Comment

I just ordered a Minix neo X8h they are in presale with a 5 gifts at geekbuy.
            I was eyeing the X7, FireTV, and ugoos ut3, and been wanting to buy a good one for months now but just said F... it and went with the X8H the X7 had alot of the comunity support so i thought the X8 will probably have that too

Comment

That's a sweet deal. I'm still holding out .. Sigh ....

Comment

Here is the new PIVOS offering the XiosXs on Tofu OS.

Comment

Originally posted by dlangejc View Post
                  Hehe, I agree with you there .... There is no such a thing a a perfect Android box!

RK3188 chipset where pretty jerky IMHO ... Amlogic is the way to go.
                  The S802 devices from TronSmart, Beelink boxes scare me due to the hdmi failures.
                  What about tegra4?
                  Im not impressed by amlogic in tronsmart s89.
                  Mad katz MOJO?
                  Out: USB audio, HDMI
                  In: Logitech K400 keyboards

Comment

A lot of excitement in the community on the Android tv boxes from China, but at this stage I'm not buying and just reading of users experiences on the new toys. This is mainly because of the fact that I love quality and build design and will not buy crap hardware ... Period! I also believe it's worth the wait and will not spend my money unless I make sure there isn't a general hardware issue ... Software issues are tolerated as firmware updates can resolve that provided that development is dedicated to it.

Having said that ....

Which tv boxes are you looking forward to and why?

How long can one hold out for that "perfect" Android box ...

I am looking forward to the Minix X8s and the Geniatech ATV 1800 BD as it has Bluetooth and 4 USB slots. I'm not crazy about the fact that the ATV 1800 has 1 gig of ram however if the firmware is flawless I can't see the reason why there should be 2 gigs. The hardware build quality is usually brilliant. I have a 510b that has been on for the last couple of years with minor reboots or crashes.

Minix has such a good rep and I'm glad they went with the Amlogic CPU.

I'm partial to the Geniatech units myself as I've found them to be very reliable as you stated, plus I am one of only 2 of their US distributors

The 1800 that will be coming to the US market will now have 2gb of ram, 16gb internal storage. It will be know as the Atv1800e from what their telling me.

Comment

Ralhaz, do you have the 1 GB DDR3 sample or the 2 GB sample? I would love to know as the Antutu score you posted is off the hook to say the least! from my understanding Geniatech is busy with PCBA for these units and finally shipping can begin. The firmware developers are working hard to give us a decent product. I have lots of love for these units but now even more due to the fact that they have listened to customer demand. I hope Finless BOB will back our development of this box. My M3 stills runs like a dream so the new device will be epic.

Comment

Re: The "I'm not buying a Android tv box ... Just yet thread"

Think I'll hold out till after June 25th to see if Google release there Google TV platform at their I/O developer event. I don't think they want Amazon to get to far ahead with the Fire TV and this way I know what bugs the X8 has and how well it really runs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Tegra has no XBMC community support behind it, I afaik last time I checked.
                          The Mad Katz device sounds like an OUYA and it seems pricey.

Comment

Ralhaz, do you have the 1 GB DDR3 sample or the 2 GB sample? I would love to know as the Antutu score you posted is off the hook to say the least! from my understanding Geniatech is busy with PCBA for these units and finally shipping can begin. The firmware developers are working hard to give us a decent product. I have lots of love for these units but now even more due to the fact that they have listened to customer demand. I hope Finless BOB will back our development of this box. My M3 stills runs like a dream so the new device will be epic.

It's the 1gb model.

If I can get my hands on a few 2gb samples, I'll be sure to get one to Bob as we all know he can surely make them better.

Comment

Bob can make everything better. That would be killer! Great hardware on a great rom. What more could we ask for? Having said that I encourage fellow users to donate to his Papal account in his signature. He helps us a lot and I am going to contribute just to say thanks to THE MAN!
                              Then 2 GB ram unit and 4 USB slots will be really useful on the revised devices.

Last edited by dlangejc; 06-02-2014, 20:23.

Comment

Working...
                              X