Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyundai S800 - 8" RK29 1GB RAM, 8GB ROM, 1024x768

Dear Mr. Finless,
    I'm Doc Mike, living here in Shanghai for the past 5 years, enjoying the cheap tech-boom here.
    I have bought a Ployer Momo7 tablet last August 2011, which is by looking at specs, a great tablet, but I found out later that the firmware sucks BIG time, making this otherwise gorgeous tablet frustratingly unstable and hang-happy. I searched and searched and only last May did I find this great website FreakTab.com, which is a great resource for alternative firmwares for tablets "abandoned" by their manufacturer. I luckily found your Finless 1.4a ROM with ext4 conversion (drools), which made my tablet a LOT faster and more stable despite numerous bugs in the original firmware.

Now, I have bought another tablet, a Hyundai s800, which I plan to gift my good ol' Dad. AGAIN by looking at the specs, it seems to be a gorgeous-looking and great tablet, but unfortunately, the firmware is buggy and have tons of non-RK bloatware which sucks a lot of memory, wasting the 1GB RAM. The Hyundai website sucks big time, as a bug only allows IE6 (in Chinese!) to download the latest firmware, which fixed the original firmware's 512MB-only memory error. I have to borrow my Chinese friend's old XP SP2 laptop in order to download the "slow and bloated" firmware that's almost impossible to root. I've tried tons of ways to root it, even installing Linux in my PC, but no luck. I have used tools such as DiskInternal Linux reader, yaffs2img, make_fs2ext3, even tried converting the system.img to ext4 but no luck. Almost impossible to insert a 6755ed superuser and SU in the system.img using Linux or Windows.

My request would be, if possible, 1. to root the latest S800 firmware (ICS4.03), and 2. convert it to ext4 for significant performance benefit (as seen with my Momo7 with your Finless 1.4 firmware.) I'm sure you would make new fans and delight the tons of Hyundai tablet owners who are looking for alternative "rooted and better" firmwares.

the Hyundai website: http://http://www.hyundai-digital.cn/

The mirror link below would make it possible for you to download the Hyundai S800 firmware (without using IE6), click the green button to download.

Thanks a million, and more power to you and to FreakTab.com :-)

Doc Mike

Doc, you got it buddy!

I am downloading it now.

As for EXT4. The kernel modules I have are for Gingerbread kernels. They don't work on ICS kernel. But many new ICS kernels may support EXT4.

What I will do is root this for you and leave it ext3. YOu can test the ROM and root. Then we can try ext4 and see what happens.

Does this have Google Play already or do I need to install that.
    Also what bloat APPs do you want removed. Sometimes it is hard for me to tell what apps are bloat and what are needed as the name of the APP can be something stupid like 1234.apk. If you can go into manage apps in settings, slect ALL to see all of them, and make a list of what to remove, I can do that.

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Doc, your mirrior link is not downloading for me? It is stuck at 0%

Do you know how to FTP? It might be better if you can upload it to my FTP server?

Bob

Comment

Wow Doc... show up, make a request, and disappear?

I cant download this thing. I waited 2 hours and it died at 40%. Tried both the Hyundai site and your mirror.

Bob

Comment

OK I have tried to download this several times.... it fails every time and I do not have a wimpy internet connection either.

I give up

Bob

Comment

Sorry for the late reply.. Still at hospital at work.. Will upload a new link soon..

Originally posted by Finless View Post
            OK I have tried to download this several times.... it fails every time and I do not have a wimpy internet connection either.

I give up

Bob
            Sorry for the late reply, I just got home from work in the hospital (I'm a real doctor), and the wifi there is spotty at best. Time zone difference also. Sorry about the Great Firewall of China, it may be the reason the 115.com got blocked.. (Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, DropBox!!, etc are also blocked in China, and cannot be accessed without subscribing a good VPN.. Even Google and Gmail is affected with veeeerrryy slow access and intermittent blockage as "punishment" for accussing China of hacking them. Thank God FreakTab is not blocked here in China.. :-) )

I'll try to look for a mirror to upload the update.img of Hyundai, and yes, it's in EXT3 format (I just failed to repack it properly, I think.) Do you have any suggestion as to what good cloud storage where I can upload the img file? Again, sorry for the delay in reply..

PS. market and music are not yet updated, will send you a list of the bloatware, essentially starting with dXXXXX.apk, example: dQQHDforAndroid.apk, or dssanguo.apk

Many thanks,

Doc Mike

Comment

Google Drive is also blocked here in China
              Will look for other alternatives where I can upload the img file...

Comment

If you know how to FTP, I can give you a place here on our server to FTP the file. Just PM me when ready and I will PM you back the FTP information.

Bob

Comment

Have just managed to luckily install and setup dropbox after a few tries against the Great Wall..

Here is the DropBox link.. Hopefully it downloads faster..

In the app-->all, the bloatware are all in Chinese, but peeking at the folder, most are dXXXX.apk, and if it is Chinese sounding apk, it's bloatware. Will be back online after a few hours, as time zone is different, and will try out your new firmware as soon as it's out then give you feedback..

Thanks and more power.

Doc Mike

Comment

Doc, ROM downloaded...... and now rooted!

I am uploading a test ROM now.

Stay tuned.

Bob

Comment

OK this is a TEST ROM..... I cannot test this in anyway so I am some what shooting in the dark.

Damn, your right this thing is bloated to hell!

So this test ROM is the stock ROM but just rooted. System is mounted RW and SU and Superuser.apk installed. So you should have full root now. I have not done anything else to it. We need to make baby steps on making a ROM for this.

Also I did not see Google Play installed???... but SHEESH... the APK bloat list is large! Now that you are rooted please go through all the APPs in /system/app and figure out what they are and what can be removed without bricking the system.

IMPORTANT!
                      YOU MUST EraseIDB and click the loader check box in the flash tool before flashing the ROM! I had to make changes to the parameter file. If you do not do this it will fail to boot!

Here is the TEST ROM.

http://video.freaktab.com/?subpath=f...ss12_beta1.zip

Let me know how this first test ROM goes.

Bob

Comment

Thanks a lot! I'll test it and give you feedback as soon as I finish my hospital duty
                        Now, if only I can also root some patients, hmm...

Doc Mike

Comment

Dear Mr. Finless,

I just got home, and tested your beta rooted firmware and... The root works!! :-) Started slightly slower than the old firmware at first, but seems to run much smoother with more stable wifi. I don't know what you changed in the parameter but it certainly made it better...

Now for the list of bloatware I removed with Titanium (all in apk):

d58client jingdongshangcheng dkaixin sanguo_AndroidPad qq_hd_1.8 dandroidqqmusic dikanshu dDZHMobile dsinablog dtianya_android dtwisohu decaida
                          UCBrowser dwangyiMciroblog skype_2.7 dtencentvideo gmail (old version)

pinyinIME (chinese keyboard, google pinyin has newer version 2.0),
                          phonesky (IS the missing android market but named phonesky),
                          dES (EStrong Task Manager, good for some people, but I'll use a different one),
                          gfan (android black market in Chinese)

After removing them and rebooting, it seems slightly faster. And I can download apps that my Dad would need, as the bloatware seems to be essential apps for people who live in China (my dad doesn't live there).

I still have 2 more months before my dad visits me (this pad is my gift to him), so I have time to test a couple of more improved firmwares if you have time to experiment, especially if converted to EXT4 (as you and Fenice57 did with my Momo7) Post here if you have some new projects, I'll check from time to time and try out as your Guinea pig tablet

Thanks a lot for making my Hyundai slimmer, sexier device

Doc Mike

Comment

Great to hear Doc!

I am working on EXT4 for ICS kernels now and I am making good progress! Even getting ClockWork Mod to work now too

Stay tuned... I will work more on this in the next few days.

Bob

Comment

Great!
                              Now a feedback on some very minor issues. Hyundai has physical menu/volume/back buttons, and the on/off switch is a slide switch. Before, any of the physical buttons can be pressed to show up the unlock screen, then you can swipe to open. Now it's just the slide switch that can show up the unlock screen. The slide switch seems flimsy and doesn't look durable. It's just a very minor thing though and it doesn't bother me, just reporting for learning purposes, maybe that's what the purpose of the removed code.

Also, it seems that Google Chrome doesn't work well with RK2918 devices (my Momo7 and Hyundai). Very very slow compared to Firefox or default browser, as compared to when using my reconditioned Atrix 4G.

By the way, do you know what folder they use to store or install the RK29 drivers?

Thanks again; you rock

Doc Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X