MINX NEO X8-H Performance Checklist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SD card size limiitation?

Has anyone tested the X8-H with a 128 sd/micro card? I've tried a 64GB card and it works great.

Thanks,
    Rivers

Comment

I can make a update.zip that will put in all the updated google core and playstore updates.
      Stay tuned....

Bob
      "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
      "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
      "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
      "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
      "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
      "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
      "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
      "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
      "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Please

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Initial Impression

I got my X8-H two days ago. This is my first android media box. The other media players that I have are Roku 3, Popcorn Hour C-200. I have been testing the Minix box for the past two days and I am quite impressed with it. I do have to say that I have run into problems with audio and video playback. I have to dig a little deeper and check whether I have missed something in the player's settings. I have kept alwaysbless original format for the checklist and my scores are given below. I do not have scores for three or four items because I haven't yet tested them yet.

Networking:

I did the speed tests using WiFi Speed Test app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ifispeedtester)

(1) Ethernet speeds – 4
          79 Mbps Up / 79 Mbps Down

(2) 2.4GHz / 5GHz speeds – 3
          I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 (600+1300 Mbps) router, but the link rate achieved by X8-H for 2.4 & 5GHz bands was only 65 Mbps. My Roku 3 in the same location connects at 144 Mbps (max rate for 20MHz channel width).

2.4GHz – 34.6 Mbps Up/ 36.4 Mbps Down
          5GHz – 36.7 Mbps Up/ 38.7 Mbps Down

(3) Bluetooth – haven't tested.

(4) Mac addresses for Wifi / Eth / Bluetooth – 4
          They are the same after reboots.

(5) NFS and CIFS protocols - haven't tested yet.

GUI:

(6) Brightness of display – 3
          I found the brightness to be OK, but I couldn’t find an option to adjust it.

(7) Orientation – 3
          I found one app (TWC TV) that was stuck in the portrait mode. Only the main screen was in portrait mode. This app also didn’t like debugging mode. HBO Go works fine.

Video / Audio:

(8) Audio passthrough – 2
          MX player – No passthrough option. Does not decode Dolby TrueHD. Decodes only core DTS
          XBMC – Does not passthrough DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD
          Stock video player/ 4K Player – No passthrough option. Decodes only core DTS. Does not decode/transcode Dolby TrueHD

(9) Netflix quality – 3
          I think the playback quality is good. It is probably not full HD, may be 720p. For some strange reason, the bitrate overlay on the “Example Short 23.976” clip does not show up. It shows up on all other devices. I didn't see a noticeable difference in quality after spoofing the device id to Nexus 10 or using the modified Netflix apks.

(10) Resolution / Refresh rate / FPS – 3
          I encountered occasional video stuttering during playback.

(11) File formats – 4
          Played mkv, mp4, avi, mov

Hardware:

(12) USB Storage – 4
          Recoginized FAT32, NTFS formats.

(13) LED – 4
          There is a blue LED on the front of the device. It is very very faint and is off when the device is shutdown.

(14) Standby – 4
          Wakes up with remote.

(15) Keyboard – 4
          Minix M1, Logitech TK820 works.

(16) Heat test – 4
          Ambient Room Temp – 74F
          Idle Temp – 86F (as measured from top of the case)
          After 10 min of gaming – 88F (as measured from top of the case)

(17) HDMI input / output - 4
          No artifacts, but I did face a scaling issue. I had to reduce the scaling to 95% and also turn off HDMI auto detection.

(18) Webcams – did not test

(19) Power consumption – 4
          Idle – 3W
          Load – 5W
          Sleep – 2W

Software:

(20) CPU frequency –

(21) Kernel – 3
          Smart phone kernel

(22) Flash video – haven’t tested

(23) Date and time – 4
          Date and time can be changed based on location and they are retained after reboot. Weather module doesn't work anymore. Even when it was working it was displaying incorrect information.

(24) Paid apps - 4
          Was able to install a previously purchased app.
          Last edited by WeK05; 06-10-2014, 17:25. Reason: Updated audio passthrough results

Comment

Originally posted by WeK05 View Post
            I got my X8-H two days ago. This is my first android media box. The other media players that I have are Roku 3, Popcorn Hour C-200. I have been testing the Minix box for the past two days and I am quite impressed with it. I do have to say that I have run into problems with audio and video playback. I have to dig a little deeper and check whether I have missed something in the player's settings. I have kept alwaysbless original format for the checklist and my scores are given below. I do not have scores for three or four items because I haven't yet tested them yet.

Networking:

I did the speed tests using WiFi Speed Test app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ifispeedtester)

(1) Ethernet speeds – 4
            79 Mbps Up / 79 Mbps Down

(2) 2.4GHz / 5GHz speeds – 3
            I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 (600+1300 Mbps) router, but the link rate achieved for both the bands was only 65 Mbps. My Roku 3 connects at 144 Mbps (max rate for 20MHz channel width).

2.4GHz – 34.6 Mbps Up/ 36.4 Mbps Down
            5GHz – 6.7 Mbps Up/ 38.7 Mbps Down

(3) Bluetooth – haven't tested.

(4) Mac addresses for Wifi / Eth / Bluetooth – 4
            They are the same after reboots.

(5) NFS and CIFS protocols - haven't tested yet.

GUI:

(6) Brightness of display – 3
            I found the brightness to be OK, but I couldn’t find an option to adjust it.

(7) Orientation – 3
            I found one app (TWC TV) that was stuck in the portrait mode. Only the main screen was in portrait mode. This app also didn’t like debugging mode. HBO Go works fine.

Video / Audio:

(8) Audio passthrough – 2
            MX player – DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD incorrect passthrough. My receiver (Onkyo TX-NR929) displays only DTS and Dolby TrueHD as non-Dolby signal.
            XBMC – Passes through correctly, but all mkvs that I have tried quit playing after couple of seconds. I am not sure what is happening here.
            Stock video player/ 4K Player – DTS-HD MA incorrect passthrough, Dolby TrueHD – No Audio

(9) Netflix quality – 3
            I think the playback quality is good. It is probably not full HD, may be 720p. For some strange reason, the bitrate overlay on the “Example Short 23.976” clip does not show up. It shows up on all other devices. I didn't see a noticeable difference in quality after spoofing the device id to Nexus 10 or using the modified Netflix apks.

(10) Resolution / Refresh rate / FPS – 3
            I encountered occasional video stuttering during playback.

(11) File formats – 4
            Played mkv, mp4, avi, mov

Hardware:

(12) USB Storage – 4
            Recoginized FAT32, NTFS formats.

(13) LED – 4
            There is a blue LED on the front of the device. It is very very faint and is off when the device is shutdown.

(14) Standby – 4
            Wakes up with remote.

(15) Keyboard – 4
            Minix M1, Logitech TK820 works.

(16) Heat test – 4
            Ambient Room Temp – 74F
            Idle Temp – 86F (as measured from top of the case)
            After 10 min of gaming – 88F (as measured from top of the case)

(17) HDMI input / output - 4
            No artifacts, but I did face a scaling issue. I had to reduce the scaling to 95% and also turn off HDMI auto detection.

(18) Webcams – did not test

(19) Power consumption – 4
            Idle – 3W
            Load – 5W
            Sleep – 2W

Software:

(20) CPU frequency –

(21) Kernel – 3
            Smart phone kernel

(22) Flash video – haven’t tested

(23) Date and time – 4
            Date and time can be changed based on location and they are retained after reboot. Weather module doesn't work anymore. Even when it was working it was displaying incorrect information.

(24) Paid apps - 4
            Was able to install a previously purchased app.
            The Amlogic processor doesn't support TrueHD, the spec says only DD, DD+ and DTS, so the only way to decode it is to use the transcode setting inside XBMC to transcode it to DD by software.

Comment

PS3 sixaxis segmentation fault

Deleted
              Last edited by blinkone; 06-08-2014, 19:03.
              Please consider making a Donation to freakTab

Comment

Originally posted by MINIX View Post
                The Amlogic processor doesn't support TrueHD, the spec says only DD, DD+ and DTS, so the only way to decode it is to use the transcode setting inside XBMC to transcode it to DD by software.
                Isn't that the specs for hardware decoding or does it apply to HDMI passthrough also?

It seemed rather strange to me that the audio output option in mbox settings had no effect on the actual audio output. I was getting audio even when "Keep HDMI Audio output" was off.

Comment

Originally posted by WeK05 View Post
                  Isn't that the specs for hardware decoding or does it apply to HDMI passthrough also?

It seemed rather strange to me that the audio output option in mbox settings had no effect on the actual audio output. I was getting audio even when "Keep HDMI Audio output" was off.
                  That option is useful with A2 Airmouse only to keep the audio on TV.

Comment

WiFi Spec

Hmm, from the tests here it sounds like the WiFi only has 65Mbps capability like the X7.

Don't tell me Minix have only fitted it with a chipset capable of 65Mbps again??!!

Comment

Wi-Fi Module

Originally posted by adrenalize View Post
                      Hmm, from the tests here it sounds like the WiFi only has 65Mbps capability like the X7.

Don't tell me Minix have only fitted it with a chipset capable of 65Mbps again??!!
                      According to Geekbuying, the Wi-Fi module is AP6330 which is usually BCM4330/BCM40183. BCM4330 is dual band single stream 802.11n, 20Mhz channel, short guard interval rates upto 72Mbps. I don't know what the Wi-Fi module in X7 is.

Comment

Working...
                      X