Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nexus 7, I broke it and seek your opinion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nexus 7, I broke it and seek your opinion...

Having been oh-so-careful with all my toys for oh-so-long, I managed to drop my new tablet 24 hrs out-of-the-box. Needless to say, the screen/digitizer (likely 90% of the overall cost to build the damn thing) is shattered. Ironically, my searches for replacement parts have turned up numerous techie articles about how the device out-performs all iPad models in drop tests... Lol.

Further, the replacements I've found thus far are in "used" condition (not sure how this can be, but whatever), and now I'm on the fence with regards to my options from here on out... I've begun the RMA process with ASUS, and though I am sure their techs will replace the screen with OEM parts, with at least near-perfect results, but I am responsible for shipping fees, parts, and labor.

However, there is a local company that repairs iOS and android phones as well as Galaxy tabs... Since I can't find what I need online in new condition, should I continue the RMA process for repair or suck it up and deal with the local offering which may well leave me with a questionably used replacement? Or stick with ASUS?

Suck it up and get original parts from the manufacturer. imho, always best.

Apart from not dropping it what are your thoughts on it? I have decided to replace my trusty 10g2 but keep it at my girlfriends for her or back up in case i forget mine, after researching every model i fancied and weighing up my own list of pros and cons with the yuando, the archos with the 250gb drive et al, i decided on the nexus 16gb but never having seen one in the flesh or know anyone own one firsthand i would be interested on your thoughts.

Cheers

Everything will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then its not the end!

Comment

I'd be in tears if I dropped my Nexus 7. That being said, I would 1st go thru the process of getting Asus to send new replacement parts, then take the Nexus to the local shop to get fixed with the new parts. If you find this cost prohibitive, buy a new Nexus and sell your old one on ****.

Comment

Originally posted by jamieb158 View Post
        Suck it up and get original parts from the manufacturer. imho, always best.

Apart from not dropping it what are your thoughts on it? I have decided to replace my trusty 10g2 but keep it at my girlfriends for her or back up in case i forget mine, after researching every model i fancied and weighing up my own list of pros and cons with the yuando, the archos with the 250gb drive et al, i decided on the nexus 16gb but never having seen one in the flesh or know anyone own one firsthand i would be interested on your thoughts.

Cheers

Everything will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then its not the end!
        After returning my Polaroid for a bad display under warranty, I got an arnova 7 g3 which then had the uSB port break on me after 2 months. So while waiting on a RMA from tech support at arnova, I got a nexus 7 , liking it so far.
        The USB charging port is the same as on the arnova so I'm being extremely careful when charging it.
        Their are 4 contacts on the bottom for charging with a dock.
        The home screen is always in portrait mode but there is an app for that.
        The worst thing is that the USB has been disabled by Google for external storage, but I plan to plug a hard drive in my router for a network drive.

I went with an extended warranty on this one so I can swap it at the store if it breaks. Lol arghh.
        A one year manufacturers warranty doesn't mean much if it takes months to get thru to tech support and months to repair.

Also check the glass carefully for lifting at the left edge this has been causing some breakage problems on forums I've checked.

Comment

Nexus 7

It took me awhile to jump ship from my polaroid pmid701i after I rooted it and also installed linux to it. But I did make the jump to the Nexus in the end. Even though the 3.5 mm jack will only do sound it didnt slow me down much. This only slightly disappointed me because I use a Square Card reader for some of my business. But hey I have an incredible 2 that works just fine for that and I tend to carry it more places then my tablet. i have yet to unlock and root my Nexus but it still runs better than I had expected. Overall I would say if your thinking about the Nexus go for it. There is not much you can do with the NFC on it, but everything else seems to be a charm. It has a decent camera, I like that I can use the HDMI out, and it runs games so smoothly. Not really a big Nvidia fan, but the tegra 3 seems to be pretty nice. No heat issues either. I did wait until after the screen lift issue to by mine so no problem there. I doubt I will get the dock for, but thats personal preference. A friend of mine does have his rooter and running at 2ghz and still no heat issue. Battery life is a lil shorter, but hey that's what happens when you OC a tablet, plus there are power saver apps that can be looked into to help with battery issues. I love my nexus 7 and plan to stick with it for awhile. Oh yeah no micro SD slot, but I dont tend to use alot of storage thanks to having a NAS hooked to my router that I can access via any tablet.

Comment

hmmm

My nexus 7 came without HDMI, I guess I could stream to the htpc if I needed.
            There is an app that will allow reading from storage devices over USB, but not writing to. This may be fixed in a jellybean update.
            I'll prob get some kind of dock to save wear and tear on the USB jack because I've become paranoid.
            The camera is front facing, suitable for video chat.
            If you have an htpc a good app is gmote. Remote for mouse and keyboard and media controls, also can stream media to the tablet. Free.
            NFC is I believe near field communication. You can touch the back to another device and exchange data like web pages or contact info, also pay at checkout lines with Google wallet. Might get interesting.

Peas out.

Comment

more nexus 7

Yeah I have seen where some of them do not support the HDMI kind of weird. But then again that is just like the 701i, some have the video output and some dont. Did you go with the 16 or the 8? And is it one of the first model's which had the screen lift issue or one after that was fixed?

As far as the NFC (which is Near Feild Communication) its kind of interesting. Very few US model phones and other tablets do not support this, nor do a lot of places in the US all together. NFC is bigger in Europe and China. I do believe you can use it in place of the mastercard speedpass, but I have not tried as no where in the town I live in uses them. A lot of people her said it was a security issue because you now only need to get a foot or so away from a person to supposedly steal their info.

The camera if i remember correctly is only 2 mega-pixels, so dont think its a camera replacement because its only front facing,but like you said its great for video chat. Works great with SKYPE and QIK. I have not tried mine on any other video chat apps yet.

There are some games that make use of the camera function, like kinectamls, but will not actually work with the front facing camera. You are supposed to be able to actually take pics with the animal in your own house or outside in every day life. But this does not work.

Any one here have theirs rooted and unlocked? I have heard you can push them a little past 2ghz but I have not tried to root mine yet because it runs great with out it. If you have a link for one of the docks can I get a link. I would like to look at them. The one thing that kinda kills me is that its only 4 cooper contacts for the doc and it seems that if you didnt keep them covered they could get a bit messy and not work correctly. Any extra features that this doc enables?

Comment

Originally posted by ghostfayce View Post
                Yeah I have seen where some of them do not support the HDMI kind of weird. But then again that is just like the 701i, some have the video output and some dont. Did you go with the 16 or the 8? And is it one of the first model's which had the screen lift issue or one after that was fixed?

16-just got it a few weeks ago to replace a broken tablet that replaced a broken tablet. doh. No lift on mine.

As far as the NFC (which is Near Feild Communication) its kind of interesting. Very few US model phones and other tablets do not support this, nor do a lot of places in the US all together. NFC is bigger in Europe and China. I do believe you can use it in place of the mastercard speedpass, but I have not tried as no where in the town I live in uses them. A lot of people her said it was a security issue because you now only need to get a foot or so away from a person to supposedly steal their info.

I wonder if a dock could use this or blue tooth for file transfer?

The camera if i remember correctly is only 2 mega-pixels, so dont think its a camera replacement because its only front facing,but like you said its great for video chat. Works great with SKYPE and QIK. I have not tried mine on any other video chat apps yet.

There are some games that make use of the camera function, like kinectamls, but will not actually work with the front facing camera. You are supposed to be able to actually take pics with the animal in your own house or outside in every day life. But this does not work.

Any one here have theirs rooted and unlocked? I have heard you can push them a little past 2ghz but I have not tried to root mine yet because it runs great with out it. If you have a link for one of the docks can I get a link. I would like to look at them. The one thing that kinda kills me is that its only 4 cooper contacts for the doc and it seems that if you didnt keep them covered they could get a bit messy and not work correctly. Any extra features that this doc enables?
                I think the contacts are gold plated copper. I hate to link to other forums here, I did a link on the ARNOVA 7g3 to a device specific forum and haven't seen a new post since. But since this area is a bit sparse anyway,

I haven't rooted yet as I like it too much so far and don't need any added functions yet. But if you need 2 way USB transfer or updated kernel from adk it is an option. I'm waiting to see what the next push update brings, I got an update the first time I set up WiFi so, unlike some other nameless manufacturers, cough ARNOVA cough Polaroid cough, we might not be so unsupported. See above link for root, docks, and stay on this forum!

Comment

Originally posted by wsmmwx
                  I recently came across your article and have been reading along. I want to express my admiration of your writing skill and ability to make readers read from the beginning to the end. I would like to read newer posts and to share my thoughts with you.
                  Moncler Outlet
                  Moncler Jackets Outlet
                  Moncler Jackets

Ego stroke? Or advert.
                  If you have something to share, start a thread!
                  The great thing about open dialog is seeing how others order their chaos.
                  Last edited by matt; 10-11-2012, 16:22.

Comment

back on thread

If I were to break my screen and it wasn't covered by warranty, I would probably replace it and wait for a cheap screen to become available. I got mine at micro center and they offered a warranty extension that covered a broken screen for three years. No dealing with RMA or tech support just swap it or take credit on a new device. 3 years for 119$ I believe. I did the cheaper ext. That didn't cover screen hope I don't regret it.

I justify my tablet costs by all the things it replaces. Books, games, laptop, GPS, newspaper, &c. The price is more than offset by my savings. Oh, and also it's fun.

Hang in there and keep checking back, hopefully someone will find a source for the display and link to it here.

Comment

Matt:
                      I discovered gmote a few months back. I use Plex to stream to my TV from my PC thru Roku...but the Plex app for android isn't free. Gmote is and does the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ZonaMojo View Post
                        Matt:
                        I discovered gmote a few months back. I use Plex to stream to my TV from my PC thru Roku...but the Plex app for android isn't free. Gmote is and does the same thing.
                        I've been using gmote a while, works great for that. When streaming to tablet it relies on an older version of VLC that doesn't fast forward or read wtv files well. I'll try putting new VLC in gmote folder next.

Comment

Working...
                        X