MK908II Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MK908II Poll

I would like to get a poll going with MK908II users answering the following:-

1. Is your MK908II stable?
    2. Which ROM do you use
    3. What partition sizes do you use.

Im trying to find out what appears to be stable and why. My thoery is that any ROM that does a quick shut down is causing corruption of the nand storage. Any shut down that doesnt take a couple of secs at least to shutdown is just issuing a reboot command which is more like pulling the power on the device. Picuntu is the most stable of any OS for these sticks for me and i believe that is due to how well it cares for the filesystem including issuing a proper reboot and shutdown.

I will probably add more to this first post as i start getting more info. But to cut a long story short i think we can overcome any instability with making sure all caches are empty on reboot or recover a non booting stick (stuck at boot screen) with a fully functioning CWM recovery to format cache and dalvick cache. I know i can make it boot if stuck at boot screen by just flashing misc.img which then formats data and cache.

I think the following may be missing in any kitkat builds for this stick and probably for a lot of others as well

Shutdown process

frameworks/base/core/java/com/android/internal/app/ShutdownThread.java
    Through beginShutdownSequence(), actual shutdown process is done in run().
    1. Broadcasts ACTION_SHUTDOWN Intent
    2. Calls shutdown of ActivityManager service
    3. Calls disable of Bluetooth service
    4. Calls Radio(false) of Phone service
    5. Calls shutdown of Mount service
    6. Vibrate for a while
    7. Calls Power.shutdown();
    Im desperatly trying to get to the bottom of the stability issue on these!!!!!

Mine's stable. I use the T010 stock ROM with an un-overclocked kernel. Partition sizes as specified by the only parameter file that comes as part of the image.

All I've done so far is to root it (manually, via adb shell using SuperSu bits) and flash abdul_pt's TWRP 2.7.0.0 recovery using the flash_image tool, also via adb shell.

Comment

Can I ask you what nand brand it is please?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Comment

No clue. I have not yet had cause to open the case.

Comment

My 908ii is quite stable, running Finless A928 rom with D33 v3 kernel @1608 600 720, it's a t chip. Leave it powered up all the time as it sometimes won't boot due to the unlocked clocks in D33 kernel, loses connection with USB hub over night and have to unplug and plug in again for airmouse to work. Besides that get the odd app crash mainly youtube

Comment

I had huge problems using my own MK908II (freezes, restarts, followed by nand corruptions). I solve stability issues by placing my unit on a fan which i remove from a laptop cooling base and powered by USB port of ΜΚ908ii.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140624_180215.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	433928

Comment

Looks like it might be cooking the nand as standard *80(

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LawlessPPC View Post
                1. Is your MK908II stable?
                2. Which ROM do you use
                3. What partition sizes do you use.
                1. First MK908II I got was not stable, it crashed usually when watching movies. I think factory was not applied thermal paste on whole CPU, because I found "burn spot" on top of CPU when I opened it up. But I got a replacement unit, then I made my own cooling system before the first boot of the device and now it is stable.
                >>My cooling mod

2. OEM firmware now (205j2105) that was installed on device. I tried Finless 1.6 on previous device just to test stability.

3. OEM partition, 2GB app space.

Comment

Working...
                X