720P fixer patch for Finless 1.7 ROM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

720P fixer patch for Finless 1.7 ROM

OK folks. Several people with 720P only TVs were having a problem with 105K4 or my Finless 1.7 which is built from it. If your a 1080P only person, then you do not even need this. This issue is for 720P TV only owners or 1080P TV owners that want to use 720P HDMI mode!

I have a fix.... But before I tell you what it does, I need you to understand what the problem is.
    This will be technical and some might not understand everything I say. But I will explain why things work the way they do and why this is a problem.

The problem:
    On RockChip ROMs to get true 1080 or true 720 it required a custom kernel. This is because you cannot switch RK on the fly. However AML's kernel and hardware you can switch HDMI resolution on the fly!
    But this causes other problems and that is Android was just NOT made to switch it's resolution on the fly. Beelink has tried to work around this and both ways they have done it is not perfect.

Personally I don't think you can do it on the fly and must reboot. Here is why.

Info:
    For Android to have proper sized desktop and icons the setting ro.sf.lcd_density has to be set.
    For a 1080P setting lcd_density has to be 240 for icons to be the right perspective.
    For 720P setting lcd_density has to be set to 160.
    However, here is the GOTCHA! You cannot change lcd_density on the fly! It requires a reboot to do it! Android only reads this setting on boot up!

What is going on?
    ROMs prior to 105K4 what they did was when a resolution switched between 1080 and 720, they had a script that would do this BUT they tried to change lcd_density which again wont work without a reboot.
    Thus when you exited to the desktop all your icons were super big and messed up looking! However if you reboot, all is fixed! Your in 720P mode and icons are correct. See! A reboot was required!
    Same thing if going from 720 back up to 1080 except after exiting settings, now the icons and desktop are TINY! Once again a reboot fixes it.... Getting the picture on the reboot thing?

Finally there is also another issue but it may not have even been noticed by most. That is if your TV is a 1080P TV but for some reason you want to run in 720P resolution. So you switch to 720P and reboot. All is good. So what is the problem? If you turn off your TV or switch inputs, when your turn on your TV or switch inputs back to the TV box, now kernel resets and notices you have a 1080P TV and switches the HDMI output back to 1080P! Well guess what? Android doesn't know this and thus is in 720P mode. What you get is a small 720P screen box on a big 1080 screen.
    So just remember this! Nothing you can do about this specific issue! Just don't power off your TV or switch inputs without rebooting the TV box!

OK so in 105K4 Beelink is trying to solve this and they kind of did solve it. No matter if your in 720P or 1080P they locked Android to 1080P resolution. Yes the HDMI output is 720P (or 1080) but android is locked to 1080. The problem this causes is with some applications and especially media players that use hardware decoding OR specifically look at what resolution Android is set to. XBMC is a prime example. It either sees Android is in 1080P mode or it sees HDMI is in 720P mode. Then what happens is video playback is all jacked up because of this conflict.
    Well we can't go fix all those APPs that have this problem can we? So we have to go back to letting Android switch to 720P resolution when HDMI is outputting 720P.

OK so that's the issue and what has been done to try and work around it. Again this issue is because AML allows real 720/1080 HDMI mode switching but Android doesn't! Thus a reboot is required to do it properly.

__________________________________________________ ____________

So I made a patch to allow Android to be set back to 720P and not locked on 1080P. But as I explained above you need to reboot to do it right!

What I did was patched services and took out the code that is locking Android to 1080P.
    I left the Mbox setting alone so this means this is a MORTH between how 104K4 and 105K4 worked.

When you switch to 720P then when you return to the desktop your icons will NOT be all messed up like 104K4. Yes HDMI is outputting 720P now. BUT! Android is still stuck on 1080 resolution! XBMC and other apps will still have an issue if you try to run them at this point! So please use the reboot APP in my 1.7 ROM and reboot. After reboot HDMI will be 720 and Android will be 720 and you should be good to go!

Now like I explained above. If you have a 1080P TV and are in 720P mode, if your turn off your TV or switch inputs, when you come back you will have a small 720 resolution box screen on a 1080P TV screen! There is nothing I can do about that! So don't power of your TV or switch inputs or you will have to reboot the box.

Finally another cool thing I did was modify the boot logo! If your booting in 1080P the AML badge in the center of the boot logo will say 1080P. If your booting in 720 the badge on the logo will say 720P. This way you know what mode your booting up in

OK I know this was technical. But I wanted you to know the limitations here!

Here is the patcher download.

Note: I have ONLY tested this on my Finless 1.7 ROM. It might also work on the Stock 105K4 ROM but you are on your own if you try it on the stock ROM.

FIRST BOOT!
    Because framework has been touched on first boot after applying this patch you might see a dialog saying "Android is upgrading apps". Depending on how many you have installed, this could take a while. LET IT FINISH!

UNZIP THIS and read the readme to install! DO NOT try to just put this download ZIP on SDcard and use it!

PATCH -> 720P patch for s89/s82/M8 Finless ROM 1.7 (10 megs)

UPDATE 6/16
    By request here are the CPU fixer patches WITH the 720P patch.
    Use this ONLY if you want to tweak the CPU and use the 720P patch.

PATCH -> CPU fixer patch for my 720P patch for s89/s82/M8 Finless ROM 1.7 (42 megs)

Enjoy,
    Bob
    Last edited by Finless; 06-17-2014, 02:17.
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

I got what you mean,Really thanks for your hard job..

I will think of a better way in term of your advice.
    Easy way to catch LOG -> Search 'Syslog' in Google Play,then install it and catch log

Comment

thanks Bob and Oman team collaboration does wonders

JustMe
      Bugs are Sons of Glitches!

If you like my work and it's helped you, you can always shout me a beer or two Click - Here

Links : Visit JustMe ROMs - EM8 Square Roms - EM8 OpenELEC Rom - ADB GUI

JustMe

Comment

Cheers for patch bob it works! Have one problem with it if I flash a CPU fix when the boot logo stops I am left with a blank screen.I have to pull HDMI cable out and back in and I am left with a small screen inside the screen tried reboot problem still there don't know where I am going wrong.

Sent from my NX403A using Tapatalk

Comment

since a resolution change requires a reboot, how about once the user selects the resolution change it does a forced soft reboot?

that way when it reboots it will be auto set to the correct density and won't result in users changing resolution then not reading and wondering why it's still not working on their 720p TV.

This doesn't bode well for android media players though.. I hope switching framerate between 1080i/1080p23/1080p50/1080p60 is a lot easier and solvable.

Comment

really nice and good explanation
            RK3288 Devices
            - Overview BOX (LINK !)
            - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
            UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
            Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
            Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
            Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

I would have to make CPU fixer for the new boot.img I made for the 720P patch!
              So right now you cannot use a CPU patch on top of the 720P patch.

The reason is I had to change init.amlogicboard.rc in boot.img. Same file I mod for CPU fix.

If you really want a CPU fix and the 720P patch I can make them.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by gizmomelb View Post
                since a resolution change requires a reboot, how about once the user selects the resolution change it does a forced soft reboot?

that way when it reboots it will be auto set to the correct density and won't result in users changing resolution then not reading and wondering why it's still not working on their 720p TV.

This doesn't bode well for android media players though.. I hope switching framerate between 1080i/1080p23/1080p50/1080p60 is a lot easier and solvable.
                Yes this is one of the approaches I told Oman to think about.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by gizmomelb View Post
                  I have my fingers and toes crossed that this becomes a reality! I've searched and searched Google Play and the XDA forums for something that has already been implemented but I'm struggling to find anything. In theory, switching the framerate should be easy because you can already do it without a reboot.

Comment

Re: NEW - 720P fixer patch for Finless 1.7 ROM

Originally posted by Finless View Post

The reason is I had to change init.amlogicboard.rc in boot.img. Same file I mod for CPU fix.

Bob
                    would really love if you would take the time to make new fixer thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by saor11 View Post

I will do it tonight.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post

Bob

The arly kermal 3.10.10 worked at 720p 18042014

JustMe
                        Bugs are Sons of Glitches!

If you like my work and it's helped you, you can always shout me a beer or two Click - Here

Links : Visit JustMe ROMs - EM8 Square Roms - EM8 OpenELEC Rom - ADB GUI

JustMe

Comment

Originally posted by saor11 View Post

OK CPU fixer patchs on top of 720P patch is now posted.

It's in the first post of this thread at the bottom.

Bob

Comment

Thanks bob for the CPU fixer much appreciated
                            Bob=mc²

Comment

Bob

Tried the 1200 fix and 1000 fix the 1200 is Max 1600 and the 1000 is Max 1200 on CPU z ?

Comment

Working...
                              X