Bob just got a N101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob just got a N101

He is going nuts with it right now. Stay tuned.

Originally posted by WillJames View Post
    He is going nuts with it right now. Stay tuned.
    Ha ha haa mine just came about 20 min ago can't wait to see what things bob can do with it...

Also I'll be making a donation next pay....A nice one

Comment

Originally posted by arc555arc View Post
      Ha ha haa mine just came about 20 min ago can't wait to see what things bob can do with it...

Also I'll be making a donation next pay....A nice one
      Wow seems like a few people are getting these!

Maybe this is the new benchmark for the site as the tablet has some very nice hardware.

Post links to where you got it from and a heads up of shipping etc

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2
      Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
      <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_s-xclick">
      <input type="hidden" name="hosted_button_id" value="3GN5JFZXXQLCA">
      <input type="image" src="http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&d=1341333954&thumb =1" border="0" name="submit" alt="PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online.">
      https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_GB/i/scr/pixel.gif
      </form>

Comment

Originally posted by Damo View Post
        Wow seems like a few people are getting these!Maybe this is the new benchmark for the site as the tablet has some very nice hardware. Post links to where you got it from and a heads up of shipping etcSent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2
        http://www.in4dealz.com/deals/10-1--...w-N101-600084/. Bought it 6 days ago. The one I got is black on front and silver on back (the picture of the tab in link looks gray or bluish on front). Have not messed with it too much, but it runs real smooth from what I seen. Screen is really awsome, cameras are nice (compared to my 10 G2).It is also has more of a square shape (looked to be more rectangular in pic to me) Thats all i got...to excited to write more...get one if you all can won't regret it....I don't

Comment

You lucky Bob is on the job the new dual core is all new to Bob but he is already on it like a rash lol

Thanks for the info that is the same place I ordered Bobs from.

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2
          Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
          <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_s-xclick">
          <input type="hidden" name="hosted_button_id" value="3GN5JFZXXQLCA">
          <input type="image" src="http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&d=1341333954&thumb =1" border="0" name="submit" alt="PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online.">
          https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_GB/i/scr/pixel.gif
          </form>

Comment

Things I have found so far

OK it appears looking at other forums the ROM I got is more recent than other ROMs dumps out there.

My build date is July 16, 2012.

This tablet rocks. No offense to Arnova but the 10b G3 now seems like a plastic toy next to this at about the same price!!!! It is fast as hell, video on it rocks. The screen has great viewing angles! It has 10 point touch which does wonders with things like Google Earth. I have not had time to play games on it yet but just using it, you can tell it is very responsive! The ICS implementation seem good but needs tweaks.

FYI the file system is already EXT4

However with that said here is what I am finding so far.

1) Wifi. It works with my Home Wifi and with my Work Corp. Wifi. Both of these are standard Wifi "infrastructure" type Wifi spots. However it will not connect to the public Time Warner Wifi HotSpots. My Arnova does and my iPod does. But this fails. It keeps cycling through obtaining IP address and saved. It never connects. Later I will try Adhoc wifi hotspots.

2) The screen keeps coming on every 5 minutes or so then going back to sleep. It appears to be apps trying to get an update or when a notification appears, the screen is turning on. This is what I believe is killing battery time. Current users are complaining of battery life while in sleep. I am pretty sure this is the cause. Should be easy to fix.

3) WATCH the power jack! It sticks out quite a bit when plugged into the tablet. This is just a accident waiting to happen. Bump that wrong and you could break your power jack.

4) There is some Chinese bloat apps that need to come off the thing. Expect a Finless ROM soon to do the basic (root, debloat, etc). Later I will do more work on the ROM but we need a clean base to start.

5) The built in Launcher is Go Launcher HD. My ROM will put back the stock ICS launcher and you can install GO Launcher yourself if you like. At least you have a choice

Other than that, these are the only things I have noticed so far.

Now status on doing ROMs for this thing.

1) RockChip has again changed the format of update.img for the RK30. To date no one has a AFPTool for making RK30 update.img's from the parts!
            2) The only flash tool known to work so far is 1.5 of the RKBatch Tool. This will ONLY flash a update.img.
            You see where I am going with this? If we cant make a update.img we cant make custom ROMs as we only have one flash tool right now and it requires update.img

3) The RKAndroid Tool 1.29 we use today for RK29 to flash the ROM parts (e.g. system, boot, kernel, etc) does not work on RK30. So we have no tool here yet. BUT.... I have modified a very unique version I found and it will now see the RK30 in flash mode But I have not tried to flash a ROM yet. I will get the balls up to try it tonight ot tomorrow.

OK so there is a MIND dump from me so far. Bottom line for ROM developers we need the new RK30 AFP tool or I need to figure out what to change to make it work. OR we need a RKAndroid type flash tool. Again I may have solved this but don't know for sure yet.

Stay tuned,
            Bob
            "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
            "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
            "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
            "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
            "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
            "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
            "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
            "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
            "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
              OK it appears looking at other forums the ROM I got is more recent than other ROMs dumps out there.

My build date is July 16, 2012.

This tablet rocks. No offense to Arnova but the 10b G3 now seems like a plastic toy next to this at about the same price!!!! It is fast as hell, video on it rocks. The screen has great viewing angles! It has 10 point touch which does wonders with things like Google Earth. I have not had time to play games on it yet but just using it, you can tell it is very responsive! The ICS implementation seem good but needs tweaks.

FYI the file system is already EXT4

However with that said here is what I am finding so far.

1) Wifi. It works with my Home Wifi and with my Work Corp. Wifi. Both of these are standard Wifi "infrastructure" type Wifi spots. However it will not connect to the public Time Warner Wifi HotSpots. My Arnova does and my iPod does. But this fails. It keeps cycling through obtaining IP address and saved. It never connects. Later I will try Adhoc wifi hotspots.

2) The screen keeps coming on every 5 minutes or so then going back to sleep. It appears to be apps trying to get an update or when a notification appears, the screen is turning on. This is what I believe is killing battery time. Current users are complaining of battery life while in sleep. I am pretty sure this is the cause. Should be easy to fix.

3) WATCH the power jack! It sticks out quite a bit when plugged into the tablet. This is just a accident waiting to happen. Bump that wrong and you could break your power jack.

4) There is some Chinese bloat apps that need to come off the thing. Expect a Finless ROM soon to do the basic (root, debloat, etc). Later I will do more work on the ROM but we need a clean base to start.

5) The built in Launcher is Go Launcher HD. My ROM will put back the stock ICS launcher and you can install GO Launcher yourself if you like. At least you have a choice

Other than that, these are the only things I have noticed so far.

Now status on doing ROMs for this thing.

1) RockChip has again changed the format of update.img for the RK30. To date no one has a AFPTool for making RK30 update.img's from the parts!
              2) The only flash tool known to work so far is 1.5 of the RKBatch Tool. This will ONLY flash a update.img.
              You see where I am going with this? If we cant make a update.img we cant make custom ROMs as we only have one flash tool right now and it requires update.img

3) The RKAndroid Tool 1.29 we use today for RK29 to flash the ROM parts (e.g. system, boot, kernel, etc) does not work on RK30. So we have no tool here yet. BUT.... I have modified a very unique version I found and it will now see the RK30 in flash mode But I have not tried to flash a ROM yet. I will get the balls up to try it tonight ot tomorrow.

OK so there is a MIND dump from me so far. Bottom line for ROM developers we need the new RK30 AFP tool or I need to figure out what to change to make it work. OR we need a RKAndroid type flash tool. Again I may have solved this but don't know for sure yet.

Stay tuned,
              Bob
              thats good and bad at the same time. im happy for you for getting the new tablet!!!! i wanna get it sooo bad! i hope you are able to get roms to flash on it cause that would be amazing! it seems like a great tablet and i might just have to sell my arnova 10 G2 and upgrade to this one i wish you good luck with the rom situation. do you think you could post some pictures of the tablet working? or maybe a video? i am very curious about this tablet now. also with the current battery problem, whats the longest you think you would get out of it if you use it 24/7?

kyle
              Thanks soooooo much!! You are awesome!
              Need a graphic artist for games, want a sketch, painting, pm me and we can work something out!
              FREAKTAB is FREAKIN' AMAZING!
              Kyle

Comment

I have been looking at these since bob first mentioned getting one, i was thinking of upgrading to the carbon but the 250gb drive on these is appealing. But then i still love my 10g2 and find it very productive.... Oh the decisions. Lol

Everything will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then its not the end!

Comment

Odd, my build date is July 14 on mine. I really like the tablet so far, looking forward to a Finless ROM. The Screen looks great, at least as good at the iPAD 1 if not better. I think my iPad 3 has a better screen but it was 1K not 200.00. Overall the speed and fit and finish of this tablet looks REALLY good for a ~200.00 tablet. Bring on the ROM Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by jamieb158 View Post
                    I have been looking at these since bob first mentioned getting one, i was thinking of upgrading to the carbon but the 250gb drive on these is appealing. But then i still love my 10g2 and find it very productive.... Oh the decisions. Lol

Everything will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then its not the end!
                    This tablet is SO MUCH NICER in every way than the 10 G2. Once these get mainstream, Archos is going to have a hard time selling their G3 line IMHO. No comparison in quality or feel or display.

Comment

FYI, I was mistaken. My build date is July 14. Not sure why July 16 stuck in my head. SO my ROM is what everyone else is getting now with those problems I mentioned about.

The screen turning on by itself turns out to be a probelm Arnova had early on as well. While asleep it is reporting that the sdcard was unexpectedly removed. This turns the screen on to display that warning. I removed the SDcard and this stopped happening.

I fixed thison the Arnova but I forget how I did it now. Hoping I can fix it here too as it is annoying.

Bob

Comment

I found another issue and I think these maybe related. Like we had with the Arnova, this tablet will not even see ADHOC Wifi networks period! We fixed that on Nextbook and Arnova by finding a WPA_Supplicant file that supported adhoc. So we maybe searching again

As I recall when we did start replacing the WPA_Supplicant file, the SDcard unmounting in sleep also went away. It's starting to come back to me now the old problem (now new with this Tab) we had months ago.....

Bob

Comment

Working...