Minix Neo X8-H stability problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minix Neo X8-H stability problems

My Minix X8-H has stability problems. It goes to bootscreen at any given moment and sometimes it completely locks up so that I need to pull the plug.

It has been the same with original firmware aswell as beta2 and beta3. Also tryed Finless version of beta3 both with cpu fix 816 and cpu fix stock.

Is my device overheating? I have 4way usb hub with all ports connected. Maby that is taking too much power?

With beta 2 I experience too many random reboots. Maybe those issues are only related to the beta roms so maybe we should go back to the official rom that was preinstalled

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Had the same problems with the pre-installed rom.

Comment

I had reboots with Beta 3 and 2 but none so far with Beta 4. Keep on the stock CPU, it may be overheating with anything else.

Sent From My LG G3 Using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ssspacman View Post
          ... I have 4way usb hub with all ports connected. Maby that is taking too much power?
          Maybe that's the problem? Is the HUB active (with own PSU) or passive? Which kinds of devices are attached (also with or without own PSU)?
          Try it without any passive device attached.

And also have a look at

BTW: Last knight 1 1/2 hour 'stress test' @1992MHz without any lock or reboot at beta3...
          RK3288 Devices
          - Overview BOX (LINK !)
          - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
          UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
          Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
          Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
          Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
            Maybe that's the problem? Is the HUB active (with own PSU) or passive? Which kinds of devices are attached (also with or without own PSU)?
            Try it without any passive device attached.

And also have a look at

BTW: Last knight 1 1/2 hour 'stress test' @1992MHz without any lock or reboot at beta3...

I have removed not things not needed in usb. No time to test yet. It was 4 different mouse, remote keyboard dongles.

It is not an active hub.

Comment

For $150 bucks you would think these NEW, FASTER, IMPROVED, BETTER boxes would work...

When the RK3288 boxes come out I have a feeling history will repeat it's self.

Future TV boxes with Android TV "L" that google works directly with will be turn key in the near future. The landscape will change and hopefully for a better user experience.

Comment

I have NEVER had a random reboot with mine, I will say this though, I keep mine really lite. No gmail(access it via the browser) no facebook app, twitter app, basically nothing that gives notifications. I have a 2tb NTFS drive attached (it has it's own pwr supply) and everything simply works at it should. It's possible you guys got defective boxes or maybe the heatsinks aren't attached properly. I love my X8-H to be honest. Oh yeah, i'm on the original shipped ROM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssspacman View Post
                  I have removed not things not needed in usb. No time to test yet. It was 4 different mouse, remote keyboard dongles.

It is not an active hub.
                  Please test without these things, and put the box on a cool, isolated flat surface.
                  We had a few reports putting the box on a heat source and made it overheated and reboots.
                  Fixed simply by leaving it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by userx View Post
                    For $150 bucks you would think these NEW, FASTER, IMPROVED, BETTER boxes would work...

When the RK3288 boxes come out I have a feeling history will repeat it's self.

Future TV boxes with Android TV "L" that google works directly with will be turn key in the near future. The landscape will change and hopefully for a better user experience.
                    Why not?

Comment

I've tried Beta002,003 and 004 now. I get random soft resets on those BETA roms. Sometimes it resets while watching a movie and sometimes after a period of inactivity of the system, when I move the keyboard or mouse then it soft resets also.

Comment

had the same issue freezes locks up completely randomly.
                        the freezes could come when plugging usb stick or surfing with stock browser or not doing nothing at all.
                        flashed original firmware non beta all solved at least for now.
                        I guess all related some how cpu throttling, while in stock firmware my cpu reading under load is 71°
                        but in beta firmware it's 30-40° so cpu wont throttle when it should.
                        Just my guess.

Comment

Random soft resets

Random soft resets with beta 2, 3 and 4. Now testing Finless rom and so far looks good.
                          My main use is xbmc and resets happened often there but also happened when box was doing nothing.
                          Few times had to pull power plug off to get it working again.

Comment

Re: Minix Neo X8-H stability problems

Originally posted by pmerritt View Post
                            I have NEVER had a random reboot with mine, I will say this though, I keep mine really lite. No gmail(access it via the browser) no facebook app, twitter app, basically nothing that gives notifications. I have a 2tb NTFS drive attached (it has it's own pwr supply) and everything simply works at it should. It's possible you guys got defective boxes or maybe the heatsinks aren't attached properly. I love my X8-H to be honest. Oh yeah, i'm on the original shipped ROM.
                            I don't have none of the software you mention installed. However the device should be able to run perfectly without random reboots or freezing even with 80 apps installed.

However as I said I'm on beta2, so I should go back to the official one just in case it's a problem of the beta roms...
                            I also see that some Minix apparently run hotter than others. I hope mine is not one of those.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pmerritt View Post
                              I don't recall any soft resets with the shipped ROM on mine. Only after I started using the BETA roms.

Comment

Working...
                              X