GPS hardware fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS hardware fix

I have an Pipo M9 Pro (3G version) who works pretty good with RR3.0 and kernel_M9Pro3_407_cpu1704-low_gpu600_ddr720 provided by cshock2010 for almost two weeks.
    When RR3.0 firmware was flashed ,checked GPS and it worked pretty well.
    Two days ago I have opened tablet to fix WiFi antenna with insulating tape (it works very good now, with over 1o or 12% gain_ground wire desoldered and 4 stripes of insulating tape over WiFi antenna). Doing this mod,the GPS antenna wire is likely to have been stretched..my mistake.
    Yesterday, after 12 hours of idling i saw aprox. 40% battery drain (before that, after 12 hour on idle discharge was aprox. 4-5 %). Checked through settings multiple times, erased Cache and Dalvik Cache, etc...with no help.
    In that moment was pretty sure it was a hardware issue and checked WiFi signal..was Ok, 3G signal was Ok, GPS signal..dead (only one sattelite in range with 20 - 25 SNR after 15 min and tablet was very hot aprox 55' Celsius)
    I opened tablet and after a closer inspection have seen a bad soldered wire, was tricky to find that..after first look i was convinced that was soldered well.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Tricky.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	439385
    I was wrong Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad soldering.jpg
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	439379, was a cold contact here.
    For guys who never opened this tablet, here is few pictures to see where GPS antenna was situated
    Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS Antenna 1.jpg
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	439380Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS Antenna 2.jpg
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	439381Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS Antenna 3.jpg
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	439382
    Was pretty simple to resolder that damn wire ...result is this Click image for larger version

Name:	Soldered wire.jpg
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	439384
    After that GPS signal was more stronger, this is result after approx 7-8 min. on my balconyClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-12-16-07-54.png
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	439383
    I uploaded an video here ..first fix was obtained after 10 seconds, as you can see...pretty decent result for indoor condition.(sorry for video quality, but here is a sunny day)
    I have seen here a lot of people who never acquired an GPS fix on M9, M7, M6, etc..it's not ROM's fault for bad GPS signal, i am now convinced is more likely to be a bad soldering or a broken GPS antenna.

Originally posted by Edius View Post
    I have an Pipo M9 Pro (3G version) who works pretty good with RR3.0 and kernel_M9Pro3_407_cpu1704-low_gpu600_ddr720 provided by cshock2010 for almost two weeks.
    When RR3.0 firmware was flashed ,checked GPS and it worked pretty well.
    Two days ago I have opened tablet to fix WiFi antenna with insulating tape (it works very good now, with over 1o or 12% gain_ground wire desoldered and 4 stripes of insulating tape over WiFi antenna). Doing this mod,the GPS antenna wire is likely to have been stretched..my mistake.
    I have seen here a lot of people who never acquired an GPS fix on M9, M7, M6, etc..it's not ROM's fault for bad GPS signal, i am now convinced is more likely to be a bad soldering or a broken GPS antenna.
    For the M6pro it is not a problem of bad soldering, but a problem of WRONG antenna length:
    The antenna MUST be long 1/2 of the GPS wavelenght. The m6pro antenna is too short!
    if you appreciate my efforts this is the link for any donation:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...NonHostedGuest

Comment

Originally posted by giouncino View Post
      For the M6pro it is not a problem of bad soldering, but a problem of WRONG antenna length:
      The antenna MUST be long 1/2 of the GPS wavelenght. The m6pro antenna is too short!
      Ouch...sorry . I really do not know anything about the length of the M6 antenna and wavelenght.
      I have seen so many complaints that I think should be checked.
      Maybe you should inform M6 owners about right length.
      Regards.

Comment

I already explained it more than one time!

GPS central frequency is 1.575Ghz.

1/2 of the wavelenght is approximately 95,2mm. The total lenght of the GPS antenna MUST be long 95,2cm, every harm of the dipole needs to be 47,6mm.

I can suggest you to check if this length is respected, otherwise you can rebuilt the antenna by yourself to optimize GPS reception.

Comment

Originally posted by giouncino View Post
          I already explained it more than one time!

GPS central frequency is 1.575Ghz.

1/2 of the wavelenght is approximately 95,2mm. The total lenght of the GPS antenna MUST be long 95,2cm, every harm of the dipole needs to be 47,6mm.

I can suggest you to check if this length is respected, otherwise you can rebuilt the antenna by yourself to optimize GPS reception.
          Thank's for your suggestion, my GPS is working in this moment.
          As you can see, my M9 pro have a GPS fix in 10 -20 sec. with 8 meters accuracy indoor.
          I opened this new thread for those who really have problems with GPS fix caused by inappropriate soldering and diverse hardware malfunction, but thanks for your opinion.

Comment

Probably tablets different than m6pro have the correct GPS antenna length.
            It is not the case of m6pro.

I'm happy that your GPS is now working though!

Comment

Working...
            X