Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethernet Issue - Minix NEO X7 - Finless 1.9

Hi guys!!
    I'm really enjoyed to use a Minix NEO X7 with Finless 1.9 ROM, but I have only one problem: when I try to use ethernet connection, it connects and disconnects continuosly.
    I've tried to turn on/off wifi, setting up dhcp/static IP with different IP numbers, but not working.
    The X7 is connected with eth cable to a 10/100/1000 Cisco switch, maybe the "1000" speed mode is the problem??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Does the Ethernet connection have link lights on both switch and Minix box?
    Does the the cable/switch port combination allow Ethernet access on another known working device?
    If the switch is set to auto detect the 10/100 Ethernet connection should be established without issues.
    Have you cleared any ARP tables? These are the tables that hold the MAC to IP address.
    These generally timeout and clear themselves, but if swapping cables/connections quickly an older ARP entry could be seen as a conflict.

The WiFi connection needs to be disabled when using the Ethernet connection on the Minix box.

Are you using VLANs and if so is the Minix box in the correct VLAN?

If using 'known only' DHCP clients, is the Minix Box MAC address listed in the DHCP address list? Does the Minix box have access to the DHCP server?

A static IP address configured on the correct IP LAN should work.
    Default home LANs are normally 192.168.1.xxx where xxx is between 10-240 which 'mostly' avoids static factory supplied devices such and routers/modems and etc.

I ran my own DNS and DHCP server on IP managed LANs and have no problems with Ethernet and Finless v1.9

Comment

connects disconnects? MTU differences make that.

make sure you enable Auto MDIX in the switch

ps, what switch is it? cisco does not produce consumer products

Comment

Sorry for not having answered for more than 1 month, and many thanks for your attention, but I've been a little busy.

However, the switch is a "Linksys" (a division of Cisco, but I was not so clear ), my model is here...

I've tried other (surely working) cables also of other type (cat5, cat5e, cat6), the switch is not configurable, other ips settings, but nothing to do. Also tried to clear arp tables in a Windows PC.

To this switch are connected a couple of Dlink power line adapters, linked with my fastweb hag.

Here is my complete network.

All other devices works well (Nas, linux pcs, windows pcs, Android smartphones, Xbox).

I haven't got any idea where is the problem.

Comment

Isolate the trouble... start with a direct cable connection directly from your Neo X7 to the hub first... if it works then add just one other item into the mix

Comment

I do not know if it has anything to do with your problem, but have you already flashed the TCP buffer fixed boot.img as recommended in the original thread?

Originally posted by Finless View Post
            If you downloaded my ROM you will probably need to also download these and replace the boot.imgs in the FinlessROM folder with this new set.
            Are you sure your cable is ok? I am always using custom made ethernet cables, having solid copper conductors. The ones that are rarely plugged and unplugged have never exhibited any problem for over a decade. The ones that are frequently plugged and unplugged tend to exhibit random disconnection problems after some months of use, although they visually seem to be ok. The problem is always solved by replacing the affected ethernet plug. It seems that the connection between the ethernet plug and the solid copper conductors is not proper for frequent plugging and unplugging. That is probably one of the reasons why patch cables are using stranded copper conductors, thus being flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by rdsok View Post
              Isolate the trouble... start with a direct cable connection directly from your Neo X7 to the hub first... if it works then add just one other item into the mix
              Hi rdsok,
              I tried your method, and the problem comes out immediately when I connect the Minix to the Cisco switch (1st pass).

So:
              1 - The scwitch has some specs that are not compatibles with the Minix (such as Sleep function, cable detection) ???
              2 - The eth board of my Minix is damaged ???

Comment

Originally posted by loko View Post
                I do not know if it has anything to do with your problem, but have you already flashed the TCP buffer fixed boot.img as recommended in the original thread?

Are you sure your cable is ok? I am always using custom made ethernet cables, having solid copper conductors. The ones that are rarely plugged and unplugged have never exhibited any problem for over a decade. The ones that are frequently plugged and unplugged tend to exhibit random disconnection problems after some months of use, although they visually seem to be ok. The problem is always solved by replacing the affected ethernet plug. It seems that the connection between the ethernet plug and the solid copper conductors is not proper for frequent plugging and unplugging. That is probably one of the reasons why patch cables are using stranded copper conductors, thus being flexible.

Hi loko,
                yes I've flashed with the TCP buffer fix, however I've ever had this problem also with older Finless roms.

I've tried 4 different cables but nothing (all tested and working with other devices).

I'm going crazy.

Comment

To eliminate any case of Ethernet incompatibility between Minix and the Cisco switch, try to connect Minix to a cheap 5-port 10/100 switch. If it works fine, and you still want to keep Cisco as your main switch, just connect your Minix to your Cisco switch through the cheap switch. That way there will be no direct connection between Minix and the Cisco switch, thus eliminating the Ethernet incompatibility.

To check the Ethernet port of Minix, you can also try to connect Minix directly to a desktop or laptop, using a cross cable. In that case, you must set static IP addresses to both devices, since there will be no available DHCP server in that connection.

Comment

That's a good idea loko, thx.

However I've take this problem as a challenge...

Doing some experiments and waiting for a long time...the connection gets stable, but I think only @ 10 Mbps speed, cause it seems so slow.

In fact, searching via terminal I've found this file "/sys/devices/virtual/net/sit0/subsystem/eth0/device/net/eth0/speed" that contains the value "10".

So, if I could set manually the eth speed @ 100 Mpbs, I think I'll solve the issue.

Naturally I can't edit the file via terminal.

I could make an "update.zip" file to flash via recovery?? Or there are other ways to set it??

The Master Finless who "cooked" the Rom could help me better maybe??

Comment

Working...
                    X