New Minix X8-H won't boot up/no display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Minix X8-H won't boot up/no display

Just got my brand new Minix Neo X8-H and on the first try to power it up, I'm not getting anything on the TV. I can (just about) see that the blue light is coming on after I press and hold the power button, but after that, nothing.

I've tried 3 different HDMI cables, swapping the HDMI port on the TV, switching to alternative channels on the TV, etc. - all is working fine on my other media player, an ATV520 - but still not getting any picture/signal on the TV from the X8-H. Also tried different plug sockets for the power adapter, and as I say, the blue power light on the X8-H is visible - very very dim, but visible.

The very first time I pressed the power button though, I didn't think it was on, because I couldn't see the power light, so I unplugged and plugged it back in several times, so I'm wondering would it be possible that something in the firmware got corrupted as I may have unplugged the unit while it was trying to boot up the first time. Is that possible?

I've also tried booting into recovery mode (push a paperclip into the recovery hole and hold it in while plugging in the power cable) but nothing is happening! No blue light even!

Any ideas what I might be able to do next? Please?

Try another TV or monitor.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
      Try another TV or monitor.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
      Okay, yes, I did later manage to get it hooked up to another (newer) TV and on that one it's working fine! So, it seems that my TV isn't compatible somehow. How/why is that?

It's not a new TV, but surely it's not that old and it has full 1080p 60hz capability, multiple HDMI ports etc etc. (Toshiba 37c3500, about 5-6 years old). And I've never had any problems using the same TV with my other media player - a Geniatech Amlogic M6 ATV520. So what on earth is the problem that the X8-H won't work with it?

Surely if there are going to be possible compatibility issues with certain/older TVs there should be some warnings about that on the X8-H specs on the Minix website? But I bought the device with no such information - as far as I can see there's no official info anywhere that says the Neo X8-H is "not compatible with XXXXX TVs"!?

Comment

Put it down to experience.....
        something 2014 running something from 2009/2008 lucky if it works unlucky if it don't.
        Now that you have it working on the newer telly drop the output it may come good on the older telly.

A new 4K telly is what you need now to replace that one and give that one to the kids or missus or relos
        helps the justification.....that's what I am trying to do

Cheers
        Last edited by trebor; 09-03-2014, 10:48. Reason: what no spam for me said...:-)
        treboR
        Please consider
        Donating to Freaktab

Comment

I could be depending on the HDMI version (protocol) , CEC, and so on...
          BTW: I had a MX which didn't work at my TV (only at my TV), the s802 works without any issues...
          RK3288 Devices
          - Overview BOX (LINK !)
          - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
          UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
          Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
          Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
          Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Working...
          X