This Device Cannot Start (Code 10).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Device Cannot Start (Code 10).

There's a whole thread elsewhere about my troubles with Windows 8.1 and getting my TV stick working with it. I gave up. I used my friend's Windows 8 computer, and everything worked great!

So I decided to downgrade to Windows 8 (let me tell you, that was a HUGE pain since I didn't have a recovery image on hand)!!!

Now I have a new problem. No matter what I do, I can't get rid of the little yellow exclamation mark next to the Rockusb device in the Device Manager. When I right click on it and go to Update Driver Software > Browse My Computer for Driver Software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer > Have Disk... > Browse and then I choose the rockusb.inf that is located in the x64 Windows 8 folder.

At first it says that it's successfully installed. But the yellow exclamation mark is still there. So I open up the flash tool. I try erasing IDB and it says "Erasing EDB failed." Then I try just flashing the ROM. Then I get the error that "Test device failed." If I try pressing "Reboot to flash," it says "Device cannot do flash mode, because it is not msc device."

It is most definitely put into flash mode. I put a paperclip in the little recovery hole in the side, and I hold it in there while I plug in the microUSB in the side (not the DC port). I can hear it connect. Even in the flash tool, it says that it's found.

So I try to Update the driver software again, and that's when any subsequent time, I get the error "This Device Cannot Start (code 10). I tried uninstalling the driver completely, restarting the computer, installing the driver again, and same problems.

Bump

Anything?

Comment

Have you disabled windows driver signature enforcement before installing the drivers?

Which drivers are you installing i.e. Where did you get them from?

Also try different USB ports.

This may also be of interest to you (post 294)

R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
        Have you disabled windows driver signature enforcement before installing the drivers?

Which drivers are you installing i.e. Where did you get them from?

Also try different USB ports.

This may also be of interest to you (post 294)

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...351#post228351

Hurray! It's working!!!

I was turning off driver signature enforcement, and using different USB ports. But that wasn't the problem. I don't actually know what the problem was.

I was using the x64 Windows 8 driver from smic717394_809III_1080p_V4.4.02_ROM V4. That driver always worked fine on my friend's Windows 8 computer (Lenovo). I have an HP Envy M6. Not sure if that makes a difference. On my other friend's computer (Windows 7), the Windows 7 x64 driver worked fine.

Anyways, I looked at the post you referred me to and downloaded the Rockchip Driver Assistant tool from here: https://mega.co.nz/#F!wxJliCiT!fSTU4uzNwJ4h_ZGOYHcjcQ

Don't know if I did anything correctly, but here is what I did. Not sure what exactly it was that solved it, or if the computer just liked the driver it provided. I followed the notepad instructions in USB Fix for Windows 8.1 (even though I have Windows 8), except when I ran usb_fix in command prompt (I was running it as administrator), I got access denied when it said copying new files.

So I went to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and manually copied the Rockchip Driver Assistant\Rockchip Driver Assistant\Driver\x64\win8 rockusb.sys file to that folder.

I also ran DriverInstall.exe from the RDA and it said it installed. Then went to Device Manager, checked off Show Hidden Devices, and clicked on Class for rockusb devices so that it expanded, right clicked on Rockusb device and chose Update Driver Software. I went to Browse > Let me pick > Show all devices > Next > Have Disk > Browse, and then chose the Windows 8 x64 driver from the RDA and installed it.

I plugged in the TV stick, and then noticed another Rockusb showed up in the device manager. I uninstalled the grayed out one, and then Updated the new one using the same method.

I opened the flashing tool, and it said found (like it did before). But this time it actually flashed it!!! It boots up fine. Whew.

P.S. - I hadn't turned off driver signature enforcement for all the steps above.

Comment

Glad that it is resolved.

You may be able to go back to 8.1 now lol
          R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
            You may be able to go back to 8.1 now lol
            I doubt it. I used that Rockchip Driver Assistant before when I had 8.1, but I still couldn't get it working. I completely forgot about it until it was mentioned again.

Comment

Working...
            X