Use Neo X7 as security NVR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use Neo X7 as security NVR?

I know Android has its limitations, but I wanted to know if anyone has tried to actually use the X7 to plug in a security Camera. I have a POE (Power over Ethernet) Dahua HD IPcam and a POE ethernet switch (4 ports provide power and 4 ports that are a switch).

I know there are apps for Android to "remotely" view IP security cameras(Blueiris, gdmss), but could it work with the Minix as the actual receiver?
    If I plug the ethernet from the Minix to the POE injector/switch and straight to the camera it should give it power, but I dont know if it can receive the images/video and if so what application would allow for this? (I think these apps are meant to be on the client side and not server side.) Plus the camera only came with software to be used in Windows.

I have an Dahua linux based NVR coming by next week but It cost me $300 on sale and is now $595 on Amazon. It came with no HDD so I also bought a 2 TB Nas 3.5" HDD for another $100, but I now wonder if I could have saved a large amount of money. And I think I could leave the HDD as external connected by USB. Is any of this possible or am I just wasting my time? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also: my Minix neo X7 is running Wasser 1.0.4 4.4.2 and I have latest stable XBMC 13.2.

Originally posted by cyrusalmighty View Post
    I know Android has its limitations, but I wanted to know if anyone has tried to actually use the X7 to plug in a security Camera. I have a POE (Power over Ethernet) Dahua HD IPcam and a POE ethernet switch (4 ports provide power and 4 ports that are a switch).

I know there are apps for Android to "remotely" view IP security cameras(Blueiris, gdmss), but could it work with the Minix as the actual receiver?
    If I plug the ethernet from the Minix to the POE injector/switch and straight to the camera it should give it power, but I dont know if it can receive the images/video and if so what application would allow for this? (I think these apps are meant to be on the client side and not server side.) Plus the camera only came with software to be used in Windows.

I have an Dahua linux based NVR coming by next week but It cost me $300 on sale and is now $595 on Amazon. It came with no HDD so I also bought a 2 TB Nas 3.5" HDD for another $100, but I now wonder if I could have saved a large amount of money. And I think I could leave the HDD as external connected by USB. Is any of this possible or am I just wasting my time? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also: my Minix neo X7 is running Wasser 1.0.4 4.4.2 and I have latest stable XBMC 13.2.
    Wasting your time. Get a synology (1 or 2 bay) and use the integrated camera station. Done for $100,-

Comment

I thought about buying the Nas but I think you cant set up Motion triggered recording on some cameras. I went for the NVR already and eventually it will be delivered, but I still wonder if an android box like this one can be used this way. I will mess around with it when I get a chance and report back.

Comment

Working...
      X