X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some critical words about the beta-tester engagement

Do you remember Finless words?
    Originally posted by Finless View Post
    Now everyone, be true to Oman. Don't just get your toy and run off never to return!
    Please remember to test and provide feedback and be true and trusted. I will be watching [IMG]file:///C:/DOKUME%7E1/FUN/LOKALE%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG]

Bob
    Now I will say some words.

If I look at the list of beta-tester
    Originally posted by oman View Post
    Hi,
    no_spam_for_me ,bloodgnome,LawlessPPC,4WheelSpyder,ssspacman ,ademturk ,Arbelzapf ,talas ,NikAmi ,goldenrod ,TMx ,sync ,sweup,Smokez,ENDRJUPL,clarkss12,Catadarius,tltest er,convict ,mmind00

Waiting long time,right?[IMG]file:///C:/DOKUME%7E1/FUN/LOKALE%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image004.gif[/IMG]

Okey,finally we plan to sent R89 to YOU to test...
    I'm a little bit irritated about the engagement of:
    - some of the beta-tester that I see with less then ~10 posts:
    Is every think ok? Is nothing to test? I read form more than one of you that you will do a review. Where are these reviews if everything is fine?
    - some of the beta-tester I have never seen posting something?
    - I only recognize ~ 5 really active beta-tester?
    BTW: If oman asks for e.g. log's, I think you should give him what he ask for. That's also something I recognized what doesn't really work...

I have no idea if Netxeon will do it again, but after this experiment, I don't think so...
    RK3288 Devices
    - Overview BOX (LINK !)
    - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
    UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Word!!! even thou i dont have a device i did even post more often in this subforum than many of the beta testers. Too bad you can not know this before sending out the devices. Next time maybe include killswitches into the beta devices and firmwares ;-)

Comment

I agree.

Same problem with donations for devs.... Seems a few users do that... Sad.

Comment

Thanks ,Tom,you said out what I am confusing now..

But But,I must admit our R89 is not perfect enough,not fresh now times,just more powerful CPU/GPU or so-called 4k, Giga-Ethernet? It's just a Android MediaPlayer,you may see many kinds of such devices.

Maybe you are a little tired of such devices,or because of the custom fees,the lacking of accessories?The case shape,or the package style?I dont know..

My beginning starting point here is launching a more stable and powerful device according to users' expectations ..but now I dont know..there are so many rk3288 boxes around market..But I'll do what I can do here..
        Easy way to catch LOG -> Search 'Syslog' in Google Play,then install it and catch log

Comment

Oman, just dont give up, you know you do a good job here...

Comment

Thanks ,Tom,you said out what I am confusing now..

But But,I must admit our R89 is not perfect enough,not fresh now times,just more powerful CPU/GPU or so-called 4k, Giga-Ethernet? It's just a Android MediaPlayer,you may see many kinds of such devices.

Maybe you are a little tired of such devices,or because of the custom fees,the lacking of accessories?The case shape,or the package style?I dont know..

My beginning starting point here is launching a more stable and powerful device according to users' expectations ..but now I dont know..there are so many rk3288 boxes around market..But I'll do what I can do here..
            Beelink and Oman need and deserve all the help users and Testers can give them as they did a very rare thing they trusted a team of people to use and test a device they would to improve on to give the customers the best device they could and trust them on there word..its a fantastic approach and so rare for company to hand over there devices to such a public group.
            Got to take my hat of to Beelink for there wisdom and if you need a company who you can trust to not only sell you a device but listen to the end user and there problems and issues and help to resolve them put your money Beelink / Nexteons way..you wont regret it.
            Last edited by Talas; 09-16-2014, 09:44.

Comment

A couple of things:

The R89 is already pretty damn good. Maybe, for some people, there "just isn't much to test". If you aren't affected by the AV-Receiver sound issue, this beta unit works better than something a competitor would sell to the masses & charge 150$ for.

I'm aware that the R89 is now sold as well, but I think we beta testers all expected something that's completely and utterly broken, much more than what we sadly have come to expect when buying Android TV boxes.

So it's been a very pleasant surprise how well this thing runs. That may be part of the reason it's rather quiet around here.

I believe a public subforum is not a good place to pull off the majority of this test. Sure, we need it for stuff like new firmware releases, announcements, stuff that everyone needs to see. But some sort of issue tracker or at least a couple of google docs would have helped organize feedback, as well as given some way of tracking it. "Tracking" is not a nice word, but you could have seen at a glance who's never/hardly been active and you could have PM'd them on the forums or something. If they ran away and don't respond, that sucks ....and it's probably part of how these things go. But now it's almost impossible to get some hard numbers about user activity without going through a number of multi-page threads and counting by hand.

Also, forum threads often tend to bury important information under loads of petty arguments and off-topic discussion. The only way to track what's going on here is to memorize it.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to put the blame on oman. This is all meant as constructive feedback. You decided to be very open about this test, which I greatly appreciate. Maybe people wouldn't have been using those tools I mentioned and we'd have ended up with even less activity. I don't know.

I'm probably not good at predicting human behaviour. But I suspect that a more rigid setup might have created a sense of urge among testers. "We gave you these devices, and we expect you to fill out these forms".

Now it's "just another subforum" where people post when they feel like it.
              As I said, I could be wrong. I just think this could be part of the problem and if you choose to do this again, it might be worth a shot to try out something else. I remember that this was suggested and discussed before the units were sent out.
              If you're serious about it, be serious about it.

I think it's not as bad as no_spam makes it out to be. There are more than 5 people regularly posting here from that list. I can't say it's much more,so his points are still very valid, but I think we have 8-9 testers that regularly post here, some more often than others, of course.
              That's not amazing, but it's absolutely something we can work with. 15 would have been a good number, since there's always stuff going wrong and there always are a few bad apples. "Less than half" active testers sounds terrible, and it probably is. But given how few problems this device actually has left, we should be able to help oman on the last steps to a device that's not just "very good", but "great".
              Last edited by Arbelzapf; 09-16-2014, 10:32. Reason: Readability

Comment

I kind of have to agree here, the nail on the head for me was, once the initial sound issue was resolved, bearing in mind I don't have any kind of AV receiver, it's a struggle to find anything to report on after my initial hardware compatibility tests and stability/performance testing.. otherwise the threads would be filled with, works great, yeah no problems, works fine, running perfect etc etc etc! As time goes on we might see more involvement from some testers that have been inactive, but there's at least a 95% chance some have had there freebie and run.... Unfortunate but true.. as for me I'm here, I've got 2 RK3288 boxes now including a 32GB/4GB RAM model that needs some attention, way more than the R89 does, and I flick between the 2 in between working 5 days a week, decorating my new house, being a Dad to a 2 year old little girl, and keeping my pregnant Mrs happy who's ready to bring me another daughter any day now, so naturally my hands can be quite full at times, but I still make the effort to report back when needed and test anything omans asking..

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by Arbelzapf View Post
                  But some sort of issue tracker or at least a couple of google docs would have helped organize feedback, as well as given some way of tracking it.
                  Totally agree with this,but at the beginning I didnt follow this advice..Now I realize this's important..Anyway,next time we should try this.
                  Easy way to catch LOG -> Search 'Syslog' in Google Play,then install it and catch log

Comment

Still its a learning by douing process, finally you are a still young small company doing this. However, there is much to learn from projects like cyanogenmod...

Comment

Totally agree with this,but at the beginning I didnt follow this advice..Now I realize this's important..Anyway,next time we should try this.
                      You could get a bugs/issues thread and break it down to specifics if you wish then at least you have a cohesive look at where things stand at this moment.

Comment

Aside from the HDMI audio issue, the R89 works very well -- better than the S89 from the time I got it. The S89 is a good box, too, but it doesn't compare in several key areas.
                        • The R89 has faster, more stable wifi than the S89.
                        • The R89 has much faster performance than the S89.
                        • The R89 has a cleaner launcher/interface than the S89.
                        • Several apps (like Xfinity Go) work with the R89 that don't work with the S89.
                        • All the peripherals I have (mouse/keyboard combos, flash drives, hard drives etc.) work well with the R89.

The only lingering issue for me is the AVR HDMI audio problem. Once that's settled, there will be nothing to complain about with the R89.

Comment

For me the hard part is that i got no sound thru my AV-setup (yes, logcat dropped in forum). It's really hard to switch directly to TV when doing test, if the sound part worked for me it would be easier to evaluate on daily basis.

Most impressing so far is boot up time, really fast comparing to X8. Navigation is working smothly.
                          Beelink R89
                          Pioneer SC-2022
                          Samsung 55" LED 2012

Previous:
                          Minix X8-H
                          Minix X5
                          Logitech Revue

Comment

BTW:
                            Logcat only document the application action!
                            If there exist some hw related issues like at HDMI at minimum a dmesg is indispensable!
                            (anyway it's also good to have a dmesg every time)

1. I wrote a little howto install ADB:
                            => http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...l=1#post221238

2. If you don't know how to catch log files:
                            => http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2185929
                            => http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1123129

3. If you don't like to work via OTG with ADB:
                            => http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2621852
                            => http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...r-wifi-helper/

All these points I suppose, if you enroll as a tester.
                            RK3288 Devices
                            - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                            - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                            UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                            Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                            Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                            Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

AW: Some critical words about the beta-tester engagement

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
                              BTW:
                              Logcat only document the application action!
                              If there exist some hw related issues like at HDMI at minimum a dmesg is indispensable!
                              (anyway it's also good to have a dmesg every time)

1. I wrote a little howto install ADB:
                              => http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...l=1#post221238

2. If you don't know how to catch log files:
                              => http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2185929
                              => http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1123129

3. If you don't like to work via OTG with ADB:
                              => http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2621852
                              => http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...r-wifi-helper/

All these points I suppose, if you enroll as a tester.
                              Osmonitor is also a good tool to catch logs on device, as well as catlog

Comment

Working...
                              X