RK3288 XBMC HEVC H.265 Hardware Decoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mo123 View Post
    Just hope they will give their support, it's too early to tell, since there is still a holiday in China.
    At least they are willing to listen to users request and are working on a new XBMC after I emailed them.
    If the source code will be released is a different matter, but for most people they only want good video playback in XBMC. The source code might get included in the Firefly repo if Rockchip doesn't just provide the compiled app to manufacturers and show their changes like the basic HEVC that was added in the SDK.
    With the involvement of Koying, perhaps sources may well make themselves across to the other Kodi developers in a reasonable timescale.

Have you heard any more from Rockchip with regards to the discussion that they were going to open up over on the XBMC Forum?
    R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
      With the involvement of Koying, perhaps sources may well make themselves across to the other Kodi developers in a reasonable timescale.

Have you heard any more from Rockchip with regards to the discussion that they were going to open up over on the XBMC Forum?
      Nothing more
      I told them that users will be able to provide logs and test different videos for playback and provide feedback on their XBMC so they can improve it, so hopefully someone of them sees the benefit of engaging in a forum and they don't back out. They have a whole team that is working on XBMC but every person has a different way of thinking. It is holiday up and until Tuesday, so maybe Wednesday-Friday they will have finished something or replied back to me.

I'm now more interested in Lubuntu support and trying to get more info on video acceleration in Lubuntu on RK3288. Youtube videos play great in chrome browser but not in fullscreen. Someone also need to make an ARM Linux XBMX with GLES GPU acceleration, there was one for RK3066 devices and it improved video playback greatly, but with RK3288 that has much better hardware it will even work better. It looks like the Rockchip DRM GPU driver will be included in a new Linux 3.19 or later kernel, there are also basic Mali T764 drivers on ARM website, but it's too complicated for me to go further until the experts make something of it.

Comment

Hi
        Anyone have some small 4k videos I can test with Rockchip's new XBMC apps?

Comment

Hi
          You can download some here :

And here: http://ultravideo.cs.tut.fi/#testsequences

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi
            This is a good example of 4k webm

Another here

It would also be good to see this play smoothly and with sync of audio.

Comment

I tested some videos.
              720p & 1080p videos play perfect with libstagefright.
              Some, I would say 30% of SD videos have trouble with libstagefright turned on, lots of dropped frames.
              Playing the same SD videos with libstagefright turned off, they play perfect, no dropped frames.
              I asked Koying and he said in new SPMC version, SD videos will play with software and not libstagefright for better playback.

4K videos can play but have lots of dropped frames with libstagefright, since it uses libstagefright x264 codec which might not be compatible, since it should be something like x265.

Disabling libstagefright and enabling Mediacodec, SD,720,1080p & 4K videos play very smoothly.
              Audio is a bit out of sync, but might be fixable with setting in advancedsettings.xml file.

TearsOfSteelFul video play smoothly, shows amc-hevc codec being used, thus mediacodec.
              https://media.basilgohar.com/phfx/ video, lots of dropped frames with libstagefright, no change with Mediacodec, uses ffmpeg-vp9 codec which I think is not optimized. My PC struggles to play this video, might not be using correct codec.

Mediacodec has almost the same performance as MXPlayer to play 4k videos.

All test done on 1080p TV, since I don't have 4K TV.
              Results will vary on 4K monitor.

Having trouble with XBMC external player version. 4K videos will just exit XBMC and not play with RockVideoPlayer, maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

Comment

I tested some videos.
                720p & 1080p videos play perfect with libstagefright.
                Some, I would say 30% of SD videos have trouble with libstagefright turned on, lots of dropped frames.
                Playing the same SD videos with libstagefright turned off, they play perfect, no dropped frames.
                I asked Koying and he said in new SPMC version, SD videos will play with software and not libstagefright for better playback.

4K videos can play but have lots of dropped frames with libstagefright, since it uses libstagefright x264 codec which might not be compatible, since it should be something like x265.

Disabling libstagefright and enabling Mediacodec, SD,720,1080p & 4K videos play very smoothly.
                Audio is a bit out of sync, but might be fixable with setting in advancedsettings.xml file.

TearsOfSteelFul video play smoothly, shows amc-hevc codec being used, thus mediacodec.
                https://media.basilgohar.com/phfx/ video, lots of dropped frames with libstagefright, no change with Mediacodec, uses ffmpeg-vp9 codec which I think is not optimized. My PC struggles to play this video, might not be using correct codec.

Mediacodec has almost the same performance as MXPlayer to play 4k videos.

All test done on 1080p TV, since I don't have 4K TV.
                Results will vary on 4K monitor.

Having trouble with XBMC external player version. 4K videos will just exit XBMC and not play with RockVideoPlayer, maybe I'm just doing something wrong.
                Thanks for the appraisal of testing.

With mediacodec getting close to the performance of MX Player, it seems a step forward.

Presumably you now have to report your findings back to Rockchip for them to decide whether to release this version?

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
                  Thanks for the appraisal of testing.

With mediacodec getting close to the performance of MX Player, it seems a step forward.

Presumably you now have to report your findings back to Rockchip for them to decide whether to release this version?
                  I'll tell them some of the things to improve.
                  Also waiting for Koying to release a new SPMC, since I think he will add some more tweaks to improve video playback that Rockchip doesn't know how to do.
                  The external XBMC player solution by Rockchip, I still have to try to get working and test too.

At least things are moving forward and one day we will have a perfect working Kodi version.

Comment

I'll tell them some of the things to improve.
                    Also waiting for Koying to release a new SPMC, since I think he will add some more tweaks to improve video playback that Rockchip doesn't know how to do.
                    The external XBMC player solution by Rockchip, I still have to try to get working and test too.

At least things are moving forward and one day we will have a perfect working Kodi version.
                    Yes, one step closer.

It still makes me wonder though that if Rockchip had collaborated with Koying and the XBMC devs earlier, then they could have had a near perfect XBMC to put on the RK3288 devices to allow them to fly off the shelves at an even greater rate from the start and make more profit.

Comment

FYI
                      Originally posted by oman View Post
                      2014-10-11 update:

xbmc-rk3288-14a.apk base xbmc 14.0a helix and haradware decoder with 4k h.265 4k h.264
                      ================================================== =====
                      This app support h.265 4k 10bit,hardware decoder with MP4 /MOV/MKV video format

now, We can't support h.265 decode by hardware with flv / ts format, because of xbmc's parse not supporting HEVC

so, waiting for new app verison, we will keep update and optimization

Download Here: xbmc-rk3288-14a
                      RK3288 Devices
                      - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                      - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                      UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                      Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                      Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                      Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
                        FYI

Excellent

Comment

Sv: RK3288 XBMC HEVC H.265 Hardware Decoding

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
                          FYI
                          Guys can any recomend my the best xbmc for my Rk3288 nagrace box what I mean with best I mean best xbmc version combitable with my box, I have tested spmc and I was happy and everything works great, but I curious if it's something that is more precisely for Rk3288, maybe I should test this version

Comment

Originally posted by Shadi86 View Post
                            Guys can any recomend my the best xbmc for my Rk3288 nagrace box what I mean with best I mean best xbmc version combitable with my box, I have tested spmc and I was happy and everything works great, but I curious if it's something that is more precisely for Rk3288, maybe I should test this version
                            You can try Rockchips new Kodi version
                            http://www.mediafire.com/download/9iq09l1p8hvmhdh (faster link from Beelink)
                            Disable Libstagefright in Settings,Hardware Acceleration and only enable Mediacodec.
                            Now everything will play smoothly, SD/720/1080/4K

Mediacodec playback looks different from Libstagefright, since everything looks very smooth and fast moving. Libstagefright looks more natural.

With Libstagefright 720/1080p will play smoothly but about 30% of SD videos will have lots of dropped frames. Already told Rockchip how to fix it, they will include it in next version.
                            If you turn Libstagefright off and switch to software decoding 99% of SD videos play perfect.
                            4K on libstagefright still has lots of dropped frames since it is using x264 codec, someone like Koying will probably be able to improve the codec for HEVC videos, but doesn't have a RK3288 device yet.

So this version is like SPMC but based on newer Kodi and has HEVC support.
                            Last edited by mo123; 10-16-2014, 04:14.

Comment

Sv: RK3288 XBMC HEVC H.265 Hardware Decoding

You can try Rockchips new Kodi version
                              MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

Disable Libstagefright in Settings,Hardware Acceleration and only enable Mediacodec.
                              Now everything will play smoothly, SD/720/1080/4K

Mediacodec playback looks different from Libstagefright, since everything looks very smooth and fast moving. Libstagefright looks more natural.

With Libstagefright 720/1080p will play smoothly but about 30% of SD videos will have lots of dropped frames. Already told Rockchip how to fix it, they will include it in next version.
                              If you turn Libstagefright off and switch to software decoding 99% of SD videos play perfect.
                              4K on libstagefright still has lots of dropped frames since it is using x264 codec, someone like Koying will probably be able to improve the codec for HEVC videos, but doesn't have a RK3288 device yet.

So this version is like SPMC but based on newer Kodi and has HEVC support.
                              Thnx will test it

Comment

Just gave the new modded version a test and found it no better than the last one.

The eulsat doesn't play at all.
                                Tearsofsteel 1080p has the half green screen that the last one did.

Many other videos are juddery, regardless of which option is enabled/disabled.

Comment

Working...
                                X