Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lubuntu RK3288 GPU Acceleration?

Lubuntu RK3288 GPU Acceleration

Anyone managed to make GPU acceleration work yet on Lubuntu?

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I remember oleg used to make it work on RK3188, but it would be nice if work could be started on RK3288.

Good question because I found this:
    MK902II LE (Linux Edition) 2/16GB http://www.cloudsto.com/products/lin...ge-detail.html

and at 3188, if I'm not wrong, only 3D and not video, or do they fix something at the last 3-4 month (Haven't looked during this time at that topic)?
    RK3288 Devices
    - Overview BOX (LINK !)
    - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
    UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

I use dual boot Android/Lubuntu firmware from HPH RK3288 TV Box.
      It works quite good.
      I can play Youtube videos in chrome browser, only problem is when you go fullscreen, videos start playing slow since it's not hardware accelerated.

For RK3066 I remember they compiled a special XBMC that used GPU GLES acceleration, not as fast as VPU video acceleration but videos played much better.
      The GPU on RK3288 is fast enough to play 1080p without VPU Video acceleration.

Or maybe someone will find a way to use libhybris, to use Android drivers on Linux
      One of the main issues with Linux on ARM is the lack of proper GPU drivers for the platform, as most silicon manufacturers now only focus on Android

I tried to install XBMC but it only gave a black screen, probably because I installed the Linux version not Linux Arm version. Maybe someone can compile Lubuntu ARM XBMC for us with GLES GPU acceleration, that would be great.

I looked at the Rikomagic MK902II, hopefully they will progress much further and have full GPU, VPU support or find a way to use Libhybris. It also looks like more Rockchip DRM Graphics support is coming to Linux 3.19 kernel or later, so Rockchip devices will keep up with mainline Linux and not be stuck on 3.0.36 kernels like RK3188 devices.

Comment

Hi all

As you maybe alreay know, I want to have the 3D acceleration on the rk3288. Or more precise OpenGl SE 2.0.

First question I have: is 3D acceleration the same as getting openGL SE ... on the rk3288 ?

Second, call me ignorant, but for android hardware acceleration is available. Android 4.4 uses the 3.4 linux kernel. I found that ubuntu 12.04 also uses the 3.4 kernel. Can I then use the Mali DDK binary distribution of android to add 3D GPU acceleration to Linus 12.04 ?

If there is a change, I will try to get 12.04 working on the HPH, and then try to add the GPU acceleration via the android libraries. Will probably need a lot of help :-)

Bart,

Comment

rk3288 people are working on it. It would be nice if they did it , in an open source manner, but I suppose there is a language barrier.

Comment

The Rochchip are working on it. But I don't now when will release.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyballs View Post
              Second, call me ignorant, but for android hardware acceleration is available. Android 4.4 uses the 3.4 linux kernel. I found that ubuntu 12.04 also uses the 3.4 kernel. Can I then use the Mali DDK binary distribution of android to add 3D GPU acceleration to Linus 12.04 ?
              No, because kernel is one part and 'OS' is another part...
              Last but not least the Mali libraries aren't open source...
              RK3288 Devices
              - Overview BOX (LINK !)
              - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
              UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
              Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
              Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
              Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Working...
              X