Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Need custom ROM] Is any custom firmware (Android 4.2, or 4.4) for Ifive mini3 3g (NOT retina) available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Need custom ROM] Is any custom firmware (Android 4.2, or 4.4) for Ifive mini3 3g (NOT retina) available?

Dear all,

I want to know is there any "custom firmware" available for this tablet?

ifive mini3 3G (CPU: MTK8382)

There is one official firmware download currently:

I'm not sure, though, if this is a complete firmware package or just a partial firmware package (like a update, not including entire NAND file system layout)

Are there any good custom ROMs for this device? (such as: AOKP, Cyanogenmod, Jelly bean mod, Kitkat mod...)

I've been trying to search many websites... only to find ROMs for: ifive 3 3GS (retina), ifive 3g (retina, or of Rockchip SoCs)

This device is not retina, and the CPU is MediaTek's MTK8382.

Your helps are much appreciated.

I wasn't aware that this model existed.

Let me download the firmware and I can tell you if a custom ROM is possible.

We can't upgrade to KitKat, but I can provide you with a rooted, debloated ROM with the ability to expand your user app space. I might be able to make a CWM recovery...depending on what's available in this download package.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Comment

You are correct. This is only a partial update.zip to be flashed in recovery mode. I can't really do a custom ROM with this update.zip.

Check in settings and see if the firmware you are currently running is newer than the 7/18/2014 version of this update.

If this update is newer...you might consider updating your tablet to this firmware.

Then, I will need a ROM dump of your tablet to make a custom ROM.

1. You need to be rooted to do this. You can try one of many rooting apps like RootGenius, but many of these failed to work on the Mini3GS. I'm not sure if the two tablets are similar in that behavior. Here is an update.zip that should root your tablet: https://www.freak-tab.de/rrileypm/mt...oot_update.zip

2. Once you have root, you need to use MTKDroidTools to make your ROM dump. https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358558543 Here's a guide: http://androidtronics.blogspot.com/2...-your-rom.html

3. Zip the contents of the backup file you created and upload it to a cloud server like Google Drive and send me a shared link (via PM if you like). Then I can create a custom ROM for you based on your updated firmware.
      Randy
      Read my BIO Here
      Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
      Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
        You are correct. This is only a partial update.zip to be flashed in recovery mode. I can't really do a custom ROM with this update.zip.

Check in settings and see if the firmware you are currently running is newer than the 7/18/2014 version of this update.

If this update is newer...you might consider updating your tablet to this firmware.

Then, I will need a ROM dump of your tablet to make a custom ROM.

1. You need to be rooted to do this. You can try one of many rooting apps like RootGenius, but many of these failed to work on the Mini3GS. I'm not sure if the two tablets are similar in that behavior. Here is an update.zip that should root your tablet: www.freak-tab.de/rrileypm/mtk/MTK_root_update.zip

2. Once you have root, you need to use MTKDroidTools to make your ROM dump. https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358558543 Here's a guide: http://androidtronics.blogspot.com/2...-your-rom.html

3. Zip the contents of the backup file you created and upload it to a cloud server like Google Drive and send me a shared link (via PM if you like). Then I can create a custom ROM for you based on your updated firmware.

Thank you very much for all of your advise, sir!

Firmware:

As for the firmware, I believe I already have the latest update installed (of 7/18/2014).
        It once came as OTA, but instead I downloaded the update from the ifive website and flashed in recovery mode.

Rooted?:

Yes, my tablet has already been rooted via "vRoot" and it works fine. Root checker also shows mine is rooted.

ROM Dump and MTK Droid Tools:

I have tried using MTK Droid Tools several times to no avail (No green light shown); probably because I am using Windows XP on Virtual Machine, under a Linux Host Machine. (virtual USB timing issue?
        Basically I cannot manage to get my tablet recognized; ADB also refuses to see my tablet.

May be this?
        I am trying to run the command in ubuntu android update project --path . However I am getting a android:command not found error. I assume this is something to do with the path which I learnt on

Or I should re-install ifive's USB Driver to make sure.

My understanding is that once ADB command sees my tablet, everything will be good. (Since MTK Droid Tools also utilize ADB functionalities... doesn't it? )

I will PM you once I can successfully dump the ROM image.

Anyhow... thank you very much for your time. I really appreciate your support.

P.S.
        ifive really makes nice tablets... mine is also a very good tablet, beating my former RockChip 3188 Pipo S1 Pro Tablet
        Last edited by friendly.joe; 10-10-2014, 18:01.

Comment

Yes it is a driver issue, I'm afraid. Compounded by the VM installation of Windows. Maybe there is a Linux tool that does the same thing...but I don't know of one.

Keep us posted on your progress. This is very interesting.

Sent from my P1 using Tapatalk
          Randy
          Read my BIO Here
          Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
            Yes it is a driver issue, I'm afraid. Compounded by the VM installation of Windows. Maybe there is a Linux tool that does the same thing...but I don't know of one.

Keep us posted on your progress. This is very interesting.

Sent from my P1 using Tapatalk

Thank you for your follow-up. I'm sure I will

Have a nice weekend

Comment

OK, I made a little progress; I managed to get ADB recognize my tablet in ADB sideload mode, in Windows 7 under virtual Machine environment!
              I will try in normal android mode with USB debugging on, once I returned from business trip.

Stay tuned!

Comment

Ok, today I finally put my hands on and got dirty with my tablet again

Current status:

- MTK Droid tools can now recognize my Tablet (ifive mini3 3g)
                - Interestingly, the tool told me the tablet actually has MT6582 CPU instead of MTK8382 (stating the supplied spec is fake)
                - Green light (Root shell access obtained)

- Backup operation: looks like failing on most of the operations; however it looks like actually reading some partitions like /system etc etc (see attached screen shot)

Now I am trying to re-frash the stock ROM to hook up to the MTK Droid Tools again to *properly gain root* with its build-in ROOT function.
                (I will not use "vroot" to gain root this time, to avoid any su binary conflicts)

I will post once I made further progress. Thank you.
                Attached Files

Comment

It looks like a communication problem between the tablet and the PC. Check your USB connection some more. You should be able to get those files downloaded.

Another thing is to verify that you actually have root access. MTK Droid Tools may see it as rooted, but may not actually have the required permissions to proceed.

You might try booting into recovery mode and see if the tool can download the files.
                  Randy
                  Read my BIO Here
                  Donate here

Comment

Thank you, I've successfully backed up the entire firmware (without any error this time).

What I did:

1. Remove an external micro SD Card from the tablet, and rebooted the tablet.
                    (to avoid an internal/external storage issue)

2. Run the MTK Droid Tools as the administrator (Yes, from the right click menu)

3. After the tablet was successfully recognized and in root shell, hit the Backup button.

Now I am uploading the zipped firmware file to an online storage.
                    Once completed, I will PM you for the link.

Again, thank you very much for your continuous support, sir.

Comment

Good work. Just send me a link. I can work on this tomorrow at the firehouse.

Sent from my P9
                      Randy
                      Read my BIO Here
                      Donate here

Comment

Dear Mr. Randy,

I sent you a link via a PM

Comment

I got it...thanks.

Sent from my P9
                          Randy
                          Read my BIO Here
                          Donate here

Comment

Hi,
                            This is link for stock rom Ifive mini 3G (MTK8382_1024x768 screen) : http://www.4shared.com/zip/lfPhk2HRb...382_1024x.html

Comment

Working...
                            X