• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beste 4K UltraHD / UHD Smart TV Box? RK3288 vs S812

Hello there i need a new media player with firmware support

real don't know what i have to chose

Beste 4K UltraHD / UHD Smart TV Box? RK3288 vs S812

No one has reported true 4K yet on rk3288 device. Don't know about s812.
    Over the last few years there have been complains about Android TV boxes decoding 1080p video, rendering them to a 720p frame buffer, and upscaling them

Quote:
    So the conclusion is clear: Rockchip RK3288 based Android devices, and probably Amlogic S802 Android devices, can not output true 4K videos / images, so it’s just a marketing trick, with the devices being capable of decoding 4K UHD videos, and outputting 4K UHD to your TV, but unfortunately the video is downscaled, before being upscaled in the process, so what you see on your new shiny 4K TV is actually a video rendered @ 1080p resolution.

Comment

Also have a look at

and for A80
      RK3288 Devices
      - Overview BOX (LINK !)
      - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
      UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
      Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
      Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
      Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Hi,
        I have a 4k TV and witnessed "real" 4k video with my Mk902II on it (with the stock player).
        The problem is that my TV is 4k60 (HDMI 2.0) compliant (working with my GTX 970) and I never had a firmware allowing me to go to 4k60, only 4k30.

So I can't recommend the 3288 for 4k yet because a lot of 4k content is 60Hz and for me, it's not working.
        I never managed to get above stereo sound btw

Comment

This is not new news really....

The problem is Android and it's kernel!
          To date Android is not setup to "switch resolutions" like a PC can. What I mean by this is you can switch resolutions but Android does not change frame buffers and reload resources (icons, etc) for the new resolution. Android was made for phones, then tablets which don't change resolution.

Now if you remember when the first 3066 TV sticks came out. At the beginning their performance was not that great when the kernel was made for real 1080. So they made the kernel 720 and up scaled to 1080. The desktop and resources were all made for 720 so the icons looks the right size. This issue was found real early on. So some of us started patching the kernel or compiling new ones at 1080. Of course this made it true 1080 but the resources were still 720 so icons etc looked tiny. Now you could cheat and use LCD density setting to scale all the resources back up. But the best way would have been to make all new resources for 1080 so it was one to one.

Now in my opinion the manufacturer devs are being lazy to some extent. If you look in framework-res.apk it does have folders for different resolution resources. These are really kind of made for "rotation" e.g. when you rotate your phone. If they really spent the time to make a full set of resources and enabled them to be used properly, then you could resolution switch to some extent. BUT this would only be for the Android OS. Applications also would all need to be updated to support different resolutions!

So now on the 4K video players, they have locked Android to 1080 (like 3066 when it was locked to 720).

So like 3066 give the devs here enough time and if the HDMI chip and hardware really allows it, we can probably make real 4K kernels with frame buffers. BUT how will it perform? Like 3066 it could really barely handle a true 1080 kernel. But with enough tuning we got it working to be "acceptable". If we do find we can make real 4K kernels, we may have lack luster performance like 3066 had. Could it be tuned enough? Time will tell.

Then if we do make 4K kernels, the SDK will have to be torn apart or hopefully lcd res can upscale the resources for us again. Alas this time RK and AML have made serious SDK changes and so far I have found LCD density doesn't work anymore at least on AML. I have not played with 3288 yet.

Anyway HOPEFULLY the Kernel devs here like D33, Wasser, etc will start having a look at the kernel sources in this area and we will see if we can solve the upscaling like we did on 3066 and early 3188 devices.

Bob
          "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
          "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
          "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
          "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
          "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
          "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
          "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
          "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
          "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCyrix View Post
            Hi,
            I have a 4k TV and witnessed "real" 4k video with my Mk902II on it (with the stock player)....
            Is the launcher 4K? Can you browse the web reading sharp 4k text? Too me the device doesn't really support 4k if the launcher isn't in 4k.

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
              ... Android was made for phones, then tablets which don't change resolution...
              Resolution changing was good with CRTs that handled natively different resolutions. LCDs monitors have only one native resolution and the rest is scaled. Sometimes you want to run games at lower resolution because too slow pushing too many pixels and scaling is o.k. Since there is Android TV now, I suppose there is some ability to change resolution at least in Android 5.0 lollipop.

Comment

The problem is that my TV is 4k60 (HDMI 2.0) compliant (working with my GTX 970) and I never had a firmware allowing me to go to 4k60, only 4k30....
                I think there is something wrong at the moment with "reading" the possible/available resolutions at the moment...
                e.g. have a look at

and at my TV with 1080p
                http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...l=1#post235119 (and the following posts)
                RK3288 Devices
                - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by dancar View Post
                  Is the launcher 4K? Can you browse the web reading sharp 4k text? Too me the device doesn't really support 4k if the launcher isn't in 4k.
                  The launcher is 1080 by default (like bob said) but You can set it to real 4K (tiny icons) using the wm command in a shell. I managed to run an app I wrote in real 4k with this.
                  But the problem is still the same, 30hz is too low to be usable, so for now I stick to 1080p.

Comment

...But the problem is still the same, 30hz is too low to be usable, so for now I stick to 1080p.
                    I wonder why unusable. I run a seiki 4k TV at 30Hz and it is awesome! I have one at home and at work.
                    Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

If the problem is small icons then perhaps a DPI setting can fix that. What are the details of the wm command?

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                      If you look in framework-res.apk it does have folders for different resolution resources. These are really kind of made for "rotation" e.g. when you rotate your phone.
                      These are made so that apps can support phones with different screen densities or in other words different resolution. Rotating a phone doesn't change its density.
                      Applications also would all need to be updated to support different resolutions!
                      Almost all applications already do this.

Comment

Originally posted by dancar View Post
                        I wonder why unusable. I run a seiki 4k TV at 30Hz and it is awesome! I have one at home and at work.
                        Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

If the problem is small icons then perhaps a DPI setting can fix that. What are the details of the wm command?
                        IMHO, mouse and animations are extremely choppy on my box when in 4k30, but if you don't mind, good for you.
                        In fact I feel that android is running at 60Hz or 50hz and the 30Hz downgrading before output is poorly done.

For the wm commands you can try something like this (not sure for the "good" density)
                        wm size 3840x2160
                        wm density 240

Comment

IMHO, mouse and animations are extremely choppy on my box when in 4k30, but if you don't mind, good for you.
                          You must have very good eyes. I'm not really staring at the mouse, I'm mostly looking at the content behind the mouse. I'm looking at text most of the time, so not sure what animations are there to see. Last time I checked youtube was max 30 Hz.
                          wm size 3840x2160
                          wm density 240
                          Thanks!

Comment

Hello there thx you for every one replay me

can any one confirm that Bluetimes QPro support 100 % 4K or not

any one can recommend me order HiMedia Q5 4K becouse support 3d and Blu-Ray ISO

or go with
                            Bluetimes QPro

and i found this one support 8K

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/BT368-RK3288-Quad-Core-Android-4-4-TV-BOX-Cortex-A17-1-8GHz-4K-2K-H/702748_2042836788.html

Comment

Working...
                            X