No power to the Minix X7, bricked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No power to the Minix X7, bricked?

I've had my Minix for about 8 months and it has been working like a clock.
    However when I unplugged everything to move it to a new place something strange happened.

After plugging everything back, I get no power to the Minix. Not even when I try putting it back to the original place I previously had it.
    I've tried different power sockets to make sure they are not the problem. I'm using the original power adapter that has been working the whole time but there is no blue light indicating that the device is getting power. I've tried plugging the USB cable from the comp to the OTG port the but blue light is not coming back on. Not sure the computer can provide enough power for testing.

I'm at a loss here... what can I do for further testing? Just unplugging and moving the device to a new place shouldn't brick it.

If you put a desk lamp in the "new place" socket, what happens? You get the light or maybe the lamp immediately burns out? Is your "new place " socket short circuited ?

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by vn800art View Post
      If you put a desk lamp in the "new place" socket, what happens? You get the light or maybe the lamp immediately burns out? Is your "new place " socket short circuited ?

Yes I tried with a few other devices, lights, stereo etc. to make sure the power socket is not the problem. And yes I have short circuit protection all around the house.

Comment

OK, one step forward... the device is not dead!
        I connected the power to the Minix, and plugged in the OTG cable to my comp.
        Started RKTool 1.7 and press and held power + reset for a few seconds... then RK tools recognized my device Success!

Guess the FW is corrupted... although I have no idea how it is even remotely possible this could happen.

Any thoughts on this and how to proceed?

Comment

Maybe you thought you had switched off, but eventually it didn't, so taking off the power messed up something. You have Rktool on ... so it's up to you. What fw are You on at this moment?

Comment

Originally posted by vn800art View Post
            Maybe you thought you had switched off, but eventually it didn't, so taking off the power messed up something. You have Rktool on ... so it's up to you. What fw are You on at this moment?

The only thing I can think of, however unlikely is that I unplugged it while it was booting up or something. Anyway, I successfully reflashed with Quickshot 3.1 and now I'm at restoring all the apps and settings to how it used to be.

Just got freaked out a bit since this never happened before. And I also cannot blame it on me fiddling around with something to cause the Minix to brick.

Comment

Happy to hear You are back in business!

Comment

I seen this happen a few time on some of the X7/X7 Mini boxes.
                I think it has to do with "switching power supply" adapters that Minix is using. I requires a load for the adapter to provide any juice. Try plugging and unplugging the power adapter, check it with a voltmeter to see if it is providing current. One method I tried that works is to depress and hold the reset button and then plug in power adapter for 5-10 seconds and then power off and on again. Do this several times and it will power up !

Comment

Working...
                X