CS928: the overly shiny LED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CS928: the overly shiny LED

I just bought a CS928 and I have this problem: there is a VERY annoyingly bright blue led on the front of the CS928, which is always on. Even if the box is switched off with the button on the top, the led stays on.
    Worst part is that the led shines through the IR sensor window (strangely the IR works well), so if I cover the light I'm forced to use a radio remote and not the included infrared one.

Is there a way to turn it off by software?
    Is there a procedure to open the box and phisically reach the led to cover it in isolating tape or cutting it off? I do not see screws, maybe they are behind the gummy feet?
    Thanks

Resolved (almost)

I update my thread because I nearly resolved the problem.

First, I confirm there are 4 screws under the gum pads:

Unscrew them, then slide your fingernail all along the border to open the box (like most smartphone battery covers).

Here is the devilish led, it's on but I had to take the photo with flash:

So small yet so powerful, they should make some flashlight with those! (I'd buy one...).
    I tried to cover it with tape but in the end I had to use a good slice of a felt pad, covered with black tape:

Of course I did not cover anything else.
    Too much, you say? No... some light still comes out! But now I can live with it.

If the led burns, amen. I hope nothing else burns!

Comment

That's strange. Mine, though kind of annoying too, isn't nearly as strong as yours. I might do this "fix" as well, though.
      On a side note, what firmware did your unit ship with? Mine says "rk3288 eng 4.4.2 KOT49H eng ant.20140918.171407 test-keys". I wonder if it is newer than the one linked here on freaktab (starting with chuangsiqui... dated 20140912). And one more thing, did you manage to turn it on using the remote? I can only turn it off using the appropriate button.

Comment

LED wins
        I checked its light plugging power to the box, and it seemed acceptable. I closed the box, plugged it, then pushed the button to turn it on.... and the led came up with all its strength! I thought that pushing the button moved the felt pad, but no I unplugged it and re-plugged and the light was ok again.
        So... this led is too strong. Even when in stand-by the light wins against my mod. At least now it does not shine throught the IR window, but the button is clearly lighted.
        I'll try again soon!

Originally posted by ovecka View Post
        That's strange. Mine, though kind of annoying too, isn't nearly as strong as yours. I might do this "fix" as well, though.
        On a side note, what firmware did your unit ship with? Mine says "rk3288 eng 4.4.2 KOT49H eng ant.20140918.171407 test-keys". I wonder if it is newer than the one linked here on freaktab (starting with chuangsiqui... dated 20140912). And one more thing, did you manage to turn it on using the remote? I can only turn it off using the appropriate button.
        My firmware is the same as yours.
        The button on the box and the one on the remote have different functions:
        - the first turns on and off the box, cutting the power, so when it's off you have to push the button on the box and android boots
        - the second puts the box in stand-by, and wakes it up when pressed again. The box seems cool when in stand-by so I guess that works. The button on the remote does not turn it on if you turn it off with the button on the box.

Comment

Originally posted by ovecka View Post
          I wonder if it is newer than the one linked here on freaktab (starting with chuangsiqui... dated 20140912).
          This one might be last from 20141015
          百度网盘为您提供文件的网络备份、同步和分享服务。空间大、速度快、安全稳固,支持教育网加速,支持手机端。注册使用百度网盘即可享受免费存储空间
          CS918II/16GB(HTC-031-V1.0 board)
          CS918 (TN-BX09_V2.1 2013/05/31) FW: k-r42-old_revision-wasser-1.2.3- fried by 12V PS
          K-R42 board version B351_V2.0 1348, wifi Realtek8188ETV , RK3188T;FW: wasser-firmware-kr42-new-1.0.3

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
            This one might be last from 20141015
            http://pan.baidu.com/s/1sjpvmUT#path...25E4%25BB%25B6
            Thanks. Any "readable" changelog?

Comment

Originally posted by Spider Baby View Post
              LED wins
              If I'm you I would buy something like this (please don't ask me how to call it in English ) in black and place a little drops/drip at it...
              http://www.****.de/itm/GP-EUR-10-64-...item51b506f0ce
              RK3288 Devices
              - Overview BOX (LINK !)
              - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
              UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
              Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
              Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
              Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by Spider Baby View Post
                I just bought a CS928 and I have this problem: there is a VERY annoyingly bright blue led on the front of the CS928, which is always on. Even if the box is switched off with the button on the top, the led stays on.
                Worst part is that the led shines through the IR sensor window (strangely the IR works well), so if I cover the light I'm forced to use a radio remote and not the included infrared one.

Is there a way to turn it off by software?
                Is there a procedure to open the box and phisically reach the led to cover it in isolating tape or cutting it off? I do not see screws, maybe they are behind the gummy feet?
                Thanks
                Why Don't you replace (low bright one's) or remove the LED...

Comment

I would gladly get rid of it completely, but that presents two problems:
                  - guarantee would be null, and I bought the box in Europe to minimize guarantee troubles
                  - the led is very small, so I am not able to unsolder it.

Comment

Firmware

Received mine a few days ago, (OTT-CS928) LED not too bright - but always on.

Overall impression is good, though was unstable (restarting) when using the camera in Hangouts.

Reset the device and removed all the bloatware. Much better now.

Shipped with firmware version rk3288 eng 4.4.2 KOT49H eng ant.20140919.160911 test-keys is this older or newer than previously posted? (rk3288 eng 4.4.2 KOT49H eng ant.20140918.171407 test-keys)

Comment

Working...
                    X