Polaroid performance tweaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polaroid performance tweaks

I have just discovered (via xda-developers) an app that makes my 701C SCA-REAM! I've outlined the steps below-do this at your own risk, but I can tell you that I've been running it for the past hour and everything runs great. Netflix is even *useable* (albeit still a little choppy).

So here's the things you'll need:

1. The CWM recovery: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Byw2...k3VS1GcWc/edit (apologies if the owner doesn't want this link-let me know where I can link it (here perhaps??)
    Controls for CWM:
    Power- Main Menu
    Back - Select
    Home - Forward
    Menu - Reverse
    2. The "Pimp my ROM" zip file (get it from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1908269)
    3. Install the .apk you downloaded from step 1.
    4. Reboot into CWM recovery.
    5. Select "Install zip from sdcard"
    6. Select "choose zip from sdcard"
    7. Select the PIMP_MY_ROM.zip file you downloaded in step 2 and confirm. This will start the AROMA installer and allow you to select several different tweaks.
    ***NOTE: Make sure you select the 'correct' version of Android you're using. In my case, I installed the stock ICS ROM from ST and selected 'stock Ice Cream Sandwich' in the AROMA installer. Be somewhat selective with a few of the options, since they don't apply to our tablets.
    Last edited by elektrik; 10-15-2012, 20:52.
    https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Could you list what you've tried so I don't duplicate effort?

Comment

Originally posted by tronmech View Post
      Could you list what you've tried so I don't duplicate effort?
      Sure!

I've tried this on:

- CM10
      - Shawn's ICS (the one for the 701C with Google Play already installed)
      - Onda 4.04
      - Stock ICS (Polaroid)

Comment

Originally posted by elektrik View Post
        Sure!

I've tried this on:

- CM10
        - Shawn's ICS (the one for the 701C with Google Play already installed)
        - Onda 4.04
        - Stock ICS (Polaroid)
        Actually, I meant the options... Caused my tablet to **drag** but that could have been setCPU + the tweaks...

EDIT: Time to get logical here... Assess other tweaks before beating on it with the Pimp My Rom tweaker.

Comment

Actually, I meant the options... Caused my tablet to **drag** but that could have been setCPU + the tweaks...
          Oh, gotcha.

-On "what kind of rom are you running?" I selected stock "ice cream sandwich"
          -On 'Init.d Tweaks" I chose "on" for everything.
          -On "Build.prop Tweaks" I chose:
          -Battery saving tweaks
          -Wifi tweaks
          -Dalvik Ram tweaks
          -Deeper Sleep
          -Disable kernel error checking
          -Lock launcher in memory
          -Internet speed tweaks
          -Touchscreen tweaks
          -Allow purgeable assets
          -Scrolling tweaks
          -Video-Streaming tweaks
          -On "Enable/Disable Functionalities"
          -Allow Dalvik to use JIT
          -Enable video hardware acceleration
          -Disable boot-animation (Just my preference)
          -Enable GPU ui rendering
          -Disable sending of usage data
          -On "Extra Applications" I chose no options (again just my preference)
          -On "Add extra features to your tab!" I chose:
          -Beats Audio (cause I have it on my phone and I love the extra bass)
          -Install Adrenaline Boost script
          Last edited by elektrik; 10-10-2012, 22:36. Reason: Indent didn't work

Comment

I'll post a video link soon showing how smoothly everything runs (including Netflix)...

Comment

I have just discovered (via xda-developers) an app that makes my 701C SCA-REAM! I've outlined the steps below-do this at your own risk, but I can tell you that I've been running it for the past hour and everything runs great. Netflix is even *useable* (albeit still a little choppy).

So here's the things you'll need:

1. The CWM recovery: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Byw2...k3VS1GcWc/edit (apologies if the owner doesn't want this link-let me know where I can link it (here perhaps??)
              2. The "Pimp my ROM" zip file (get it from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1908269)
              3. Install the .apk you downloaded from step 1.
              4. Reboot into CWM recovery.
              5. Select "Install zip from sdcard"
              6. Select "choose zip from sdcard"
              6. Select the PIMP_MY_ROM.zip file you downloaded in step 2 and confirm. This will start the AROMA installer and allow you to select several different tweaks.
              ***NOTE: Make sure you select the 'correct' version of Android you're using. In my case, I installed the stock ICS ROM from ST and selected 'stock Ice Cream Sandwich' in the AROMA installer. Be somewhat selective with a few of the options, since they don't apply to our tablets.
              Owner (me) is cool with it. If I wasn't I'd make the link not public. It's Google's bandwidth not mine . Can't wait to try this script!

Comment

It's not wanting to let me use my touchscreen with a 704, was wondering if any of y'all knew how to get it to work? All I can do is use the volume buttons and home button for up and down. I can't actually select any of the menu options with the buttons available.

Comment

Originally posted by marquoz View Post
                  It's not wanting to let me use my touchscreen with a 704, was wondering if any of y'all knew how to get it to work? All I can do is use the volume buttons and home button for up and down. I can't actually select any of the menu options with the buttons available.
                  If you're referring to the AROMA script, I'd refer you to the XDA developer's forum post for "pimp my ROM". As for the recovery, I didn't even *know* there was a Polaroid PMID 704, so I can't help..

Comment

If you're referring to the AROMA script, I'd refer you to the XDA developer's forum post for "pimp my ROM". As for the recovery, I didn't even *know* there was a Polaroid PMID 704, so I can't help..
                    Totally meant to say for clockwork, sorry was posting before I had to leave for work. Btw the 704 is a 701i with cosmetic changes for the most part. Haven't noticed anything majorly different with it then the case and home screens.

Comment

Totally meant to say for clockwork, sorry was posting before I had to leave for work. Btw the 704 is a 701i with cosmetic changes for the most part. Haven't noticed anything majorly different with it then the case and home screens.
                      Oh, for the clockwork recovery? Gotcha. I've never gotten the touch to work before on it-I just use the buttons. As for the AROMA installer, the touch works perfectly.

For navigation through CWM recovery, it has been stated in other posts how to control but I'll put this in the main post above:

Power- Main Menu
                      Back - Select
                      Home - Forward
                      Menu - Reverse

Comment

Re: Polaroid performance tweaks

I'm not that sure that this is doing all that much, but it seems a bit faster. OTOH, my tablet has gone to "super sleep" (needing the power button held until it rebooted) both times I left it off the charger and unused for more than 4 hours.

Sent from my Polaroid Tablet using Tapatalk HD

Comment

I'm not that sure that this is doing all that much, but it seems a bit faster. OTOH, my tablet has gone to "super sleep" (needing the power button held until it rebooted) both times I left it off the charger and unused for more than 4 hours.

Sent from my Polaroid Tablet using Tapatalk HD
                          The two main areas I noticed vast improvement were the 'swiping' and the netflix application (I'm using Netflix 1.8. 2.0 doesn't even run on my 701C at all, regardless of Pimp my ROM install or not). Once netflix loads up everything, it's very usable, not choppy at all (including playback).

Comment

You can't tell *ANYTHING* about any device by looking at the case and home screens.

If the 704 has a camera, and doesn't have the TV out jack, then it's *NOT* a 701i with cosmetic changes.

The 704 interal hardware is diffrent-it's not the same as an 701i. If you even could get the 701i firmware to install on the 704, odds are you'll end up locking up the 704 tablet.

Comment

Re: Polaroid performance tweaks

Originally posted by c,lei View Post
                              You can't tell *ANYTHING* about any device by looking at the case and home screens.

If the 704 has a camera, and doesn't have the TV out jack, then it's *NOT* a 701i with cosmetic changes.

The 704 interal hardware is diffrent-it's not the same as an 701i. If you even could get the 701i firmware to install on the 704, odds are you'll end up locking up the 704 tablet.
                              Very true. Also welcome back c,lei

Sent from my Polaroid 701c tablet running Cm10

Comment

Working...
                              X