Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In an age of budget quad core tv boxes....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In an age of budget quad core tv boxes....

Why do dual-core Amlogic boxes like the GBox and it's derivatives(gref18, E-M6, etc.) still seem to enjoy popularity(sell)? It seems that for an additional $10(USD) or less, a quad core box with double the ram would be the better choice. Why then do the MX boxes still sell well?
    For instance, are they more reliable than budget quads? Do they do something better than the budget quads?
    My curiosity on this is huge.
    Any opinions?
    Thanks. -RISCy Dude

Originally posted by RISCy Dude View Post
    Why do dual-core Amlogic boxes like the GBox and it's derivatives(gref18, E-M6, etc.) still seem to enjoy popularity(sell)? It seems that for an additional $10(USD) or less, a quad core box with double the ram would be the better choice. Why then do the MX boxes still sell well?
    For instance, are they more reliable than budget quads? Do they do something better than the budget quads?
    My curiosity on this is huge.
    Any opinions?
    Thanks. -RISCy Dude
    Probably because they have been available for much longer.
    Was also the first boxes with hardware accelerated video playback with XBMC when other boxes struggled.
    Also sellers, distributors still have stock and first have to get rid of the old stock before they move on to newer devices. They can't sell newer devices for cheaper than the old devices, doesn't make business sense.
    Quad boxes are much better.

Comment

Thanks for replying mo123. For the most part, I accept the reasons you stated. But I remain curious because it seems new board revisions have been made in the recent past(true?). Also, I see quads(Amlogic S805 and RK3188) for less than MX boxes on the same site(geekbuying, etc.). Some even have 2GB ram. That being said, I wonder how they are able to sell them along side cheaper quads.
      Now, as someone who can't seem to make a decision on which box to get, I have myself, considered the MX boxes. I was swayed toward it, as it has a long history and it is well known/developed. However, I did not want to buy a box so far behind the curve.

Comment

Originally posted by RISCy Dude View Post
        Thanks for replying mo123. For the most part, I accept the reasons you stated. But I remain curious because it seems new board revisions have been made in the recent past(true?). Also, I see quads(Amlogic S805 and RK3188) for less than MX boxes on the same site(geekbuying, etc.). Some even have 2GB ram. That being said, I wonder how they are able to sell them along side cheaper quads.
        Now, as someone who can't seem to make a decision on which box to get, I have myself, considered the MX boxes. I was swayed toward it, as it has a long history and it is well known/developed. However, I did not want to buy a box so far behind the curve.
        Buy the latest Quad HPH RK3288(more expensive but with 16GB ROM, HDMI IN, 3 USB ports) or Q8 RK3288(cheaper).
        The Dual-Core boxes can't play H265 videos, so not worth buying at the moment.
        The prices have came down considerably for the older Quad AMLogic($60) and RK3188($48) devices as on Aliexpress.

Comment

People just like to buy things that have proven themselfs allready. Everyone on the internet can read about all issues accour with a lot of boxes so they tend to go for the saver option i think. Specs not allways makes a difference for what it will be used for.. 90% are using the box for xbmc so with a few good revieuws boxes with lower specs can easely be the favorite amoungst consumers.

Comment

It might be as simple as that's what comes up in Google. I've been wondering the same thing for months now, so I did a quick search for "XBMC Android box". The first two responses were for the GBox Midnight on Amazon. Similar results on YouTube too.
            Site: AndroidPCReview.com
            YouTube

Comment

Hello! This discussion has had important contributors, so I can easily add ( I hope to the benefit of the OP ) some other question here :
              I own a Minix x7 which is working fine on last CE KK rom, and was also more than sufficient with stock 010 JB rom. I want to start a project as in-car installation, and I have to find a device that meets these criteria:
              1) Output from 3.5mm socket of video (cvbs), audio l+r channels, to avoid installing a hdmi to analog converter
              2) Not big as dimensions as it has to go in the glove box
              3) Not power hungry or at least not too heat producing equipment
              4) Should be easily operated via a BT remote, to avoid installing an IR repeater in some place on the dash
              5) Reliable, good community support, this is also a must.
              As per the OP request, I have a feeling that many old dual core - stick mini computer should be eligible, to my needings, but I cannot find one which has all the highlights I need.
              Maybe there will be also last Rk3288 sticks on the replays.
              Thanks in advance

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk
              Edit
              Can I add also some miracast and/or wifi display functionality to the list?
              UP UP
              Ri UP UP
              Last edited by vn800art; 11-16-2014, 22:26.

Comment

Working...
              X