Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Operating System(s) do you run on your PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vampirefo View Post
    I can't say why people switch back to windows, could be they never really switched to Linux in the first place.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk
    Yeah alot of them just run it in a VM to make a custom Rom, and not much else afterwards. Then they go back to doing whatever it was they're doing!
    "I am a fan of android and other tech stuff like windows and linux on the desktop! I will contribute what I can to the FreakTab community, but only, what I'm willing to" -AndroidFanatic

Comment

My Ubuntu Customization actually worked and gave me the desired results!

Originally posted by AndroidFanatic View Post
      I wonder why some of these ROM developers crawl back to windows after using a linux distro to make their Roms! Windows tends to hang at times while most of the Linux distros I tried didn't (I right now use Ubuntu with Xubuntu-desktop and UbuntuStudio packages installed for less latency!) Try that combination if you want, I came up with it to get the best out of those Ubuntu flavors!
      Well, what do you know, it worked! It gave me the balance I was looking for from Ubuntu all along! Things on screen respond faster, thanks to the realtime kernel! The desktop is cleaner, more customization, and not sluggish, thanks to xubuntu-desktop (XFCE)! As for the tools I was using to build Custom Roms, they still work because I didn't uninstall anything from the core ubuntu packages, or it's default desktop (ubuntu-dekstop)!
      "I am a fan of android and other tech stuff like windows and linux on the desktop! I will contribute what I can to the FreakTab community, but only, what I'm willing to" -AndroidFanatic

Comment

Windows 7 on 4 machines and 8.1 on another.

Windows is simply the best for all round use.

I run Linux under a VM as part of my ROM building learning.
        R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

I see a lot Linux over VM. Since win7 Linux works better in dual boot. Every system has his own ssd.

JD - - - >N6

Comment

I have triple boot:
            1) main os- Ubuntu 14.04@128gb SSD
            2) dev os- Ubuntu 12LTS@64gb SSD
            3) helping purposes os- win 8.1@500gb partition sata hdd

Aside this i have win7&winxp on vm's (virtualbox).
            There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...

If you want to buy me a beer, please use this -> https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

My Ubuntu Desktop Configuration

Here's the flavors of ubuntu desktop meta packages I have!
              • ubuntu-desktop -Came by default with a fresh install of ubuntu, and if the package was not available (such as on another flavor of ubuntu), you could install this package with the following command in terminal!
                • Code:
                  sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

• ubuntu-studio-desktop -Installed with the following command in terminal!
                • Code:
                  sudo apt-get install ubuntu-studio-desktop

• UbuntuStudio Installer Packages -Got the installer to get those packages with the following command in terminal!
                • Code:
                  sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-installer

When I restarted my pc, the grub menu show 'ubuntu (low latency)' instead of 'ubuntu' at the top, so I selected this new low latency option that appeared to boot ubuntu, after that I logged in under the xubuntu-studio session from the lightdm logon screen that came with the ubuntustudio-installer package! And that is how I setup the desktop environments of ubuntu! If this works out well enough maybe it would be possible to pre-configure this and turn it into a ubuntu derivative!

Comment

Moved to Ubuntu 14.04 x64bit, now I don't use windows 8.1anymore and don't miss it much its buggy and android products have too much problems with fastboot, but Ubuntu everything works. Love it

Comment

Ubuntu is more usable than windows on my PC, because windows lags/hangs at random!

Originally posted by racky29 View Post
                  Moved to Ubuntu 14.04 x64bit, now I don't use windows 8.1anymore and don't miss it much its buggy and android products have too much problems with fastboot, but Ubuntu everything works. Love it
                  I stopped using windows on my PC most of the time, because it just hangs randomly, while the Ubuntu does't hang randomly! I know, Ubuntu or any Linux distro for that matter is not for everyone, but it does work better on my pc than even windows 7, especially when I have multiple tabs open in chrome! I tried the same thing in Windows on my PC, and it just hangs at random! The only times I experienced hanging, is when I don't touch the PC for serval hours and come back to it with everything still open, the same thing even happens in windows! But, on windows the lagging/hanging stays longer than on Ubuntu! And given that this PC is only a cheap Compaq PC from 2009 and it only has 2GB of ram and singlecore AMD processor, I'm impressed with how Ubuntu was smooth on it, it even works with my WiFi dongle! Thanks to that, I now only use windows on this PC when a program, feature, or peripheral (None of the ones I hooked into this PC, except for Xbox 360 controller, or some PC games required me to be on windows, yet!) requires it!

Comment

Originally posted by AndroidFanatic View Post
                    I stopped using windows on my PC most of the time, because it just hangs randomly, while the Ubuntu does't hang randomly! I know, Ubuntu or any Linux distro for that matter is not for everyone, but it does work better on my pc than even windows 7, especially when I have multiple tabs open in chrome! I tried the same thing in Windows on my PC, and it just hangs at random! The only times I experienced hanging, is when I don't touch the PC for serval hours and come back to it with everything still open, the same thing even happens in windows! But, on windows the lagging/hanging stays longer than on Ubuntu! And given that this PC is only a cheap Compaq PC from 2009 and it only has 2GB of ram and singlecore AMD processor, I'm impressed with how Ubuntu was smooth on it, it even works with my WiFi dongle! Thanks to that, I now only use windows on this PC when a program, feature, or peripheral (None of the ones I hooked into this PC, except for Xbox 360 controller, or some PC games required me to be on windows, yet!) requires it!
                    Looks like my custom Ubuntu Setup, actually saved the lag after a few hours with everything open, from happening to me, and that's with ubunutustudio-desktop and low latency kernel enabled!

Comment

Arch Linux

This linux distro lets you install what you want, if you're willing to build it up yourself! Don't worry if you don't know where to begin, the arch wiki will show you the way! There's even easy installers for arch Linux, if you just want to try it out, without it's manual install process! According to the arch community, it would be better if you installed the arch way (the way the beginners/installation guide shows you. Why, because if something were to go wrong, you would be able to fix it more efficiently, because you'll know how it was setup! I think any intermediate Linux user should at least try arch, this way at least once!

Comment

I actually only use Win8.1, because I can't be assed to install Ubuntu in UEFI mode. With my particular range of computer (Asus K56CB) the installer will just hang, and I have experienced no problems so far with Windows.

Comment

BBQLinux is an Arch Linux distro ready for android compiling or making apps. Uses the Mate desktop, uses less than 300MB ram. http://bbqlinux.org/

I use Ubuntu Mate 14.04.1 for compiling Lollipop and everyday use, 280MB ram. https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/
                          Working with older versions of android I use Ubuntu Server 12.04.5 with Mate desktop, only uses 220MB ram.
                          I have an old HP Pavilion Slimlime A4-3400 2.7 GHz AMD Radeon HD 6410D 4 GB ram. Mate is the only desktop manager that runs on my pc without hanging, not fancy like other desktops but gets the job done. http://mate-desktop.org/
                          ​Archos Gen9 A80S cm-11.0
                          Kindle Fire 2 cm-11.0

Comment

Using Manjaro instead of plain Arch Linux! <My story of why I did so, is in the body of this comment>

Originally posted by stevemp View Post
                            BBQLinux is an Arch Linux distro ready for android compiling or making apps. Uses the Mate desktop, uses less than 300MB ram. http://bbqlinux.org/

I use Ubuntu Mate 14.04.1 for compiling Lollipop and everyday use, 280MB ram. https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/
                            Working with older versions of android I use Ubuntu Server 12.04.5 with Mate desktop, only uses 220MB ram.
                            I have an old HP Pavilion Slimlime A4-3400 2.7 GHz AMD Radeon HD 6410D 4 GB ram. Mate is the only desktop manager that runs on my pc without hanging, not fancy like other desktops but gets the job done. http://mate-desktop.org/
                            I wiped my arch partition just so, I could move my windows partition to the end of the drive! The first problem came when I rebooted and found grub sitting at the rescue screen! So, then I thought I could just boot from a grub boot USB I made, so I could boot, even when grub is no longer functioning! When I went to boot my windows partition it gave an error about it's installation being inaccessible, telling me the only way to get it booted again, is to run the windows repair disc! At that point I thought I was screwed. I thought I was screwed because, I had no repair disc near me and no funtioning windows install to make one! Then I found a torrent site I could use to fetch an install iso, so I could copy it to my USB stick! When I tried it with the files I extracted to it, the USB couldn't boot! So, at that point I grabbed the other USB stick, that had gparted live on it, and decided to boot off that! And I went into gparted to mark my USB as bootable. After that, I rebooted my PC with the USB stick selected , from the boot menu to boot off of it! It worked that time, but when I went to the, 'Repair Your Computer' section of the installer! And, it didn't even list the windows installation, so I looked all over the internet to find out how to repair it and after I typed the commands I needed to get the os to show up again, I ran startup repair, and clicked the button to reboot! After I rebooted it, windows loaded and since I didn't want to setup arch again, I decided to get Manjaro! That OS installed perfectly, with only a separate home partition! That is my story on how I got to switch to Manjaro from Arch Linux!

Comment

Linux Mint 13 Xfce

Laptop: Acer Aspire One ZG5 (Don't ask me why...)

Since my laptop is very much outdated and Windows XP started to run laggy as hell I needed to change OS. First I tried Puppy Linux but is was little bit too simple. Then I tried Mint 13 Mate but ther was little bit lag. Then I moved to Mint 13 Xfce and everything is running smoothly now. So only reason to use Linux Mint 13 "Maya" Xfce is that my device can not handle others operating systems (expect Puppy).

I have also expanded my RAM memory to 1.5Gb and OC to 1,8Ghz. I guess I'm using this laptop as long this is working.

Comment

The big three, mostly. My rig's a Hackintosh, so yes I run OS X Yosemite alongside Xubuntu 14.04 and Windows 7.

Comment

Working...
                                X