ug802+ mini usb port FIX by soldering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ug802+ mini usb port FIX by soldering

Hi guys, I received my ug802+ this week, it was great I was really happy with it. However me being me i have to show my shit off and after demonstrating its capabilities to my step-son I removed it from my av receiver to show him how small it was.........the bloody stupid power cable came out with the mini USB socket still attached!!! NOOoo!! I am hoping I can just resolder it back on the board but maybe I'm being a bit ambitious!! Anyone have any advice??

Buy an active USB Hub and power up your ug802 through the normal usb port. Thats how my device work, because it came right from china with a broken mini usb slot...

Comment

active USB Hub ok cool thanks.

Comment

Im using this one: http://www.amazon.de/LogiLink-4-Port...836786&sr=8-15

The site is in german but it may helps

Comment

Originally posted by hayabusa View Post
          Buy an active USB Hub and power up your ug802 through the normal usb port. Thats how my device work, because it came right from china with a broken mini usb slot...
          Can you update the rom via the normal usb slot? I have had the same issue, the microusb connector came away. I soldered it back on but it loses power and connection if the cable is moved. Can you use other usb devices as well using the hub?

Comment

Hi back again, after looking about a bit I was thinking; can't I just solder the power lead wires straight to the board somehow so I don't have to worry about the port.

Comment

Originally posted by greener1 View Post
              Hi back again, after looking about a bit I was thinking; can't I just solder the power lead wires straight to the board somehow so I don't have to worry about the port.
              I don't know about that but what I do know the connector has 5-6n pins that need to line up for data transfer. I considered that as well.

Comment

Broken microusb port

@greener... This is what I did, soldering the power wires directly to the motherboard... I put it in an iPod touch case because I can't leave everything in the original case...too fragile with the connections like that...
                PS: I am asking again: does anyone know of some alternative solder points for the USB data+ and data-?
                thanks in advance

Comment

The trace for one of the data lines (Pin 3) is easy to follow to a surface mount capacitor right near the micro usb port. However I tried to trace the other data line (Pin 2) and it leads under a chip that is in the metal RF box near the port. I cannot find a termination for it on either side of the board so it appears the only way is to remove the metal box as it will be under there.

Bob
                  "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                  "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                  "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                  "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                  "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                  "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                  "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                  "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                  "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by killain View Post
                    Can you update the rom via the normal usb slot?
                    Can anyone answer this for me? Is it possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                      The trace for one of the data lines (Pin 3) is easy to follow to a surface mount capacitor right near the micro usb port. However I tried to trace the other data line (Pin 2) and it leads under a chip that is in the metal RF box near the port. I cannot find a termination for it on either side of the board so it appears the only way is to remove the metal box as it will be under there.

Bob
                      Hi Bob, I managed to solder the four wires (Vcc, D-, D+, GND) after the micro usb port on my ug802 broke off. The other data wire was soldered onto the other capacitor. I bricked the ug802 so it was a last resort, so that i could then short the 2 pads to get into recovery and flash the stock rom . Everthing back to normal with your rom reinstalled via sd card. CAUTION this soldering mod is very difficult , i only attempted it as a last resort, using a pc microscope and modified soldering iron. Keep up the good work Bob.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by jim11525; 10-26-2012, 08:26.

Comment

Wow jim, that's brilliant dude! Can u post a PIC from above so I can see exactly where that red wire is soldered to please? Looks tricky but I'm gonna give it a go. How was your soldering iron modified?

Comment

Jim, if you get some small diameter wire this would have been a lot easier. It's called "wire wrap" wire and is very thin. Perfect for soldering to surface mount components!

When using heavy wire like you used, the amount of heat required to solder can actually desolder those surface mount components!

What I would have done is glued down the original connector then run the solder wrap wire to those points. Nice and tidy and works well. I have done a lot of board repair like this.

BUT GLAD you got it mate!

Hmmmmm I checked with a meter and for me I did not get a test line to that other capacitor? Maybe I missed something.

Bob
                          "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                          "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                          "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                          "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                          "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                          "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                          "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                          "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                          "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by greener1 View Post
                            Wow jim, that's brilliant dude! Can u post a PIC from above so I can see exactly where that red wire is soldered to please? Looks tricky but I'm gonna give it a go. How was your soldering iron modified?
                            I have just put it all back together and connected it to my tv, and dont fancy disturbing it again at the moment. Basically i carefully scraped a small area of the blue insulation from the circuit board connected to pin 1 and soldered the red wire there. I ground the tip of my soldering iron to a thin point, because i had to solder the data wires on the edge of what look like surface mounted capacitors and i didnt want to short anything (everthing is micro small). As i said my ug was out of action and i would have had to throw it away, so nothing to lose. If your unit is working i would be tempted to use a usb hub and power it through that. You can then update using the sd card . Good luck. nb. please also read Bobs comment.
                            Last edited by jim11525; 10-25-2012, 22:19. Reason: extra

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                              Jim, if you get some small diameter wire this would have been a lot easier. It's called "wire wrap" wire and is very thin. Perfect for soldering to surface mount components!

When using heavy wire like you used, the amount of heat required to solder can actually desolder those surface mount components!

What I would have done is glued down the original connector then run the solder wrap wire to those points. Nice and tidy and works well. I have done a lot of board repair like this.

BUT GLAD you got it mate!

Hmmmmm I checked with a meter and for me I did not get a test line to that other capacitor? Maybe I missed something.

Bob
                              I agree it would have been neater. i have now fitted it into an old router box with a usb hub. Out of site etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X