Need assistance using 10 point touch display with android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need assistance using 10 point touch display with android

Greetings! I have gotten in a bit over my head and even after searching the forums I am still not completely clear of the best route to take - or if what I am trying to do is even possible.

I have an Acer T272HL bmjjz. It is a 27" touch display that uses a USB for the HID and is Windows 8 10 point touch compatible.

Ultimately, I would just like to have an android device hooked up to the display and working properly. If that means buying a different device, I'm fine with that as well. I have read all different threads about firmware, compiling kernels, installing IDC files. All of which I'm fine with, I am just trying to find out IF it is even possible before I spend hours trying to muddle through it.

At the moment, I have a basic RK3188 android TV stick from DigitalSignage.com. It seems to have some proprietary software that is making it difficult to access/root.

FYI - here is some info from my android device:
    kernel 3.0.36+
    build rk31sdk
    vendor info: rk3188_r-box_android4.2.2-sdk_v1.0.0_130514

Here is what I got from the USB port when the display HID was connected:
    Product ID: 0x0610
    Vendor ID: 0x05e3 (Genesys Logic, Inc.)
    Version: 70.17
    Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
    Manufacturer: GenesysLogic
    Location ID: 0x14200000 / 9
    Current Available (mA): 500
    Current Required (mA): 100

The touch screen works to some degree. When using 5 fingers I'm able to drag the 'circle' cursor around the screen. A 6th touch is a 'click' and sometimes with all 10 fingers I'm able to drag things - but not very well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Charlie
    Last edited by charlieaf92; 12-06-2014, 20:26.

A quick update. I've identified the hardware as a UGOOS UM2 stick.

I've used the .IDC vendor/product method to get it working as a touch display, but it only works with 5 fingers. After doing some reading it appears that the kernel that I have does not support the new 10 point touch display. It sounds like the kernel needs to be at least 3.0.56+

Trying to figure out what route to take next. Any help would be appreciated. Buying a different Android stick is fine if there is one known to work that is easy to get running.

Thanks
    Charlie

Comment

I've gotten to the end of my patience with the Ugoos. Just ordered a Tronsmart S89-H because another member posted that it works out of the box with a 10 point touch display. Apparently it runs on the 3.1 Kernel. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Can you let me know how it goes? I have a tronsmart s89 and it looks very interesting to get that working with a 10 point touchscreen.. Did you pay much for your touchscreen?

Comment

Greetings. Here is the report. USB HID 10 point touch works out of the box with the Tronsmart 89-H. It came with the 3.1 kernel and I believe this is why it works. There was no need for custom rom, firmware or adding IDC files. It just worked exactly like it should. Touch, swipe, pinch gestures all work.

My advice to anyone struggling to get an older kernel to work with touch is to buy an updated device. I spent hours with my UGOOS UM2 and was at best only able to get touch to work more as a pointing device, and it required 5 fingers just to register.

Comment

Originally posted by lex_q View Post
            Can you let me know how it goes? I have a tronsmart s89 and it looks very interesting to get that working with a 10 point touchscreen.. Did you pay much for your touchscreen?
            It was $399 from Amazon. Not cheap, but not bad for the size. It seems that touch displays jump significantly in price once you get above 21".

Comment

Another alternative is USB touch overlay. The infrared ones are fairly cheap and you can go as big as 40" for just $200-300. I don't know how well it works but they claim 5 points or even 10 points multi-touch supported. I bet most people have a used flat panel TV at home that they planned on upgrading.

Comment

Working...
              X