Custom kernel development for U30GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom kernel development for U30GT

So the guys at armtvtech have managed to merge the missing parts into the BQ Edison GPL sources. The source appears to be for kernel 3.0.8, the one in 900supersport's ROM is, i believe, the official one - 3.0.8+.

I've managed to compile cifs.ko, and achieving some sort of compatibility with the official kernel (by appending "+" to the local version). After insmod mount no longer returns "No such device" when mounting a network share, however it stil doesn't want to mount (Errors with "No such file or directory" even if it exists and is chmod'ed to 777).

I'm no kernel developer, but if i had to take a wild guess id say it's because the official kernel has no support for network filesystems whatsoever (in menuconfig to get to CIFS, you need to enable a general network filesystem support) and that's what prevents mount from succeeding. Its either that or the bundled mount lacks network mounting capabilities by design.

With the fact that insmod worked i make another wild assumption that inserting modules from original kernel to the recompiled one would also be possible.

I'd like to try the same thing guys in armtvtech did - recompile the kernel with options found in dmesg at boot time, add CIFS support and if needed bundle the original kernel modules.

I see that system.img is ext3, but have no idea whats inside the files included with 900supersports ROM (kernel.img, boot.img...). Is there any guide/tools on those *.img files? Maybe devs could provide a small howto on packaging a kernel for 'Rom flashing tool'?

Thanks
    Last edited by junaru; 10-22-2012, 14:26. Reason: model name

Re: Custom kernel development for U30GT

System.img should be ext4 on my ROMs. Not certain what you are after in terms of system.img, it's pretty much a standard cube 1.7 image with mods as details in the posts.
    900Supersport

900supersports FreakTab rkROMkitchen

900supersports guide to working-RK-ROMs

Under Construction 900supersports guide to working MediaTek ROMS

Struggling for time at the moment, but will try and drop by when I can.

If you would like to support my ROM development then please visit my Google site donate page where you can make a paypal donation

freaktab developer

Proof that you're never to old to learn. Sometimes too old to remember though.

Comment

Originally posted by 900supersport View Post
      System.img should be ext4 on my ROMs. Not certain what you are after in terms of system.img, it's pretty much a standard cube 1.7 image with mods as details in the posts.
      Im not after system.img its just the only image i was able to access at all. I'm looking for resources on how the kernel.img and boot.img are made/modified.

Comment

Re: Custom kernel development for U30GT

I doubt I can help much but here goes.

Kernel.img
        Boot.img can have both a kernel and the boot.img ram disk. If a kernel is included here then it will be the kernel used during a normal boot.
        Recovery.img as boot.img can have a kernel as well as the recovery ram disk. If present this kernel will be used for any boot to recovery.

So if you are making your own kernel you will need to ensure that the boot.img and preferably the recovery.img have no embedded kernel.

Hope this helps
        900Supersport

900supersports FreakTab rkROMkitchen

900supersports guide to working-RK-ROMs

Under Construction 900supersports guide to working MediaTek ROMS

Struggling for time at the moment, but will try and drop by when I can.

If you would like to support my ROM development then please visit my Google site donate page where you can make a paypal donation

freaktab developer

Proof that you're never to old to learn. Sometimes too old to remember though.

Comment

Working...
        X