Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to put a new kernel inside a custom rom

Hello there

First of all let me say that you have a wonderful site, that explains and help a lot all kind of problems regarding android devices.

I would like a little bit of help in this issue....because i´m a nooby in programming android devices.

My question is:

- Is there a tutorial of how to put a kernel inside a custom rom?

Ex: Using a custom rom, but i want to put a RTL8723BS kernel inside of it to make the wifi and BT work, and i really don´t know how to do it (i´m using a MK809III stick with the RTL8723bs wifi chip)

I use RKbatchtool (great tool by the way..) and i can´t (or don´t know how)to put the RTL8723BS kernel inside the custom rom

Can someone help me and explain how do i do it??

Thank you very much in advance

Kalhaumina

You have a very valid question...which deserves an answer...but please quit making so many posts and threads asking the same question. No matter which forum you post in...we can all see it the first time.

The RKBatchTool is designed to only flash a ROM that is packaged in one update.img file (or whatever the file name is). Factory firmware is all packed nicely within one file...so user's don't have to deal with options.

It's very difficult (not impossible, however) to create an update.img file as a custom firmware...and most developers don't want to do that, anyway. It would be much harder to explain how to repack the update.img because I don't do it, myself...and it requires some steps that an inexperienced user may not be able to handle.

When you unpack the firmware you get:

bootloader.bin
    kernel.img
    misc.img
    boot.img
    recovery.img
    system.img
    parameter
    plus some other files that aren't really necessary.

In custom ROM development we unpack the firmware into these individual files in order to make changes. Usually the changes are made in system.img and boot.img. Custom kernels also come into play with either a patched kernel or one that has been compiled from source code.

Rather than packing them back into an update.img file, I prefer to leave them unpacked and use the RKFlashTool to flash the ROM (it's the tool I include in all of my Rockchip based custom ROM's).

The tool provides a line for each of the above components.

So, in your case...instead of the stock kernel...you direct the flash tool to the custom kernel file.

If you just want to flash the kernel (instead of having to flash the whole ROM)...you can uncheck the items from the list and only flash the kernel. Just remember NOT to erase IDB when you flash...or it will erase the whole ROM from your device...and you will need to flash the whole ROM anyway.

So, while not exactly answering your question...I hope I've been able to point you in a direction that will suit your needs with fewer headaches.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
      You have a very valid question...which deserves an answer...but please quit making so many posts and threads asking the same question. No matter which forum you post in...we can all see it the first time.

The RKBatchTool is designed to only flash a ROM that is packaged in one update.img file (or whatever the file name is). Factory firmware is all packed nicely within one file...so user's don't have to deal with options.

It's very difficult (not impossible, however) to create an update.img file as a custom firmware...and most developers don't want to do that, anyway. It would be much harder to explain how to repack the update.img because I don't do it, myself...and it requires some steps that an inexperienced user may not be able to handle.

bootloader.bin
      kernel.img
      misc.img
      boot.img
      recovery.img
      system.img
      parameter

In custom ROM development we unpack the firmware into these individual files in order to make changes. Usually the changes are made in system.img and boot.img. Custom kernels also come into play with either a patched kernel or one that has been compiled from source code.

Rather than packing them back into an update.img file, I prefer to leave them unpacked and use the RKFlashTool to flash the ROM (it's the tool I include in all of my Rockchip based custom ROM's).

So, in your case...instead of the stock kernel...you direct the flash tool to the custom kernel file.

If you just want to flash the kernel (instead of having to flash the whole ROM)...you can uncheck the items from the list and only flash the kernel. Just remember NOT to erase IDB when you flash...or it will erase the whole ROM from your device...and you will need to flash the whole ROM anyway.

So, while not exactly answering your question...I hope I've been able to point you in a direction that will suit your needs with fewer headaches.
      Thank you sooooooooooooo much ryleypm for helping me....and yes....you´ve pointed me to the right direction...thank you so much

I´m sorry by posting my request in many threads...it won´t happen again.

This tv stick i have is melting my f..... brain out, because of the rtl8723bs wifi chip....can´t find a working rom for it, besides the stock rom that sucks big time....it´s always making my stick reboot after a few minutes....(i think its a heating issue) ...that´s why i want to try a softer rom with the rtl8723bs kernel to see if it works.
      You ´don´t know any roms that works on this RK3188T w/RTL8723bs that you can advise me??

Best Regards and many thanks

Comment

Sorry, I'm pretty much a tablet guy. There are toooooo many TV sticks for me to keep track of.
        Randy
        Read my BIO Here
        Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
        Donate here

Comment

Sorry, I'm pretty much a tablet guy. There are toooooo many TV sticks for me to keep track of.
          Thank you anyway.....you´ve helped me a lot.

If you´re a tablet guy (like me eheh) still there isn´t any news for the Toshiba Excite Pro AT10LE-A....still bootloader locked right?? unable to root yet...

I know that a nothing to do with the thread........

Best Regards

Comment

I'm working on a custom rom based on the stock 4.4 rom for the MK809III with the Realtek RTL8723BS wifi/bluetooth. There are other threads with 4.2 rom in the correct forum: http://www.freaktab.com/forumdisplay...V-MK809III-etc
            Currently Inactive on Freaktab.com
            I use: MK903V | MELE F10 Deluxe | Roku 3600R
            RIP: MK808b | MK809III | PIPO M9 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by kalhauman View Post
              Thank you anyway.....you´ve helped me a lot.

If you´re a tablet guy (like me eheh) still there isn´t any news for the Toshiba Excite Pro AT10LE-A....still bootloader locked right?? unable to root yet...

I know that a nothing to do with the thread........

Best Regards
              I'm not familiar with that SoC. Rockchip's and MTK's are my specialty...learning Allwinner, too.
              Randy
              Read my BIO Here
              Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by budgetgeek View Post
                I'm working on a custom rom based on the stock 4.4 rom for the MK809III with the Realtek RTL8723BS wifi/bluetooth. There are other threads with 4.2 rom in the correct forum: http://www.freaktab.com/forumdisplay...V-MK809III-etc
                Thank you so much for the help budgetgeek....and yes i´m more than interested in your newest rom and she comes out

Comment

Originally posted by kalhauman View Post
                  Thank you sooooooooooooo much ryleypm for helping me....and yes....you´ve pointed me to the right direction...thank you so much

I´m sorry by posting my request in many threads...it won´t happen again.

This tv stick i have is melting my f..... brain out, because of the rtl8723bs wifi chip....can´t find a working rom for it, besides the stock rom that sucks big time....it´s always making my stick reboot after a few minutes....(i think its a heating issue) ...that´s why i want to try a softer rom with the rtl8723bs kernel to see if it works.
                  You ´don´t know any roms that works on this RK3188T w/RTL8723bs that you can advise me??

Best Regards and many thanks
                  didnt work

Comment

bootloader.bin
                    kernel.img
                    misc.img
                    boot.img
                    recovery.img
                    system.img
                    parameter

Hello rryleypm
                    I tried like you said, and it didn´twork.

I tried the rkbatchtool, but it didn´t have the option to change the directory where the kernel is.....than i tried putting the kernel image inside the devtools folder, where the original kernel is, and replaced the old kernel with the new one, and them just flash the kernel without erasing IDB.
                    But them the stick didn´t boot.

im out of options

Best regards

Comment

You need the freaktab finless tool.

If you mixing kernels with roms, you may want to extract the boot and kernel from your rom and flash them to another good rom, like the neomode rom. download his installer, and then you'll be able to flash the kernel separate from the system.

And don't feel frustrated, I once asked the same questions you are.

Comment

If you check around the forum I posted earlier, there is a thread with the stock rom included and I commented and shared the vsync overclocked kernels for the 4.2 version. It is really good for me, I use it because I can root 4.2 easily. This way, you can download the kernels for the 4.2 and the neomode rom for 4.2 and mix the two to see if they work.

Even if it doesn't, you are no worse off from where you are now.

Comment

Originally posted by budgetgeek View Post
                          You need the freaktab finless tool.

If you mixing kernels with roms, you may want to extract the boot and kernel from your rom and flash them to another good rom, like the neomode rom. download his installer, and then you'll be able to flash the kernel separate from the system.

And don't feel frustrated, I once asked the same questions you are.
                          Thank you for the reply budgetgeek

The problem is tried neomode tool to try and flash the kernel, and gave me an error and did´t continue.
                          This MK89III is the worst stick ever made.....for you to understand my problem, my stick overheats a loooooot and after 10min, it shuts down and reboot...all of this in stock rom.
                          Because he has the RTL8723bs chip, i can´t find any rom that works on this stick thats why i´am trying to mix kernels to see if it works.....god this stick is messing with my brain.

Do you know any suitable rom for this stick, or can you explain how to flash the kernel in any tool??

Best regards

Comment

I have the same stick, I have no problems with it.

To make mine work well, I downloaded the Rockchip Factory Tool 4.4 and loaded the Stock 4.2 ROM (link in signature) from R-Box. I went through one by one and found all the useless apps that were pre-installed and removed them. I added a few apps, most importantly Null Input Method because I uninstalled the stock keyboard. I removed voice search apps, maps, etc. You can search for an app name if you don't know what it is or if it is needed. You can download any free apps that you would like to pre-install but be careful, some will not work as a system app, and you can always install them later. You can edit the build.prop and add a custom boot image, etc. Save it and be sure to add the .img extension when you do.

Once you get there, connect the stick to the TV and the OTG to the computer, make sure drivers are installed, power it on, and get into flash mode, however you do it. Using the Batch Tool from the same post as the factory tool, flash the whole thing that you just customized and thinned out.

Boot up the stick again, and make sure everything works (my first attempt messed up the Home button on my keyboard, so I had to start over...). Since it is a 4.2 ROM, it is easy to root, just go to Developer Options and enable USB debugging, plug into OTG and use the Root/Unroot Tool here. Now you can further remove system apps or install root apps that will help with use and performance, like SetCPU, Titanium Backup and Busybox.

Now you will need the Freaktab flash tool. You have the Neomode ROM, it's in there, so just use that. Get the stick in flash mode and uncheck all of the boxes. Download the files from Prahjister here and then check on the boot location box on the right and find the folder you downloaded and unzipped (requires 7zip), then check on the kernel location box on the right and find the kernels you downloaded. It is a RK3188T chip, so you may not be able to overclock it to 1.6 or 1.8mhz so just use the 1408 CPU with moderate overclock of GPU and RAM kernel, and with only those two boxes checked, click Flash ROM (DO NOT ERASE IDB, DO NOT CHECK BOOTLOADER). Try until you find one that works for you...

Now you have the basic stock rom with root and a overclocked kernel, init.d support, debloated, etc.

I will be doing the same thing to the 4.4 rom, but I'm more comfortable with the 4.2 rom so I started there.

Comment

Working...
                            X