Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My settings apk is borked, persists after multiple resets and flashes. (Minix X8-H)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My settings apk is borked, persists after multiple resets and flashes. (Minix X8-H)

Hello folks, got my brand new Minix x8-h yesterday and got a-flashing as soon as I could.
    Now... somewhere along the way something went terribly wrong and no matter what rom I flash (stock included) My settings apk will not show up in the app drawer.

This persists:
    After a reset.
    After multiple flashes
    Across multiple launchers

The apk is installed on the system and settings are accessible through the quicksettings pulldown in the statusbar, and the apk is listen among running applications.
    I have also tried manually reinstalling the settings apk after extracting it from the stock firmware.

Does anyone have any idea what I can try next? the fact that this persists after clean flashing a new firmware boggles me.

Since this problem persists on the Tronsmarts too, I've created a "visible in the App drawer" settings.apk a few months ago.
    Check this post from me should work for the Minix too.

EDIT: just tested on my x8 Plus, works.
    Do not forget to reboot, after you replaced the apk!

Comment

Brilliant, this worked like a charm.
      Thank you so much!

Comment

We have created a shortcut in the MINIX Metro launcher,
        just go to the upper right hand corner, click on the Time (clock),
        it will go into Android settings directly.

You could also access from: Settings -> Other -> More Settings

Comment

Originally posted by MINIX View Post
          We know that all.
          But an "un-crippled" Settings.apk will let you create a shortcut wherever you want, independent from the used Launcher.
          However, is there any special reason, why the settings.apk was removed from the App drawer?

Comment

Originally posted by vel2000 View Post
            We know that all.
            But an "un-crippled" Settings.apk will let you create a shortcut wherever you want, independent from the used Launcher.
            However, is there any special reason, why the settings.apk was removed from the App drawer?
            It's just the way AML did it in their SDK. They decided rather than add all the HDMI and sound settings to the stock settings, to make the Mbox settings instead. I think their thought on this was their mbox settings is easier for newbee users for getting the box up and setup fast.

It can be unhidden easily by modifying the manifest in the APK.
            My ROM's I also put a shortcut on the desktop to it.

Bob
            "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
            "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
            "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
            "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
            "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
            "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
            "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
            "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
            "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by MINIX View Post
              We have created a shortcut in the MINIX Metro launcher,
              just go to the upper right hand corner, click on the Time (clock),
              it will go into Android settings directly.

Thank you for responding MINIX.

I had found the clock settings shortcut but I prefer to use an alternative launcher and seeing as I change regular settings more often then the ones contained in the minix settings app this would add unnecessary steps for me.

A big reason I chose for an android media solution is choice, the choice to organize my system exactly the way I want it.

Comment

Which launcher do you use. Nova for example has system settings in the menu you get when you press the remote menu button at the home screen. I'm fairly sure it works but need to check after the kids have finished watching the strictly dancing Christmas special.

Edit to add: just tried It Nova and it does work. I'm using an M2 remote and on the home screen I press the menu ( top right button) and get a menu with system settings as an option, this opens the full Android settings page as expected.
                Last edited by jimbobvfr; 01-02-2015, 13:33.

Comment

Thanks jimbob, I do use Nova Launcher and I was aware of the shortcut but I'm trying to make this setup as girlfriendproof as possible.
                  Anyhows the apk posted earlier works perfectly so for me the matter is resolved.

Comment

Working...
                  X