Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep just solder it to ANT and feed it through

Comment

One more question... should it be insulated or without insulation?

Comment

MK808B Plus - problem with wifi signal reception

Originally posted by myroman View Post
        One more question... should it be insulated or without insulation?
        I personally would insulate inside but leave bare outside

Comment

Wow i had never checked the 2.4ghz receiver for the air mouse....thanks for the tip unplugging it bumped my speed test from 3-4 mps to 18+mps just added a 5 foot usb extenson to the adapter and all seems good enough.

Mucked around with this all morning looking at stuttering issues....stick was perfect upon finless install BUT i switched from a BT keyboard to a 2.4ghz air mouse last week.

Thanks again.

Comment

I tested today two similar sticks.
            MK808B Plus with modded antena (12 cm copper wire) and MK809 Plus (no modification but with dual wifi connectivity onboard).
            So, I analyzed wifi signal with wifi analyzer from playstore. The router was behind thick wall in another room.
            MK808B Plus had -64 dBm and MK809 Plus has -50 dBm.
            It looks like that dual wifi (2.4GHz/5.0GHz) in mk809 resulted with better signal reception.
            Or the manufacturer just impplemented some antena fix in the stick.
            So if anybody had some doubt about this two little beasts, it definetly can purchase a mk809 plus stick.

Comment

A different, non-invasive approach - external parabolic antenna booster

A non-invasive way to boost signals for WiFi that works with most any 'WiFi stick' with embedded or rabbit ear antenna is to use a homemade dish type antenna tuned to the wifi frequency.

Ingredients:

A pattern for a parabolic (dish) antenna. You can find this on Wikipedia and do-it-yourself sites. Search for Parabolic antenna pattern or DIY wifi antenna booster to find sites like http://www.binarywolf.com/249/diy-pa...-reflector.htm

I used a piece of heavy screen cut from an old satellite TV dish, and a piece of semi-rigid foam packing material that is cut using knife and scissors to the angle needed for 2.4GHz. I simply printed out one of the patterns from a website and cut out an about 2 inches thick block of foam to the parabolic curve. Then I hot-gun glued the bent screen to the foam which holds its shape to the proper angle and provides rigidity and a way to mount USB wifi dongles.. or, in this case an Android TV dongle.

Results:

The resulting about 1 foot square antenna will focus the signal towards its center about 1.5" (see pictures and figures or formula on websites for correct measurement) of the curve. This increases signal strength from 3db to 12db. It also reduces unwanted interference.

Drawbacks:
              This antenna is about 1' square and clumsy. However, I tuck mine behind the TV with all the other clutter so you don't much see it.
              It takes a bit of work, however, this parabolic antenna reflector can be reused for other dongles. I made two of these and previously used this one with a rabbit ear. a whole in the foam a bit narrower than the rabbit ear fits snuggly in place. I crammed the end of the MK808B plus cable into that hole and the device fits in place nicely. If I get a new TV dongle, I can reuse the modded antenna.

This makes the signal reception more directional. I used a WiFi analyser ap to show signal strength and moved the angle and direction of the antenna to receive optimal signal strength. That means I have to watch it to make sure no one has moved it considerably.

Benefits:

This increased the signal from around -56 db with varying strength, to a very stable -48db.. when I looked at the signal meter at first I thought the ap had locked up it was so steady. that is good because what you want is stability as well as strength.

The Speedtest.net test showed about a 50% gain in bandwidth with more consistent results. I am still getting only 12-15Mbps, but that is enough of an improvement to get much better performance out of the MK808B.
              Other benefits: no pucking with the internal device.

Comment

Hi. I have purchased six mk808b plus to date for myself and friends. In the last batch I received one unit that has wifi issues.
                I have tried different rooms, unsoldering ground and then replacing antenna with copper wire. No fix yet.
                Problems range from not wifi network visible, to trying to connect indefinitely, to obtaining ip but with minimal connection speed (under 100kb).

The last repair with copper wire won't obtain an IP address. What's left to try?
                Can it be repaired, or Is a USB wifi adaptor an option?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Samster View Post
                  Hi. I have purchased six mk808b plus to date for myself and friends. In the last batch I received one unit that has wifi issues.
                  I have tried different rooms, unsoldering ground and then replacing antenna with copper wire. No fix yet.
                  Problems range from not wifi network visible, to trying to connect indefinitely, to obtaining ip but with minimal connection speed (under 100kb).

The last repair with copper wire won't obtain an IP address. What's left to try?
                  Can it be repaired, or Is a USB wifi adaptor an option?

Thanks in advance
                  ask them for refund
                  Android devices: Minix X7 (gone) , Minix X8-H , MK808b Plus
                  Video Out: Benq W1000+ 1080p Projector
                  Audio Out: HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467B + 5.1 Yamaha Speakers
                  Remote: Rikomagic MK702 II, Minix NEO M1
                  Storage: NAS Zyxel NSA325v2

Comment

Working...
                  X