Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential WiFi speed/signal fix!!! (Thread Closed)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential WiFi speed/signal fix!!! (Thread Closed)

**(Update) reddragon72 has confirmed that the RK3066 uses the RK901(Broadcom based wifi chipset)**

Hey guys, (Sorry for my poor english)

I just wanted to share something interesting, and I'm hopping the modding community to test this out.

I was just surfing the web, looking for RK3066 devices and stumbled across Slatedroid's UG30GT( Tablets based on RK3066 Chipset) Forum.

Certain users claim that they found a fix that helped increase WiFi signal/speeds and provided a link:
    This 'fix' is old and is not be needed anymore since it was only used for GSM JB roms ported to CDMA TORO devices. Now that proper toro roms/sources are available, it will not 'fix' anything unless you are wanting to use an old rom. This...

Looking at the link, this fix was for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean rom that was plagued with WiFi problems, and User mwalt2 found a fix by file adding /system/etc/wifi/bcmdhd.cal.

So far its been working great, stable, excellent to good signal, constantly fast & steady speeds (!!), no random drops.. so far..
    Unless somehow its just some fluke, and my MK808 WiFi is suddenly working great.
    Need more confirmation, and this is where you come in play

Please test this "Fix" and submit your feedback below. Thanks!

-Install-
    Add bcmdhd.cal to /system/etc/wifi/ (use a root explorer)

-Set Permissions- (in Terminal)
    su
    busybox chmod 0644 /system/etc/wifi/bcmdhd.cal
    busybox chown 0.0 /system/etc/wifi/bcmdhd.cal

-Reboot-

FYI, i'm using a MK808 with Finless 1.5A Rom
    Last edited by vampirex; 11-06-2012, 05:45.
    MK808 - Ubuntu 12.10 home://io (Olegk0 3.0.8 Kernel)

This has nothing to do with wifi chipset in rk3066 based sticks, it is for broadcomm chipset. This file is never called or read, so there is no use of it, and this is for sure.

If you had some improvement in your wifi stability, I can assure you that I had same feeling from time to time. Sometimes I get no issues for hours, and then suddenly everything starts working with poor performance.

Comment

Originally posted by BooLE View Post
      This has nothing to do with wifi chipset in rk3066 based sticks, it is for broadcomm chipset. This file is never called or read, so there is no use of it, and this is for sure.

If you had some improvement in your wifi stability, I can assure you that I had same feeling from time to time. Sometimes I get no issues for hours, and then suddenly everything starts working with poor performance.
      I see, thanks for clarifying that..

Sorry guys, false alarm

Comment

AW: Potential WiFi speed/signal fix!!! (Maybe)

Originally posted by vampirex View Post
        I see, thanks for clarifying that..

Sorry guys, false alarm
        Ohhhh......but thanks for sharing and intresting to got the mk808 better!!

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

Comment

There's not much info/specs out there regarding the Rockchip RK3066's WiFi Capabilities.
          It seems some of the info is speculation or generic specs.

Been trying to find more info on the WiFi chipset, but even on the MFG website: http://www.rock-chips.com/index.php?do=prod&pid=2, no luck. Correct me if i'm wrong, is the WiFi embedded on the RK3066? or is it a seperate module?

Thanks!

I'll investigate the dmesg log, and see what it comes up as.

Im kinda speculating that maybe the WiFi is based on a Broadcom chipset.
          I could be wrong, but doing some research... doesn't hurt to look
          Last edited by vampirex; 11-05-2012, 14:39.

Comment

Yes the RK3066 chip uses a broadcom based chipset. There are two seperate chips, one without BT (RK901) and one with BT(RK903).

So essentially this fix would work since the drivers are still broadcom's base drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by reddragon72 View Post
              Yes the RK3066 chip uses a broadcom based chipset. There are two seperate chips, one without BT (RK901) and one with BT(RK903).

So essentially this fix would work since the drivers are still broadcom's base drivers.
              Awesome!! Thanks for the tip/feedback.

I will do some extensive testing when I get home tonight.

Guys!! Please test this "fix", and post your feedbacks/findings.

Comment

No problem. I really hope that people give this a try as it has been reported on several devices to fix the WIFI issues they were seeing. One thing though is most other sites are swapping the file from one device to another not just creating it. I imaging that the driver simply finds the file and populates it as it needs.

Only time will tell.

Comment

No problem. I really hope that people give this a try as it has been reported on several devices to fix the WIFI issues they were seeing. One thing though is most other sites are swapping the file from one device to another not just creating it. I imaging that the driver simply finds the file and populates it as it needs.

Only time will tell.
                  Exactly, well either way, this might inspire some people to investigate deeper.
                  And if indeed this "fix" is actually doing something, maybe we will have a permanent WiFi fix soon.

Have you tried it yet?

Comment

AW: Potential WiFi speed/signal fix!!! (Need Testers&Feedback)

ok testet about half hour!

i think its better, sometime it drops to 18mbs!

Gesendet von meinem MK808 mit Tapatalk 2

Comment

I have 5 PC's that will sometimes drop into the teens on throughput so that is no surprise there. There is a reason behind this but I wont go into it here.

Lets see what we get from a few others. I would try this but my unit hasn't shipped yet

Comment

I have 5 PC's that will sometimes drop into the teens on throughput so that is no surprise there. There is a reason behind this but I wont go into it here.

Lets see what we get from a few others. I would try this but my unit hasn't shipped yet
                        Hehe, well maybe once you receive it, you'll have a complete usuable unit. (New ROMS/FIX)

My WiFi keeps steady 65 Mbps, but frequent slowdowns/disconnections. (Prior to this Update)

Althought I did 1 test last night after updating this fix.

Did a 1Gig file test:

Before Patch:
                        Downloads : 800kbps-1000kbps average. (Interuptions/Disconnections/Slowdowns)

After Patch:
                        Downloads : 1700kbps-2200kbps average. (No Interuptions/Disconnections/Slowdowns)

Only did a few tests (Netflix,Youtube), so this is not 100% confirmation that the patch is working.. But I do like the results

Will keep testing and posting my results!

Comment

Hehe, well maybe once you receive it, you'll have a complete usuable unit. (New ROMS/FIX)

My WiFi keeps steady 65 Mbps, but frequent slowdowns/disconnections. (Prior to this Update)

Althought I did 1 test last night after updating this fix.

Did a 1Gig file test:

Before Patch:
                          Downloads : 800kbps-1000kbps average. (Interuptions/Disconnections/Slowdowns)

After Patch:
                          Downloads : 1700kbps-2200kbps average. (No Interuptions/Disconnections/Slowdowns)

Only did a few tests (Netflix,Youtube), so this is not 100% confirmation that the patch is working.. But I do like the results

Will keep testing and posting my results!
                          I did the same test, because I am following for several years xda and slatedroid so I also decided to do the test. Because I was suspicious after some rk3066 kernel source was available went and checked also rk901 and rk903 drivers, so I didn't find any linkage between them and this file.

Also my tests show that nothing radically was changed, bandwidth still drops to 1MB/s, there are some irregular reconnections, and finally I can't see anything better.

What I can say is that I was more satisfied with wifi using Finless 1.4 ROM with his patch, than with 1.5a where he didn't apply his patch.

Comment

Originally posted by BooLE View Post
                            I did the same test, because I am following for several years xda and slatedroid so I also decided to do the test. Because I was suspicious after some rk3066 kernel source was available went and checked also rk901 and rk903 drivers, so I didn't find any linkage between them and this file.

Also my tests show that nothing radically was changed, bandwidth still drops to 1MB/s, there are some irregular reconnections, and finally I can't see anything better.

What I can say is that I was more satisfied with wifi using Finless 1.4 ROM with his patch, than with 1.5a where he didn't apply his patch.
                            So you are using Finless's 1.4 ROM?
                            Correct me if i'm wrong. 1.5 is the only ROM with the WiFi Patch.
                            So essentially 1.4 and 1.5a uses the same WiFi?
                            Or did you add the patch to 1.4?

Originally posted by Finless
                            (From changelog of 1.5a)
                            This time I did NOT patch the wifi drivers like 1.5
                            Anyways, like i said, this is not 100% confirmed that its working..
                            But its interesting to know that RK901 maybe based on Broadcom chipset. (still not 100% confirmed)

Comment

So you are using Finless's 1.4 ROM?
                              Correct me if i'm wrong. 1.5 is the only ROM with the WiFi Patch.
                              So essentially 1.4 and 1.5a uses the same WiFi?
                              Or did you add the patch to 1.4?

Anyways, like i said, this is not 100% confirmed that its working..
                              But its interesting to know that RK901 maybe based on Broadcom chipset. (still not 100% confirmed)
                              Hi,

Bob applied his wifi patches to both 1.4 and 1.5 versions. Because people asked for it he deliberately left 1.5a without it.

I don't have problem with people testing it and giving their opinion, but for me this is like "holy water", noone knows if it helps, but for sure it doesn't hurt.

BooLE

Comment

Working...
                              X