Microsd as emmc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsd as emmc

As you know the cheaper boxes come with a really slow emmc and it probably causes the stutters and lags.
    It's possible to run linux from the microsd so I assume running android shouldnt be an issue.

Does any one have a 40+mbps microsd to test?
    If the device can use the full speed of the microsd it can be a cheap solution for the boxes.

Something like this should be more than enough

Even the Evo should be good as the random 4k Read\write is almost the same and it's 40+ mbps read.

I can only talk about the devices using the netxeon pcb, here the reader seems to be spec 2.0

=> http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...151#post271151

BTW: the random and also the small are more important than sequential...
    => http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...l=1#post269873
    RK3288 Devices
    - Overview BOX (LINK !)
    - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
    UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Thanks and sorry for the double post.

So if I understand correctly the reader is about as bad as the emmc, but the random reads still seem to be better than the emmc which are more important for the system's performance.

But the USB gives the best results and is much better that the emmc, is it possible to run android from usb?

Comment

I can't do these tests without running Linux at eMMC/NAND, so I can't answer if the SD is better or not...

If SD, then you should also have an eye at the randoms and also at the small blocks, so the EVO seems to be a beast...

I don't know if it's able to boot the Android from USB, but I don't think so, because at the moment the bootloader is only able to boot from SD and that's why the Linux kernel and initramFS have to be at SD but the rootFS (RFS) can be at the USB, because this is handled by the kernel/init....
        MAYBE the Andoird-kernel can also handle via init.rc to load the system and (user)data from USB (but I don't think so)...
        RK3288 Devices
        - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
        Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
        Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
        Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

It's possible to run android instead of linux from sd and run a benchmark app to compare random read\write with the emmc, and also see if there are less\any microsttuters

Can you test that with the evo please? I only have an old class 10 microsd at the moment.

Comment

No, sorry...
            Because I have to build up my Linux system and I use the EVO for it...
            Anyway e.g. A1 SD Bench you have to know, that these kind of performance tests at Android, because you get no direct access to the SD/eMMC (no way to use iozone at Android), are not really helpful, it's at best case an indicator, because Android buffers a lot ...
            RK3288 Devices
            - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Thats cool, Ill order one and try

Comment

Originally posted by vkk View Post
                As you know the cheaper boxes come with a really slow emmc and it probably causes the stutters and lags.
                It's possible to run linux from the microsd so I assume running android shouldnt be an issue.

Does any one have a 40+mbps microsd to test?
                If the device can use the full speed of the microsd it can be a cheap solution for the boxes.

Something like this should be more than enough

Even the Evo should be good as the random 4k Read\write is almost the same and it's 40+ mbps read.
                http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVPU5BK/..._t1_B00IVPU6AA
                Try this:

Download image:

Btw the stutters and lags aren't from cheap nand, I've got UboxR89 and with Open Hour Chameleon rom I don't have stutters and lags. If you use flymouse connect to the OTG port (microusb), the other usb ports cause lags.

Comment

Originally posted by lingam View Post
                  Try this:

Download image:

Btw the stutters and lags aren't from cheap nand, I've got UboxR89 and with Open Hour Chameleon rom I don't have stutters and lags. If you use flymouse connect to the OTG port (microusb), the other usb ports cause lags.
                  Yeah after installing waser 2.0.4a the stutters are gone.
                  I already ordered the card so I'll still test it and check if there's a performance improvement.
                  Thanks for the link, I didnt know you can use the windows tool. I'll give chameleon a test ride as well.

Comment

With cameleon it boots to recovery and says wrong pcb version

Comment

I think you can't use the OH Chameleon without replacing the kernel and resource (maybe also the boot)... if you use a device with netxeon pcb you should try this version http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...-for-R28-combo
                      RK3288 Devices
                      - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Working...
                      X