[Pipo X7] OS - Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim_D View Post
    I've been able to succesfully install Ubuntu, but never got it to boot from the internal EFI. I can get it to boot from the USB EFI, when just copying the Ubuntu section from the grub.cfg from the Ubuntu install to my USB... On the internal EFI, GRUB boots properly, but it just refuses to boot Ubuntu, it freezes when trying to boot, without any error messages to go on... I tried the grub-efi-ia32 package as well as a copy of the bootia32.efi used on my USB stick (which works when loaded from USB), but both of them had the same problem, it just freezes. If anyone has a clue, or wants to know how I got this far, let me know. Linuxium's guide for the MeegoPad is a great start of course.

I haven't been playing with any drivers (e.g. sound) yet, because I first wanted to make it boot properly, without needing a USB stick.
    Try this, same principle.

To Infinity and Beyond.... XBMC

Comment

Fedlet boots on my X7 https://www.happyassassin.net/fedlet...trail-tablets/

I dd-ed the ISO to a USB Flash drive on my Mac, booted with F7, selected my Flash drive as my boot device, and it booted.

Haven't had time to play very much - and no sound devices appeared to be installed - and whilst it recognised the cabled network adaptor (which is a USB device I believe according to Windows?) I didn't get an IP address. However I'm in a new location at the moment (long story) so may need to reboot routers etc.

Encouraging though.

Comment

The Ubuntu Mate LiveCD in the Meegopad section also boots (I had to create the live stick using Rufus in Windows) - albeit with a splash screen error you have to accept.

This let me install Kodi Helix (it has XBMC Gotham installed already) - and I get incredibly low reported CPU levels when playing 720/50p with VAAPI decoding, however I only get 30fps on a first attempt... Wifi works, but no wired ethernet.

***EDIT - however the filing system isn't persistent - so nothing lasts past a reboot... ***

Comment

Maybe 'LinuxLive USB Creator 2.9.1' ?
          http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/other-versions (Portable)
          and try to use http://www.linuxliveusb.com/help/guide/step3
          RK3288 Devices
          - Overview BOX (LINK !)
          - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
          UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
          Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
          Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
          Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by noggin View Post
            Or if a couple of us here fancied sharing the purchase to get one to linuxium
            Originally posted by doublea View Post
            If you're able to post a Donate link, I'm in for $10 and I'm sure another 10 users would be up to doing the same to get you a box.
            Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
            That's right, Linuxium....If you post your Paypal link...I'll spot you $10 or so. We really need to get you one of these boxes.
            Originally posted by noggin View Post
            Me too.
            I don't know if it is already fixed by e.g. Gearbest or Geekbuying, but here you will find the Donation link
            Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

but I think you should write him, why and for what you donate
            RK3288 Devices
            - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
            Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
            Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
            Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

I've managed to get Ubuntu 14.04.1 booting from an external USB stick (though my total inexperience with GRUB etc. means that the booting requires a second USB stick)

With no additional drivers I've got cabled Ethernet running fine, but I'm using an external sound card. Kodi works FAR better under Linux than under Windows for video playback.

Files that were skipping and dropping like mad in Windows are smooth as silk under Ubuntu - with no additional cooling required, though dmesg does report thermal throttling.

I've started another thread about it.

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
                I don't know if it is already fixed by e.g. Gearbest or Geekbuying, but here you will find the Donation link
                Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

but I think you should write him, why and for what you donate
                Holiday time down under at the moment and I've only just got back to my PC! Thanks for the kind offers of donations to purchase a Pipo X7. From just reading all the Pipo X7 threads it looks like availability of the device is an issue at the moment and that the earlier licensing of Windows 8.1 with Bing maybe under threat (see http://www.minixforum.com/threads/wh...00/#post-33794). I'm thinking it maybe prudent to wait a bit to see whether the Pipo X7 has a future.

Comment

So you believe the propaganda of Minix??
                  They told more things in the past which were not true..

Comment

MLC vs. TLC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-level_cell

PiPo use the Samsung KLMBG4GEAC-B001 (http://www.minimachines.net/a-la-une...low-cost-25383)

=> https://memorylink.samsung.com/ecomo...SetLabel=e-MMC
                    ==> Class: eMMC Pro Class2000 eMMC Version: eMMC 4.5

BG = 32GByte
                    4 = NAND4 + Microcontroller
                    G = ??? (so maybe TLC ???)
                    E = Vcc=2.5V to 3.6V, Vccq=1.65V to 1.95V, or 2.5V to 3.6V, dual mode
                    A = S3C49RAA01
                    C = ???

If I look at the Samsung TLC pdf, then I found KLMBG4GEAC http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...Final_HR-0.pdf

But I don't know which chip MINIX use at there pcb...
                    RK3288 Devices
                    - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

With end user like me, I don't care aboutWindows Licensing. I have Minix X5 and X8 but very weak WiFi although they are near the router

Comment

Working...
                      X