X7 Extreme Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X7 Extreme Test

Been running an extreme test on the X7 to find its tipping point when running Kodi. The results were great. I am running Kodi RC 14.1 with Genesis and linked to my NAS via SMB. I ran Avatar BD over and over for several hours (never want to see that movie again). Temperatures on all 4 cores never exceeded 72c, CPU loading average was 40%. Avatar passes about 32 MBs for most of the movie. It was smooth during multiple chapter changes both forward and backwards. The frame rate remained solid at 23.98 both full screen and when I windowed it and did some surfing and downloads.

Streaming via Genesis, at various frame rates was good, sound stayed in sync. Temperature was in the 60's.

I have officially retired my MX III in the bedroom, even got a rare compliment from my wife that I didn't waste money this time...

I do believe there is a need to augment the cooling at the CPU will, as according to spec will throttle at 90c and I want a bigger buffer. My i5 4ghz overclocked HTPC in my livingroom never gets above 40c.

I'm gonna try to fabricate a cooling solution without drilling big holes in the case. I purchased another unit to be my "mule". Can anyone actually confirm that the silicon is exposed... As soon as I get my new unit, I'll be looking for input to what I try to fabricate.

Rob

Originally posted by robmich View Post
    Been running an extreme test on the X7 to find its tipping point when running Kodi. The results were great. I am running Kodi RC 14.1 with Genesis and linked to my NAS via SMB. I ran Avatar BD over and over for several hours (never want to see that movie again). Temperatures on all 4 cores never exceeded 72c, CPU loading average was 40%. Avatar passes about 32 MBs for most of the movie. It was smooth during multiple chapter changes both forward and backwards. The frame rate remained solid at 23.98 both full screen and when I windowed it and did some surfing and downloads.

Streaming via Genesis, at various frame rates was good, sound stayed in sync. Temperature was in the 60's.

I have officially retired my MX III in the bedroom, even got a rare compliment from my wife that I didn't waste money this time...

I do believe there is a need to augment the cooling at the CPU will, as according to spec will throttle at 90c and I want a bigger buffer. My i5 4ghz overclocked HTPC in my livingroom never gets above 40c.

I'm gonna try to fabricate a cooling solution without drilling big holes in the case. I purchased another unit to be my "mule". Can anyone actually confirm that the silicon is exposed... As soon as I get my new unit, I'll be looking for input to what I try to fabricate.

Rob
    Hi just a quick question when you got 23.98 output was that with sync to display turned on? Did you then press 'o' and have 23.98 next to S.

Comment

Rob
      Was that playing an un-recompressed Avatar BD image, or streaming from a plugin?

Comment

I too am extremely intrested in the BD

Comment

Originally posted by goujam View Post
          Hi just a quick question when you got 23.98 output was that with sync to display turned on? Did you then press 'o' and have 23.98 next to S.
          On my high end Samsung that supports most display rates, The "S" line shows 23.98. On my less powerful Vizio in my bedroom, it shows 24.00 with a +.1 next to it.

Rob

Comment

On my high end Samsung that supports most display rates, The "S" line shows 23.98. On my less powerful Vizio in my bedroom, it shows 24.00 with a +.1 next to it.

Rob
            Thanks for the feedback rob it looks like mine isn't getting the correct information from my amp to playback 23.976 stuff then. I'll have to see if I can modify the edid information

Comment

Originally posted by noggin View Post
              Was that playing an un-recompressed Avatar BD image, or streaming from a plugin?
              @robmich Can you please also answer this question?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by noggin View Post
                Uncompressed BD rip from my NAS. Additionally, I have now tested .iso's, .mkv's .mp4's and native DVD rips.

CPU loading between 20-40%
                CPU temperature - averages 70c after 2 hours on use. Idles at 48-52
                "Z" reports 23.98 on files with that display rate
                I have the X7 set to 24hz

Streaming via Genesis

Slightly lower CPU temps
                correct frame rates
                no drops or skips to speak of

Got 2 MX III android boxes for sale.... any takers LOL

Rob

Comment

MKV's... which resolution, which bit-rate?
                  But I think, if I'm not wrong, uncompressed BD rip would have the highest bit-rate, but I don't know what the codec is compared to the MKV's?
                  RK3288 Devices
                  - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                  - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                  UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                  Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                  Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                  Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

hello . is there any chance to test one of those thing
                    - is Firefox with extensions (eg. Adblock) works fine on Pipo x7
                    - Does Adobe flash work on it (eg. website earthcam.com, or draculastream)
                    - how much free disc space has pipo x7
                    - can you turn on program portableapps from usb on pipo x7
                    - is youtube can play 1080p
                    thanks for the answer
                    Last edited by mackoofpl; 01-25-2015, 19:48.

Comment

Guys, is it ok for you if I open a new thread "Heatsink modding" and move your posts to this thread?
                      RK3288 Devices
                      - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                      Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                      Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                      Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

no problem

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
                        Guys, is it ok for you if I open a new thread "Heatsink modding" and move your posts to this thread?
                        no problem, sounds good

Comment

Done...
                          => http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...atsink-modding
                          RK3288 Devices
                          - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Working...
                          X