Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MINIX X7mini KitKat 4.4.2 CE ( Community Edition 2.2.0 )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MINIX X7mini KitKat 4.4.2 CE ( Community Edition 2.2.0 )

MINIX Forum "Community Edition" Kitkat 4.4.2 for X7mini

OTA;
    For this release there will be NO OTA to update from Jellybean or another Kitkat firmware to this version, sorry guys..
    It is technicaly imposible to do.
    We will provide OTA updates from this version upwards.

Flashable Image:
    This firmware will be provided as flashable firmware.
    You NEED to flash it with the usb flashtool provided in the download link.

The future of CE;
    This will probably the first and last "Community edition" for X7mini and next releases will become "Official MINIX" releases. This meens it will have the MINIX logo's etc but still our team will be working on it. An OTA update will be provided when an new release is available.

Changelog (2.2.0);
    - Huge HLS revision
    - Camera brightness/saturation fix
    - TCP buffer adjusted
    - Network fixes
    - Powermenu, removed power off.
    - HDMI changes
    Other;
    - Finisched X7mini branche ( currently available: X7,X7mini)
    - Preporations for X5 serie branches for future builds
    - rk3066 random mac fix

Changelog (2.1.0)

- sleep suspend fixed( wakeup from USB Remotes / IR remote / Powerbutton )
    - fully renewed audio bitstream system + audio input fix ( show usb audio input devices )
    - Screen settings all on one page
    - aditional VPN/networking config ( IPIP,L2TP,PPP )
    - removed PIN for VPN settings
    - VPN wifi hotspot fix
    - Removed google searchbar from desktop
    - long press menukey to hide/unhide systembar
    - update drivers for future X5 branch
    - recovery show UI + Null pointer fix
    - USB storrage announcements framework renewed
    - wifidisplay / miracast HDCP key integration ( not functional yet )
    - libffmpeg and RKffplayer updated to version 8-12
    - fixed RKexplore app
    - fixed WifiDisplay app
    - Small HLS fix ( not much yet )
    - Updated Gapps ( Google Apps )
    - Google sync issues fixed
    - New kernel logo / bootanimation ( add KAR )
    - a few others

Old Changelog (2.0.0);
    - recovery/OTA fix
    - static ip bug fix
    - video player/hls fixes
    - security vulnarability fixes
    - init.d support
    - camera brightness fix
    - freeze after uninstall app fix
    - HDMI patch for DRM apps
    - DDR optimalisation ( not overclock )
    - Multi user support ( not fully working yet )
    - Dual input devices frees/crash fix.
    - new kernel logo
    - etc.

Download link:

(Flashtool, Driver assistant and firmware.img included.)

WARNING!! WARNING!! WARNING!! NOT EASY TO GO BACK TO 4.2!!
    (You need to use RK flashtool, do not try to flash it like an OTA update.zip !)

Available Updates:
    Kitkat CE - root update
    Kitkat CE - unroot update

To install the available updates (this is not for the Firmware!) rename the downloaded file to update.zip and place at the internal flash drive root or USB stick root, android will find the update and request you to install.

From the MINIX Forum Developers Team;
    @gufone
    @KAR
    @HardwareGuru

Can I use "Upgrade" in flashtool and keep settings?
    Or do I have to use "Restore" ?

-Exlo

Comment

Installed and very happy

Flashed this today with http://crewrktablets.arctablet.com/?wpfb_dl=2007 Linux_upgrade_tool_v1.21.

The flash process completed first time without errors - existing firmware was wasser 1.04.

Tested the bundled XBMC playing multiple movies over SMB with an ethernet connection, and it worked very nicely indeed.

The rom seems fast, even compared to wasser 1.0.4.

Would still love to see a public repo for this at some point, but I have no idea if the licensing and ownership of the code is appropriate for public access.

Comment

This ROM is for X7 mini only, correct ? Do you plan to release ROM for X7 ?

Comment

Originally posted by thingonaspring View Post
          Flashed this today with http://crewrktablets.arctablet.com/?wpfb_dl=2007 Linux_upgrade_tool_v1.21.

The flash process completed first time without errors - existing firmware was wasser 1.04.

Tested the bundled XBMC playing multiple movies over SMB with an ethernet connection, and it worked very nicely indeed.

The rom seems fast, even compared to wasser 1.0.4.

Would still love to see a public repo for this at some point, but I have no idea if the licensing and ownership of the code is appropriate for public access.
          A public repo will not happen, sorry.

Originally posted by ivbsd1 View Post
          This ROM is for X7 mini only, correct ? Do you plan to release ROM for X7 ?
          It has been released allready here;

We are currently preparing the Official MINIX Kitkat release for X7 (CE 2.2.0 for X7 will be the official release)

Comment

Could people test if the HLS streaming apps work that did not work on other firmwares please?
            Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by HardwareGuru View Post

It has been released allready here;

We are currently preparing the Official MINIX Kitkat release for X7 (CE 2.2.0 for X7 will be the official release)
              Thanks. As I understand, what was released for X7 is 2.1.0 and not 2.2.0 and does not contain last fixes.

Waiting for official CE 2.2.2 release for X7.

Thanks for excellent job !

Comment

No need to apologise, I already owe you guys a load for making and releasing this.

I'll get my fun by modding at the apk/jar level instead.

Comment

Thank you very much for this release. Just installed and configured it, works very fast and good.
                  Just one thing is happening very frequently and I have no clue what it is:

My screen flickers randomly, most of the time it's just a short blackout - not a second but there are black screens up to 3 seconds. And it doesn't matter which app I'm using.

The strange thing is that if I change HDMI Mode to 1080p@24Hz the flickers disappear. But the UI is not smooth anymore...

I already changed my HDMI cable. And this also happened on wasser 1.0.4 but not on your previous 4.2 build (HWGuru 5.0).

Any clue?

Comment

Does this build support DTS passthrough via HDMI?

If it does I'm not having any success getting it to work. Tried the included XBMC and also Kodi 14.1 “Helix” development build, which includes audio settings for 7.1 channel and passthrough, and I experimented with all three KitKat audio settings. The only "passthrough" setting is for SPDIF and that results in no audio through HDMI. The HDMI bitstream setting results in only PCM 2.0 channel to my receiver.

Advice please.

Comment

Originally posted by pennhaven View Post

If it does I'm not having any success getting it to work. Tried the included XBMC and also Kodi 14.1 “Helix” development build, which includes audio settings for 7.1 channel and passthrough, and I experimented with all three KitKat audio settings. The only "passthrough" setting is for SPDIF and that results in no audio through HDMI. The HDMI bitstream setting results in only PCM 2.0 channel to my receiver.

Advice please.
                      HDMI bitstream shoud do HDMI passthrough (7.1ch is not supported in rk)3188

Comment

Originally posted by buesche View Post
                        Thank you very much for this release. Just installed and configured it, works very fast and good.
                        Just one thing is happening very frequently and I have no clue what it is:

My screen flickers randomly, most of the time it's just a short blackout - not a second but there are black screens up to 3 seconds. And it doesn't matter which app I'm using.

The strange thing is that if I change HDMI Mode to 1080p@24Hz the flickers disappear. But the UI is not smooth anymore...

I already changed my HDMI cable. And this also happened on wasser 1.0.4 but not on your previous 4.2 build (HWGuru 5.0).

Any clue?
                        It's something that happens for some of us and doesn't for others.
                        Unfortunately I got it too, guys from QS3 ROM released a special kernel that completely fixes this, so I'm on QS3.1, with zero flickering... Don't bother playing with cables & such, it won't help, believe me, I've been there, did that, with a lot of cables Let's just hope it will be fixed by CE ROM team one day

Comment

Could people test if the HLS streaming apps work that did not work on other firmwares please?
                          Thanks!
                          Just upgraded to your ROM today. I have tried it with Hulu Plus with no luck. Stuck on black screen although I can hear audio. Had to reboot the machine. I think that's the only HLS streaming app I use. Netflix works fine (not sure if that uses HLS). Also, I stream NFL Gamepass but I'm having problem with their latest update as the video shows without color. Had this problem with Quickshot rom as well so I suspect its the app. Anyways, for NFL Gamepass, I can access it via XMBC...

Comment

Originally posted by pennhaven

HDMI bitstream shoud do HDMI passthrough (7.1ch is not supported in rk)3188
                            http://www.minixforum.com/threads/x7...e-2#post-34154
                            Thanks. I was finally able to get DTS working with the bundled version of XBMC. I forgot that I needed Expert audio settings in XBMC to set up for DTS receiver. While DTS is mostly working now I am experiencing some periodic audio dropouts with it, so I guess some tweaking of XBMC is still in order.

I was not able to get DTS to work with the Kodi 14.1 “Helix” development build. Tried changing the 7.1 channel audio setting to 2.0 as in the Community Edition XBMC configuration, but no joy. So suspect that version of Kodi is not set up properly for RK3188.

Comment

Also I wasn't able to install the root update via the USB port. Update failed and booted into recovery. But when I copied that update.zip from the USB flash drive to an SD card in the SD slot, via the MiniX, the same update.zip loaded properly from the SD slot and rooted the box. So the file was readable from the USB drive but wouldn't execute properly from there for some reason.

[Edit]CORRECTED I only tried from the rear-most USB port, NOT the one used for flashing firmware, maybe that is the issue.[/Edit]
                              Last edited by pennhaven; 01-27-2015, 20:40.

Comment

Working...
                              X