Is the MK-808B-Plus worth considering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As the title says I am wondering about the MK-808B-Plus. I have seen mixed reviews and was wondering if anybody here has experience with them yet. I have seen quite a few reports that they get really hot, is that a thing with the AMLogic SOC? Or just a few bad apples floating around? My MK-808 gets barely warm even after many hours of streaming video. I also saw that the Antutu score is slightly better than the CX-919 in some cases. Does that really mean anything though? I'm guessing that we would still want the 2GB of RAM instead of 1GB. The video review I saw showed a funky launcher built into the firmware on the Plus model. Maybe this is silly but my daughter and I both prefer to have a barebones android ROM and customize it our own way. Can we uninstall that launcher or is it really just a modified version of Android that we would either be stuck with or have to flash a custom ROM? I'm sure a lot of people would rather have a more polished and refined launcher to give it a quality look, but it's just not my thing.

Got a few of these have had no issues with heat or anything else, plus you can use any launcher and set it as default. Also Finless has 2 roms out for it that are easy to flash and clean of bloat.
    Team UX
    http://www.ultimatexbmc.com/

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...-ULTIMATE-XBMC

Comment

Well...

As for the SOC:
      I would compare it with the RK3188T (!) Chip. Compared to that it has ~20% less power (18000 Antutus vs. 20000+) and uses only ARM A5 (A7 = RK3188T). Temperature vise both can get pretty hot but the Amlogic 805 is by far hotter in most of the cases when its used full load.

On the plus side it has h265, Mali 450 (RK3188T has Mali 400) and is ~40-50 % Cheaper than the Rockchip 3188T devices.

The Device itself gets hot yes, might be a problem if the stick is on and behind your tv on hot summer days...but so far its ok.

The Wifi Signal is also kinda weak so if your Wifi Router/Modem is far from your TV/Stick its a bad choice.

On the Plus side:
      AMlogic has better Support/SDKs than Rockchip....you allready got CM11 and CM12 (Lolipop !) thanks to ChristianTroy and the other Mod Developers here.

So overall it has its pro and cons but for THAT Price its awesome and has no rival. If you spend more you get more...but do you need more ?

If you just want to enjoy XBMC ect. and your Wifi is strong near your tv then get this little thing.

If you want Gaming get a RK3288 Device...if you have low Wifi Quality get a device with a antenna ect.

Comment

+1 MK808B +
        Prahjister ****MK808(nonB)****MK808B V5****MK808B Plus****UBOX R89**** CX919****MK808B Pro****Nexbox N9****Eny Em95****Matricon Q2****Tanix TX5 Pro****

Comment

Is anyone successfully using the MK808b plus with any hardware keyboard?

Originally posted by prahjister View Post
          +1 MK808B +
          Sorry for the cross post, but I think this is a better place for my question.

Is anyone successfully using the MK808b plus with the Msft Ergonomic Natural 4000 keyboard in particular?

I found and turned on the hardware keyboard switch. Which has no effect.

In the ROM I found a list of keyboards designated with names like
          VendorxxxxProductxxxx.kl I even created a new one for the
          msft keyboard Vendor_045e_Product_00db.kl But it still doesn't work.
          The keyboard works fine with at least three other android devices and with i686 computers.

Is it a hardware or software problem?

TJ

Comment

ARM A5

Originally posted by bloodgnome View Post
            Well...

As for the SOC:
            I would compare it with the RK3188T (!) Chip. Compared to that it has ~20% less power (18000 Antutus vs. 20000+) and uses only ARM A5 (A7 = RK3188T).
            Thanks for that! I have not seen that anywhere and have been trying to do things with armhf binaries. Ooops. The SOC has plenty of power for my needs if I could only get it to work with linux or with a keyboard! Knowing that it is A5 I will try a vanilla Debian or Arch install.

TJ

Comment

Originally posted by iparaglide View Post
              Sorry for the cross post, but I think this is a better place for my question.

Is anyone successfully using the MK808b plus with the Msft Ergonomic Natural 4000 keyboard in particular?

I found and turned on the hardware keyboard switch. Which has no effect.

In the ROM I found a list of keyboards designated with names like
              VendorxxxxProductxxxx.kl I even created a new one for the
              msft keyboard Vendor_045e_Product_00db.kl But it still doesn't work.
              The keyboard works fine with at least three other android devices and with i686 computers.

Is it a hardware or software problem?

TJ
              Can you pastebin a logcat with it plugged in at boot, then disconnect after android is fully booted and then reconnect?

Only after you've donated to Finless and Neomode are you allowed to donate here.

Comment

adb logcat vs logcat to file on the stick

Originally posted by noderat View Post
                Can you pastebin a logcat with it plugged in at boot, then disconnect after android is fully booted and then reconnect?
                I found logcat, but am having trouble getting adb to work. It worked once before, so I might get it working again.

Is there a way to get the logcat output without adb? Can I just set something and have it kept?

Thanks, TJ

p.s. I am suspecting that it is confusing the usb id of the microsoft keyboard with a ps3. I renamed the ps3 module, but still didn't get the keyboard recognized.

Comment

Working...
                X