Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So confused - Which ROM works for NX008HI8G ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So confused - Which ROM works for NX008HI8G ?

I am new, both to the forum and to Android, although I have some background in Linux and Windows.

I was given a Nextbook (NX008HI8G) yesterday, but the Android version is quite old, 4.1.1, so I was hoping to upgrade this.

Which ROM will work for this model? I see a lot of other model names floating around, but not the one I have. Also, is there a way of 'upgrading' to KitKat that will work for this model?

TIA
    Last edited by scibirg; 02-09-2015, 20:45.

Is Next8HI8G the same as NX008HI8G? If yes, I found the tread with TWRP recovery. So TWRP will enable me to back up my tablet.

Now, which ROM can i use to at least get it up to Android 4.2? Is that even possible? There are a few apps that will not work for me with less than 4.2 (mainly payment apps like Paypal Here etc.)
    Last edited by scibirg; 02-09-2015, 21:20. Reason: Reading and learning

Comment

Still learning...

So, the model number for the board seems to be nxm909np
      I have googled this as well as Next8hi8g and nx008hi8g without finding any kind of ROM available whatsoever. Frustration is definitely setting in.

Any help would be much appreciated.

And yes, if a tester is needed for this model, count me in. I may be new to this, but I learn pretty fast.
      Last edited by scibirg; 02-09-2015, 22:33.

Comment

Since I like talking to myself, I will continue unless someone else want to jump in...

I was able to install TWRP and backup all my data to my SD card. Of course, as soon as I did that, half my apps decided to update, so I had to make another backup.

I am currently looking for a simple and safe way to root my tablet and then I will try to install Xposed framework on it. If that goes well, I will install a few modules like GravityBox, XPrivacy and either DeepSleep Battery Saver OR Greenify. Will have to read up a little on that if I get that far.

I would love to improve the battery life and install a few apps and maybe even *gasp* games.

Comment

Was able to sideload Instagram but it won't open, says it is not compatible. Grr... I am not a big Instagram user, but my parents who live half a planet away, have decided that they are too cool for Facebook. So to keep in touch with them I need to be on Instagram. Any ideas?

Still looking for a way to root this thing. Also, I need to look into moving the Android folder to my SD card. My internal storage is already full.

Please help.

Comment

Just saw your thread today. I see you found TWRP on your own.

You can probably root that with Kingo Root.

If you're lucky, you might get a slightly modified edition of the stock ROM version for that model at some point, but you are very unlikely to ever see any Android updates for it. Nextbook never provided any official udpates. I was working on compiling Cyanogenmod for some of these Amlogic based Nextbooks at one time, but never got a stable version ready to release for any model. I've since mostly moved on to newer hardware...

ShaunMT
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
              Just saw your thread today. I see you found TWRP on your own.

You can probably root that with Kingo Root.

If you're lucky, you might get a slightly modified edition of the stock ROM version for that model at some point, but you are very unlikely to ever see any Android updates for it. Nextbook never provided any official udpates. I was working on compiling Cyanogenmod for some of these Amlogic based Nextbooks at one time, but never got a stable version ready to release for any model. I've since mostly moved on to newer hardware...

ShaunMT
              Thanks for answering! It was getting old talking to myself. Kingo Root, what is that, where do I find it and are there several different versions to choose from? Very worried about accidentally bricking it.

ETA: Ok, found it and it looks pretty straightforward. I will wait until tomorrow to try it, since I need the thing tonight and don't want to risk any problems.

My friend who gave me this thing gave up after a week and bought a GalaxyTab instead. Won't he be surprised when I can actually use the thing!

Comment

Woohoo!!!! I've got root!!!

Now, if I could only get a ROM that would take me from 4.1 to 4.2 or even 4.4
                Last edited by scibirg; 02-11-2015, 20:19.

Comment

Working...
                X