Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best 4K Capable Android Mini PC

Hey guys,

I have a JVC 65" 4K TV on the way and unfortunately it doesn't have any of the smart TV apps so I'm looking for a box that I can hopefully stream some 4K (YouTube or Ultraflix) video from as well as watch anything made by my 4K cameras. So far it looks like the Amlogic S812 devices do a pretty great job with almost any video, but I'm interested in which device has the greatest 3rd party dev support, performance and features.

Also, does anyone know of a way to get the Android Netflix or Amazon Prime Video apps to stream 4K? I'm guessing it's going to take Netflix or Amazon themselves to add the functionality, but I'm just wondering.

Thanks!

This 4K stuff really bothers me. Is it really 4K what they are broadcasting? My wife is a cinematographer working strictly with 4K and it takes over 1Gib for every 1 min of video. Also we have found no compression which maintains the original quality of the video. So more problems other than the mini PC may need to be looked into if your really serious.

Comment

Originally posted by cappybob View Post
      This 4K stuff really bothers me. Is it really 4K what they are broadcasting? My wife is a cinematographer working strictly with 4K and it takes over 1Gib for every 1 min of video. Also we have found no compression which maintains the original quality of the video. So more problems other than the mini PC may need to be looked into if your really serious.
      Why does higher resolution bother you? Were you upset when 720 and 1080 resolutions came out?

Or does it bother you because you just bought a 1080p TV and figured it'd never get outdated?

H.265 compression does a pretty great job with any content, especially 4K and is only getting better. I know the S812 devices can handle HEVC decompression just fine, but am wondering if any of the Rockchip or Allwinner devices might not be better.

Comment

Misunderstood, actual 4K is over 1G per min. a 1/2 hour movie would be 32G and take hours to download if not a full day for some. I have no idea what they are calling 4K, but download time of an actual 4K would be restrictive for many.

Comment

Originally posted by cappybob View Post
          Misunderstood, actual 4K is over 1G per min. a 1/2 hour movie would be 32G and take hours to download if not a full day for some. I have no idea what they are calling 4K, but download time of an actual 4K would be restrictive for many.
          Maybe in raw, uncompressed form it's a gig per minute, but compressed with H.265 it's nowhere near that big. It'd be nice if someone could reply about the original subject, but I have a feeling I'll be charting new territory here.

Comment

Working...
          X