Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[X8-H] Lost Root - How to re-root?

Hi folks, Finless,

I've posted this question on the Minix forum, but unfortunately no one there has the knowledge it seems, but i only need some simple instructions.

What is the proper way to re-root?

I've upgraded the firmware from 002a to 12/24 (002b?) via FOTA and then to final 003 (also via FOTA) while having root, and all went well.

Box is working perfectly fine on the last firmware (003fw dated 20150205 + latest slow-motion hotfix via FOTA, dated 20150207).

When I check if rooted, the app root checker still says the box is rooted, and busybox is also properly installed, but none of the apps that need root work (like titanium backup, foldermount or set-cpu).

I've tried to re-root with Gufone's root app, which installs without problems whatsoever, but when I boot to android the superuser app says the binary needs to be updated, but fails to update/install it somehow.

What do I need to do to get root back the proper way?

Thanks!

p.s. I forgot to mention, due the simplicity of the superuser app I installed SuperSU in order to have more control, (before upgrading from 002 to 003fw) but i don't think this makes much difference what superuser app is currently installed on my box as there is no binary anyway
    Last edited by Tengujin; 02-17-2015, 14:53.

Have you tried reflashing the root zip? On this post you can read how to do it as well as get the flashables: http://www.minixforum.com/threads/pa...-pc-needed.95/

Those flashables are supposed to work for the x8-h as well as the x8-h plus, although I have yet to try any of those.

Comment

Originally posted by rpgmaker View Post
      Have you tried reflashing the root zip? On this post you can read how to do it as well as get the flashables: http://www.minixforum.com/threads/pa...-pc-needed.95/

Those flashables are supposed to work for the x8-h as well as the x8-h plus, although I have yet to try any of those.
      Hi and thanks for the suggestion, but as I wrote in my opening post i tried this already.
      Maybe I used the wrong wording, but of course I meant that I used Gufone's root zip (i wrote app)

Again, flashing the zip works without any problems, the root checker app shows i have root, a su binary is present in system/xbin/ and shows busybox is also properly installed.

But what i think the problem is, is that the su binary is probably outdated or not compatible with the 003 firmware (bootloader or stock recovery issues maybe? i don't know)
      As soon as i open the superuser app (that is installed with the zip) it wants to update the su binary and fails (unable to update toast message appears).
      SuperSU app also cannot install a new binary, but it could without any problems on the 002 fw.

According to root checker i have root, but all apps that depend on root notify that i don't have root and don't work, so I'm a bit lost here lol

Regards

Comment

Not sure what could be the problem there then. I will probably install stock 003 today (or tomorrow) to verify a few things. I will use the finless stock 003 flashable so everything will be back to stock, including recovery. I will flash the gufone root zip and let you know if I find the same issues as you.

Comment

I installed the stock 003 and flashed gufone's root and other than titanium backup warning me that I should use SuperSU instead of that one everything has worked fine.

Comment

Working...
          X