Android TV boxes and GMS license

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been researching for some time the actual legality of these boxes. And as I don't really care if there legal or not for my personal use I am looking to start offering these in my business. I have tried contacting manufactures and even Google directly with no direct answers on these. From what I know it seems as if to have the play store preloaded you are supposed to have a GMS license which I am assuming the Chinese made boxes do not have. I do see Minux has a location in the US so do they have a GMS license? Any info or direction would be great. Thanks for your time.

The only GMS Android devices are the Wetek, Geniatech and Razor Forge boxes.
    Minix is not on the Google certified list.

Comment

Does this mean the other boxes without the license are in fact illegal? I would like to order in a large shipment of these but if I'm getting myself into trouble it's not worth it. Is there a way to get licensed..

Comment

Originally posted by ekohnke View Post
        Does this mean the other boxes without the license are in fact illegal? I would like to order in a large shipment of these but if I'm getting myself into trouble it's not worth it. Is there a way to get licensed..
        I don't think this is the best place to come for legal advice but there may be an attorney that is a member here and can offer a meaningful opinion. I am not an attorney but I believe these boxes are legal to own in the US although clearly not every possible use is a legal use. The lack of licensing, DRM handling and lacking other necessary approval does limit the usefullness of the devices, none are worth using for any of the mainstream subscription streaming services, at least in my opinion, for one example.

If you are thinking about getting into reselling these unapproved Android mini PCs in a big way, an attorney is surely a good idea. With the slim margins associated with selling these boxes, that is probably not a viable option for small scale retail business and you will have to make the choice yourself. Selling with full disclosure of the limitations is a good idea, someone expecting a device certified like Roku or Amazon Fire TV will be very frustrated with one of these boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisG8 View Post
          I don't think this is the best place to come for legal advice but there may be an attorney that is a member here and can offer a meaningful opinion. I am not an attorney but I believe these boxes are legal to own in the US although clearly not every possible use is a legal use. The lack of licensing, DRM handling and lacking other necessary approval does limit the usefullness of the devices, none are worth using for any of the mainstream subscription streaming services, at least in my opinion, for one example.

If you are thinking about getting into reselling these unapproved Android mini PCs in a big way, an attorney is surely a good idea. With the slim margins associated with selling these boxes, that is probably not a viable option for small scale retail business and you will have to make the choice yourself. Selling with full disclosure of the limitations is a good idea, someone expecting a device certified like Roku or Amazon Fire TV will be very frustrated with one of these boxes.
          A sound and reasoned answer, all the way around.

Comment

I agree with the statement made, also ensure that you comply to our country communications act or simmilair, some countries require stringent tests on hardware to ensure the device is approved. I know in my country if approval is not obtained, hefty fines are imposed.
            Hope this helps.

Comment

Re sellers pushing free tv will the first ones hit. If your just re selling a tv box no issue. Selling copyright material or pirate material you can't claim later you where not aware. you changed and installed software to super vent paying customers. They have already started to process these kinda of sales in our country. Canada and us are already taking steps to charge sellers and end users. Still grey area but because cable companies taking billions in lost revenue. Look at the sports feeds in UK and Spain. It will happen at some point to think it won't is foolish to much money at stake.
              Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter2014 View Post
                Re sellers pushing free tv will the first ones hit. If your just re selling a tv box no issue. Selling copyright material or pirate material you can't claim later you where not aware. you changed and installed software to super vent paying customers. They have already started to process these kinda of sales in our country. Canada and us are already taking steps to charge sellers and end users. Still grey area but because cable companies taking billions in lost revenue. Look at the sports feeds in UK and Spain. It will happen at some point to think it won't is foolish to much money at stake.

I am assuming your talking about Xbmc and the like. This is something we have discussed a lot I don't plan on actually offering XBMC on this device. If someone wants to install it on there own they may but I don't think I will have it preinstalled. There's alot of other purposes for these devices.

Comment

Working...
                X