Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few questions about the UT3s (Linux, drivers, kodi/openelec, ...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions about the UT3s (Linux, drivers, kodi/openelec, ...)

Hello there,

I was very interested into the Tronsmart RK3288 device...
    Since geekbuying sold the early dev builds (around sep 2014) a long time has gone over.
    My interests were a little low since then, because I heard of many many problems with all these rk3288 boxes. (especially detecting A/V-receiver and the monitor/TV ...)
    These seems to be fixed now?

Anyway ... My real cause is about running linux on these boxes....

Now, a few days before, I saw a review of the UT3s Box including dual boot with linux ...
    This forced my attention back on the rk3288 ...
    The last time I read about the "idea of running linux on tk3288 boxes", they were crashed since Rockchip was not interessted into creating linux drivers. (Is this right?)
    Everything was about: "It would be possible if we have drivers"...

Are these drivers now available?
    Are we limited to the official ubuntu (on the one review it was mentioned xubuntu?) or are we able to use others too?
    I am interested in running Kodi/OpenELEC on this box at linux level and because of the dual boot Android for everything else

- So what happened, that the UT3s can run Linux?
    - I have read about a guy who is reserve engineering these drivers?
    - Will there be the possibility to change to other Linux versions/updates? Or are we limited to the ones offered by Ugoos?
    - What about newer Android versions?
    - Is Kodi/OpenELEC a possibility in future?

I already read about the MiniX Z64 with a Intel inside ... But I wasn't happy to decide between Android or Windows and no dual boot option...

This one (UT3s) could finally fulfill my wishes, but I am not sure right now ...

Another thing ...
    I have read already the second time about a extra Kodi Config option to buy, what is this?

Br
    Stimmenhotel

PS: I am asking for updates because of my very bad experience with the neotv550 made by netgear ... They dropped development for the device in the middle of a beta and even the stable firmware had serious bugs and lacking features...

Originally posted by mo123
    Hi

Linux is running very stable.
    But GPU & VPU acceleration is still not working.
    ARM, manufacturer of the GPU will release a X11 GPU driver hopefully at the end of March then companies can port it to run on different RK3288 devices.
    Then you will have true GPU acceleration and can run better Linux DE.
    At the moment only Xubuntu & Lubuntu run good without GPU acceleration.

Firefly RK3288 users already ported mainline linux kernel v4.0 rc1 to run on their RK3288 device.
    Still some bugs but it boots.

So there is definitely development going on but we have to be patient.
    If you plan to buy a RK3288 device go with UT3 or Nagrace HPH, they both use the same boards and are compatible with the same firmware. They use higher quality boards then the other RK3288 devices that might be a few $ cheaper. Just make sure you buy a box with 4K @ 60hz instead of the older ones with 4K @ 30hz.

With the X11 GPU driver is VPU acceleration working too?

The mainline linux kernel is the first step for using every linux?

How can I be sure to habe a 4k @60Hz? I have still a HDTV, but sure want to be future proof
    UT3s is okay too? Since you only mentioned the UT3...
    The HPH is the same as UT3 with another lable, isn't it?

Thanks for your answer!

Comment

Could anyone point me to some documentation on the subject of booting Linux on RK3288 devices?

Is there a simililar solution to balbes150's S905 multiboot, meant for RK3288 Android 4.4 boxes? Thx.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimon View Post
        Could anyone point me to some documentation on the subject of booting Linux on RK3288 devices?

Is there a simililar solution to balbes150's S905 multiboot, meant for RK3288 Android 4.4 boxes? Thx.
        This is a bit old firmware but maybe it can be useful.

Comment

Thanks for the links. If you care to share your knowledge, please join us in this thread:

[ This thread started more or less here : And what do you think about porting to a cheap Android TVBox ] If anyone's interested we can discuss Armbian or linux for those rk3288 devices here. I'll start with mine (Q8 without front panel) which is the XT-Q8L-V10 from enybox (Chiptrip Q8 on gearbest...

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
          X