Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need mini pc

Which mini pc should I get my brother? Budget is $150

He needs these things.needs to be a bit fast.

1.browsing the web plus a lot of YouTube.

2.be able to connect to the computer monitor.keyboard and mouse.

3.windows 7 or 8

4.connection for external speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by fpsfreak209 View Post
    Which mini pc should I get my brother? Budget is $150

He needs these things.needs to be a bit fast.

1.browsing the web plus a lot of YouTube.

2.be able to connect to the computer monitor.keyboard and mouse.

3.windows 7 or 8

4.connection for external speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont buy these chinese there is a lot of problems with them as you can read on forum , i think you could get nuc 2820 or zotac bi320 or the new hp mini pc for a under 200 $

Comment

Personally I like the design of the PipoX7 over the Zotac (overpriced at $174 USD) 3120 Pico pc. I don't think that Zotac (and other MFGs) will make any money selling the device for $100 and will probably abandon venture as historically the Netops PC's / Laptops were not hot sellers and didn't create great profit margins.

The similiarly priced HP devices are using a dual core Intel Celeron which is slower than the quad core Intel Bay Trail CPU. I like the front / back IO on the PipoX7 versus the side I/O on the Zotac Pico PC. That said you can just velcro the PipoX7 to the back of an LCD and not even look at it. I am currently testing the PipoX7 on my office LCD TV (~40") and it works fine. The Zotac and PipoX7 are both manufactured in China. The motherboard on the PipoX7 is labeled Intel. Wondering if it is mfg by Intel? The difference is that Zotac is more well known. As a simple Windows 8.1 PC for replacement of a Netop today I would choose the PipoX7 over the Zotac.

If you want to go though with a used or refurbished small footprint PC have a look at the Aopen Digital Engine running with an Intel Core Duo. I purchased a small "lot" of these (> 10) at some $30 each. While these use more power they are the ultimate XBMC Ubuntu boxes. Lately though not seeing these for $30 anymore (its been some 2-3 years that I purchased them).

You can also today purchase a new HP Windows 7 embedded PC with an an Atom based CPU / Gb NIC and included wireless for $50. I bought one to play with about 2 weeks ago for $50. Looks to be new old stock. Runs Windows 7 embedded just fine off a 4 GB DOM. These are being dumped now because of the newer generation of the Baytrail CPUs probably. Looks to be like they were meant for that office environment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HP-7E.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	437570

New here just built two mITX Intel Haswell iSeries boxes. (~ < $ 300 USD) This are larger mITX based PCs in a small footprint box. I have them with 8Gb of Ram but you can go to 16Gb of Ram with these. I put one of these in a m350 miniITX case. A bit tight but a small lower powered footprint. This device is configured at the automation mothership running Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit. The second device will be used for same except running Windows Server. Smaller PCs are connected to it as satellite single function devices (touchscreen consoles, Kinect connected PCs, TTS/VR tabletop touchscreens). Automation/weather is a hobby here. (today control irrigation, lighting, security with it).

Name:	m350.jpg
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	437573

You can also just purchase a NUC as mentioned above.

Currently considering the use of the PipoX7 as a car PC. I current am using two Atom based computers in two vehicles today. I have integrated these into the bus as they are just devices along with the rest of the devices on the car bus. Everything else is stock in the automobiles (HU, Satellite radio, Bluetooth, VR, et al). Only thing is that I keep my entire music collection on these computers. The two cars have little computer racks with all of their devices and the carpc's are sort of big; the PipoX7 would be a better footprint and less power hungry. Software media player is Linux Ubuntu or Windows embedded today. Either works the same.

Name:	carmediaimage.jpg
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	437574Click image for larger version

Name:	MiniPCase-1.jpg
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	437575
      Last edited by Petee; 03-27-2015, 11:13.

Comment

What about the Poor man's NUC- HP mini stream 200-010 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Petee View Post
          :
          The similiarly priced HP devices are using a dual core Intel Celeron which is slower than the quad core Intel Bay Trail CPU.
          :
          not really, not really, if you also have an eye on GPU power, the HP has more power (and also at CPU)

2957U vs. Z3735F

Also if you have a look at the ZBOX CI320, you will find out, that it has more potential

N2930 vs. Z3735F
          RK3288 Devices
          - Overview BOX (LINK !)
          - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
          UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
          Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
          Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
          Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Last but not least a C1037U could also be an idea, e.g.

(this shop seems to be ok)

C1037U vs. Z3735F
            RK3288 Devices
            - Overview BOX (LINK !)
            - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
            UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
            Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
            Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
            Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

You are correct no_spam_for_me.

The HP stream device is at HP for $179 and includes Windows 8.1 Bing.

Personally HP if my favorite name brand computer these days.

Comment

Working...
              X