Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MK808 and wifi. My solution.

Yesterday I got my MK808.

As many have very bad issues with Wifi I had to explore a bit in order to attempt to increase my wifi speed.

I first tried out of the box.
    I was using Speedtest.net app to measure the wifi speed

I have 2 routers.
    One located 30cm away, and another 6m away.

It would not even be able to connect with the nearest router, even the signal was "Exellent"
    It connected to the other router, but the speed was slow. Ping 60 - 80 About 800 - 2000 Kbps and very unstable "Signal good/fair"

I removed the casing and went for the hardware mod we all know with the external antenna. See pics.

The signal increased and i could now also connect to the nearest router, but still very unstable at 1000Kbps - 6000Kbps.

Then i removed the casing again. Signal increasing even more, and more stable.

What I found was that the "second" antenna under the board is in a way maybe jamming..?

So here is what I did:
    I put a piece of thick paper on top of the antenna layout iinside bottom casing so the pins dont get contact with the "antenna".
    (This might make the wifi reception poorer, but then gaining higher and more stable speed.)

Now, new test on the nearest router......

Ping 17 - 26000 Kps down, and 26000Kbps up, and stable.

I tested on several roms as well. Mostly the same results.
    I do prefer Finless 1.5a btw.

Maybe someone can test this without modding the top antenna. Only by placing the paper on the buttom. ?

That way you are sure you wont break anything, and no need for soldiering.

I will do some more testing on this and get back to this thread.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GizmoPower; 11-30-2012, 10:30.

Well, as stated in last post, the wifi range might be very short and weak, when only using the modified antenna and "removing" the other (See previous post)

So, I did a second antenna, then i put some chewingum paper and stuck it in the case, located where i soldiered the antennas. Cind of insulation of signal, or what ever its called..

I am not proud of my soldiering skill as I have... non.....

Now the wifi is awsome. I can now connect with the nearest ruter (30cm) With no problems.
    And the second ruter (6m), with same speed and stability. I get full signal on both ruters and giving readings at 25000 - 30000 Kbps with speedtest.net.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GizmoPower; 12-04-2012, 08:21.

Comment

I'll give this a try, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoPower View Post
        Well, as stated in last post, the wifi range might be very short and weak, when only using the modified antenna and "removing" the other (See previous post)

So, I did a second antenna, then i put some chewingum paper and stuck it in the case where i soldiered the antennas. Cind of insulation of signal, or what ever its called..

I am not proud of my soldiering skill as I have... non.....

Now the wifi is awsome. I can now connect with the nearest ruter (30cm) With no problems.
        And the second ruter (6m), with same speed and stability. I get full signal on both ruters and giving readings at 25000 - 30000 Kbps with speedtest.net.
        Great job! Where did you get the wifi antennas? Planning on doing this mod myself. Are both wires (coming from the wifi antennas) soldered to the same spot on the circuitboard?

Comment

Thank you

I used two antennas from an old 3Com ruter

No, they are separated, only off course ground is the same.

But I must say: Be carfull with the second antenna (The two pins)
          While removing the "ant" I also accidently remove a tiny cable. Ground was ok to remove. Thats why I had to soldier that extra cable u see on pic.

Everythings running really smooth now with this mod and Finless 1.5a

Good luck!
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoPower View Post
            Thank you

I used two antennas from an old 3Com ruter

No, they are separated, only off course ground is the same.

But I must say: Be carfull with the second antenna (The two pins)
            While removing the "ant" I also accidently remove a tiny cable. Ground was ok to remove. Thats why I had to soldier that extra cable u see on pic.

Everythings running really smooth now with this mod and Finless 1.5a

Good luck!
            Takker og bukker! I was wondering what that extra cable was about. Good to know that the antennas are separated. I will be extra careful with the second antenna. I'm using Finless 1.5a aswell. Great ROM!

Comment

Working...
            X