U30GT-M mini stuck in recovery mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U30GT-M mini stuck in recovery mode?

I'm not certain whether the title is the right description for this scenario or not. I got my mini a few days ago and very stupidly neglected to make a recovery rom before trying to flash it with the kasty-cube_u30gt_mini-41-104-rooted.zip I downloaded from arctablet.com, using the rkbatchtools 1.5. Here is the log from that:

18:19:06 135 Rockchip Batch Tool v1.5.3.0 start run
    18:24:28 990 Rockchip Batch Tool v1.5.3.0 start run
    18:35:16 697 **********Upgrade Start Total<1>**********
    18:35:16 701 <Layer 2-1-2> Test Device Start
    18:35:16 707 <Layer 2-1-2> Test Device Success
    18:35:16 710 <Layer 2-1-2> Check Chip Start
    18:35:16 714 <Layer 2-1-2> Check Chip Success
    18:35:16 719 <Layer 2-1-2> Get FlashInfo Start
    18:35:16 720 <LAYER 2-1-2> INFO:FlashInfo: 0 0 0 1 0 10 10 18 1E 4 5
    18:35:16 723 <Layer 2-1-2> Get FlashInfo Success
    18:35:16 731 <Layer 2-1-2> Prepare IDB Start
    18:35:16 732 <LAYER 2-1-2> INFO:CS(1) (8192MB) (MICRON)
    18:35:16 733 <LAYER 2-1-2> INFO:CS(3) (8192MB) (MICRON)
    18:35:16 746 <Layer 2-1-2> Prepare IDB Success
    18:35:16 752 <Layer 2-1-2> Download IDB Start
    18:35:17 229 <Layer 2-1-2> Download IDB Success
    18:35:17 236 <Layer 2-1-2> Reset Device Start
    18:35:18 243 <Layer 2-1-2> Reset Device Success
    18:35:18 252 <Layer 2-1-2> Wait For Loader Start
    18:35:49 061 <Layer 2-1-2> Wait For Loader Fail
    18:35:49 067 **********Upgrade Done Success<0> Fail<1> Time<32355>ms**********

As best I can recall, at that point, the device was no longer recognized by the flashing utility. I tried different cables, different usb ports, and a few different computers, but the utility would not recognize the mini anymore.

I can get to the exceedingly ill android screen, after full power off/on; and from there I can pwr/vol+ into the recovery console. The tablet will not go into flash mode, regardless of various efforts. I understand that some people have had issues with executing the combination and length of button presses and, because of that, I have diligently tried different approaches already.

In the recovery console, wipe data and factory reset does nothing to repair the situation. The other options for updating complain about "unknown volume for [/update.img]; Can't mount /update.img; Can not found firmware image or invalid image." The external storage option also complains of no such file or directory. "Recover system from backup" provides "Checking firmware; E:Invalid image." "Apply update from cache" gives me two directories: "lost+found/" and /recovery/." Both directories appear empty from that screen.

After following various suggestions for getting the tablet properly recognized with drivers in Win7, I gave up and first tried to locate the tablet using lsusb in Linux - there it was as a google device, but I could not properly mount it, despite following a number of how-tos and using adb in Linux looked like a hassle.

I went back to Win7 and used adb and adb drivers to pull it up in an adb console. It is listed as 0123456789ABCDEF recovery. I tried to psuh an update.img file to /sdcard on the mini that I downloaded which was supposed to be the original firmware, minuses the unpleasant metro interface. It appeared to successfully transfer the files. After another attempt to recover and a fail, I tried pushing to the /recovery folder, but it failed due to being out of space. You can imagine my regret and dismay.

I cannot open a shell, because adb reports: "- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: no such file or directory <2> -" In its current state, could I push the needed files to run a shell, or would that work? If so could someone point me to where to download or provide an attachment?

I did use the "adb pull /" command and got quite a few files in the cache, sys, and tmp directories , but it skipped "special" files. Some files would not copy due to i/o errors, according to what I can still see in the cmd window. "adb pull /sdcard" resulted in "remote object /sdcard does not exist" response.

Command "adb pull /system" and "adb pull /mnt" both gave: "0 files pulled. 0 files skipped." Maybe I am doing that wrong, though.

I have ordered, from Amazon, torx T2 and T3 bits to attempt to open it up and short the pins to perform a hard reset, but I would much prefer to get this thing going without disassembly, if at all possible.

Is there anything I can try to get this tablet running via adb--maybe pushing a recovery.img or update.img to the /cache/recovery folder (just has empty last install, last log, and log files right now)? Or should I just wait for those Torx to arrive? I'm afraid this might be some sort of hardware failure, so am really reluctant to open the mini up, before trying to get a refund or replacement.

Re: U30GT-M mini stuck in recovery mode?

The key will be getting into recovery. One thing to try is to start the flash tool, connect up the cube and power up, during power up the tab may be detected and it's sometimes possible to use one of the buttons on the tool to reboot to flash mode.

Good luck
    900Supersport

900supersports FreakTab rkROMkitchen

900supersports guide to working-RK-ROMs

Under Construction 900supersports guide to working MediaTek ROMS

Struggling for time at the moment, but will try and drop by when I can.

If you would like to support my ROM development then please visit my Google site donate page where you can make a paypal donation

freaktab developer

Proof that you're never to old to learn. Sometimes too old to remember though.

Comment

Thank you, 900supersport. I tried that some more last night, without success. I'm just waiting for the Torx bits to arrive now and will report back after shorting the pins.

Comment

Same problem but solved with unbrick solution

Had exactly the same problem as you. I bought my T3 screwdriver today and managed to unbrick the tablet after a few attempt. the 29-30pin is really small and you need to have a steady hand and sharp eyes..

Comment

Congratulations, tschew!

Mine is also working fine now and running the 900 Supersport ROM. Thank you, 900supersport and others who contributed the knowledge and photos that made the process possible for even me to follow.

For anyone else about to try this: I used the 2T torx bit; once I got the metal banding off, there were also 4 small Phillips head screws holding the screen and back cover together, so have a small Phillips bit handy. I borrowed my kids' imprison-a-poor-defenseless-bug super magnifying glass to identify the right pins. Couldn't have done it without it.

Details: initially, I flashed some prior version (1.03?) of the official U30GT-M firmware, via the Rk Batch Tool 1.5. It ran through the whole process and looked fine, then claimed fail on the install. Tried to reboot and the mini wouldn't turn on. Realized, after a while, that the power cord was only half-plugged into the outlet and firmly and correctly plugged it back in. Mini booted with the original Cube ani. Everything was in Chinese(?). Battery power was at 1%; massive battery drain at some point. Finally got it switched into English. Shut down fully. Pwr_w_Vol+ buttoned into flash mode. Ran the flash utility included with the 900 Supersport ROM, which went flawlessly, rebooted. CWR complained about being unable to read the resource for creating a recovery. Decided to try again later with making a recovery. Cute boot screen! Everything working nicely, except complaint of sd card needing to be formatted. Did so. Tried to use CWR again. Nope. Still didn't like the sd card.

What a relief. [Edit: my husband made a small donation, on my behalf, on your900 Supersport google page.)

Comment

The same problem of you ! Help me please !

Originally posted by grldchzasprtns View Post
            Congratulations, tschew!

Mine is also working fine now and running the 900 Supersport ROM. Thank you, 900supersport and others who contributed the knowledge and photos that made the process possible for even me to follow.

For anyone else about to try this: I used the 2T torx bit; once I got the metal banding off, there were also 4 small Phillips head screws holding the screen and back cover together, so have a small Phillips bit handy. I borrowed my kids' imprison-a-poor-defenseless-bug super magnifying glass to identify the right pins. Couldn't have done it without it.

Details: initially, I flashed some prior version (1.03?) of the official U30GT-M firmware, via the Rk Batch Tool 1.5. It ran through the whole process and looked fine, then claimed fail on the install. Tried to reboot and the mini wouldn't turn on. Realized, after a while, that the power cord was only half-plugged into the outlet and firmly and correctly plugged it back in. Mini booted with the original Cube ani. Everything was in Chinese(?). Battery power was at 1%; massive battery drain at some point. Finally got it switched into English. Shut down fully. Pwr_w_Vol+ buttoned into flash mode. Ran the flash utility included with the 900 Supersport ROM, which went flawlessly, rebooted. CWR complained about being unable to read the resource for creating a recovery. Decided to try again later with making a recovery. Cute boot screen! Everything working nicely, except complaint of sd card needing to be formatted. Did so. Tried to use CWR again. Nope. Still didn't like the sd card.

What a relief. [Edit: my husband made a small donation, on my behalf, on your900 Supersport google page.)
            Hi my friends. I have de same problem with you.
            Is it possible to put photos of the pins that I need to short ? It is on NAND chip, right ?
            I am crazy because that. I have tried to flash a JB rom from Arctablets forum. It is a Christmas gift for my son. Ow God ! hehehehe !
            Thanks in advance !!!

EDIT: I saw this post. Is it right ?

Comment

[SOLVED] My problem with a bricked cube u30gt mini is solved [SOLVED]

My friends

I would like to thank you to help with your posts !
              My history is:
              I bought the cube mini last month. It arrived only yesterday. It is a Christmas gift for my son.
              I tried to updateto Jelly Bean (using kasty-cube_u30gt_mini-41-105-rooted). But this procedure brick the tablet. I tried a lot of things. Following in google, I found your posts.

Thank so much !!!
              Tinoco, Vinicius

Below, there are some links that helped me very much

hhttp://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?3061-NEW-900-Supersport-1-1-rooted-ROM-for-Cube-U30GT-Mini-1-05-16-Dec-2012&highlight=

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?1532-Don-t-Panic!-When-flashing-goes-wrong
              Last edited by viniciuspt; 12-19-2012, 11:44. Reason: Included more one link

Comment

Glad to here you got the cube sorted.
                900Supersport

900supersports FreakTab rkROMkitchen

900supersports guide to working-RK-ROMs

Under Construction 900supersports guide to working MediaTek ROMS

Struggling for time at the moment, but will try and drop by when I can.

If you would like to support my ROM development then please visit my Google site donate page where you can make a paypal donation

freaktab developer

Proof that you're never to old to learn. Sometimes too old to remember though.

Comment

Working...
                X