Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holding "Menu" button, plug in USB, tablet doesn't power up. So I can't flash ROM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Despair...

Thank you all for your replies.

Yes, I have tried different USB ports / cables.

When I hold the menu button down, it beeps once, and the livesuit gui either stays where it is or gets minimized, staying at 0%.

When I hold the power button down, it beeps twice, I get the two additional prompts that I am supposed to be getting, the livesuit gui says 1% and 2 minute and xx second left (xx is different every time).

Also, I have to hit the reset button every time. If I don't, I get the livesuit gui pop-up with the exclamation point and no text (the one that is supposed to be at the end of the flash process).

Polaroid S8
    Blackberry Torch
    Kindle Fire HD Gen 2 - Wifes
    Nokia 520 Windows 8 - Wifes
    (3) Nextbook 7s - Slooooooow - (Finless Bob ROM) - used for kids e-readers
    (2) Samsung Exhibits - kids
    Samsung Blaze, Kindle Fire, (2) PMID701c (Elektrik ROM) - all RIP
    ...some laptops, some PC's and some routers / switches

Comment

query:

How long does the format / erase stage take before it start wring the flash?
      Polaroid S8
      Blackberry Torch

Comment

I was waiting to do a thorough writeup of my recent experience, but for the sake of maybe helping you out I'll write a quick, distilled account now. (Note: Mine is a 701i 10.)

I don't know who came up with the press-menu-button idea, but I tried that for over an hour this past weekend with no result. Swapped cables, ports, tried Windows XP and Windows 8 computers. Nothing. Dozens of tries with different timing.

Then finally I tried the three-hands-needed approach somewhat described in the very crypticly translated message in the Livesuit program - something like "long hold PWR with random other key then connect [USB] and quick press [something] 10 times and release [something]" and the flash proceeded and finished successfully in a couple minutes. So try your best to figure out what is being communicated there and give it a try.

Electrik ROM is good (v2 - all that is available for 701i 10).

Comment

Originally posted by ronb View Post
          I was waiting to do a thorough writeup of my recent experience, but for the sake of maybe helping you out I'll write a quick, distilled account now. (Note: Mine is a 701i 10.)

I don't know who came up with the press-menu-button idea, but I tried that for over an hour this past weekend with no result. Swapped cables, ports, tried Windows XP and Windows 8 computers. Nothing. Dozens of tries with different timing.

Then finally I tried the three-hands-needed approach somewhat described in the very crypticly translated message in the Livesuit program - something like "long hold PWR with random other key then connect [USB] and quick press [something] 10 times and release [something]" and the flash proceeded and finished successfully in a couple minutes. So try your best to figure out what is being communicated there and give it a try.

Electrik ROM is good (v2 - all that is available for 701i 10).
          Thanks for your reply.

I read that, and I thought about that, but had no idea what key combinations to try.

After reading your post, I tried a bunch of different key combinations, but no dice...

What key combination worked for you?
          Polaroid S8
          Blackberry Torch

Comment

I can't really tell you what exactly I did, I was kinda guessing as to what the message was trying to say. But I think it worked on second, maybe third, try. And at that point, after almost 2 hours in, I happily went on with testing and setting up the device. Without seeing the message again I can't help any more than to say, try interpreting it a little differently. Also, note mine is a 701i 10, and may work differently.

Comment

Originally posted by ronb View Post
              I can't really tell you what exactly I did, I was kinda guessing as to what the message was trying to say. But I think it worked on second, maybe third, try. And at that point, after almost 2 hours in, I happily went on with testing and setting up the device. Without seeing the message again I can't help any more than to say, try interpreting it a little differently. Also, note mine is a 701i 10, and may work differently.
              It *might* be like the pmid4311 in that, you hold down the menu button, while plugging in the cable, then pressing power 3 times....
              https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

Originally posted by elektrik View Post
                It *might* be like the pmid4311 in that, you hold down the menu button, while plugging in the cable, then pressing power 3 times....
                Thank you for your reply.

No dice...

Tried two laptops (Win7 and XP), one desktop (win7), three USB cables, all USB ports, ST rom 2.3, ST rom 4.0 and Elektrick from v3...

despair...

Polaroid S8
                Blackberry Torch

Comment

Frustrating! I had the same problem yesterday as I was trying to flash over to Elektrik. A couple months ago I received the tablet from Woot and used my Win7 laptop to update the Stock Rom successfully. Yesterday I tried to use the same laptop to flash to Elektrik, but the process always stalled after the first beeps. I uninstalled drivers, changed ports, nothing worked. So I transferred all the needed files to my Win7 desktop and this time plugged into the USB 3.0 port... BINGO!

I don't know why it worked on the desktop and not on the laptop. Especially since it worked on the laptop before. Nor do I know if using the USB 3.0 port helped at all. But I can tell you that I was watching the device manager on the desktop when I plugged in and "USB Device(VID_1f3a_PID_efe8)" was installed previous to flashing. I had just plugged the tablet in a couple of minutes before while it was on to transfer over some files, and that driver was not installed as part of that process. I'm guessing that holding the menu key down as the tablet turns on enables a script to install the needed driver for flashing.

When I get home tonight I'll test the tablet again on a couple other computers and see if I can identify anything else that may help.

Comment

Try this from the PMID701i 13 model:

1. Press and HOLD the MENU button (do not release).
                      2. Insert the USB cord into the tablet (while holding MENU).
                      3. Quick-press the POWER button 3 times (still holding MENU).
                      4. Quick-press the HOME button (still holding MENU).
                      5. Release the MENU button.
                    https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

Negative...
                      Polaroid S8
                      Blackberry Torch

Comment

Query...

Should I see one or two USB Device(VID_1f3a_PID_efe8) devices in my device manager?

I have my choice of two, with and without the exclamation mark...
                        Polaroid S8
                        Blackberry Torch

Comment

What about the USB cables themselves? I read that not all USB cables are created equally. Some are better for charging, some are better for data transfer...???
                          Polaroid S8
                          Blackberry Torch

Comment

Originally posted by Sanman View Post
                            Frustrating! I had the same problem yesterday as I was trying to flash over to Elektrik. A couple months ago I received the tablet from Woot and used my Win7 laptop to update the Stock Rom successfully. Yesterday I tried to use the same laptop to flash to Elektrik, but the process always stalled after the first beeps. I uninstalled drivers, changed ports, nothing worked. So I transferred all the needed files to my Win7 desktop and this time plugged into the USB 3.0 port... BINGO!

I don't know why it worked on the desktop and not on the laptop. Especially since it worked on the laptop before. Nor do I know if using the USB 3.0 port helped at all. But I can tell you that I was watching the device manager on the desktop when I plugged in and "USB Device(VID_1f3a_PID_efe8)" was installed previous to flashing. I had just plugged the tablet in a couple of minutes before while it was on to transfer over some files, and that driver was not installed as part of that process. I'm guessing that holding the menu key down as the tablet turns on enables a script to install the needed driver for flashing.

When I get home tonight I'll test the tablet again on a couple other computers and see if I can identify anything else that may help.

I have tried USB 3 and USB 2, PC and Laptop.

I get the USB Device(VID_1f3a_PID_efe8) in device manager when I run the livesuitpack driver install program.

If I plug my tablet in, I see a second USB Device(VID_1f3a_PID_efe8) driver in device manager.

If I plug my tablet in while holding the menu key, same result.

If I plug my tablet in while holding the power button, I get one beep and the second driver as above, and if I continue to hold the button, I get the second beep and the second USB Device(VID_1f3a_PID_efe8) goes away...
                            Polaroid S8
                            Blackberry Torch

Comment

HOLY CRAP! That just worked...!!!
                              Polaroid S8
                              Blackberry Torch

Comment

Been stuck at 48% for five minutes...is that normal?
                                Polaroid S8
                                Blackberry Torch

Comment

Working...
                                X