Cyanogen Mod Port To Rockchip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyanogen Mod Port To Rockchip

This is a port of Cyanogen Mod and Clockwork Mod Recovery to devices with Rockchip processors.
    I tested it on my nextbook premium 7 and it worked. But there were three problems first there is no google apps second the wifi wasnt working at all and also the status bar wouldnt rotate properly so i just wanted to post this here for any Nextbook Premium7 devs that might want to do some work on getting Cyanogen mod ported to the Nextbook Pemium 7.

I'd love to see this developed further and made fully compatible with the Next7P. I've heard so much about how great the Cyanogen mod is, I'm dying to try it on my tablet!

Comment

Ya know.... I gotta ask as I am working on a CWM boot myself but I am now questioning the value?

Why do you guys think it is great and why do you need it? All it really provides is a way to boot into different OS's like a dual boot. Oh and it provides you a backed up system before you dual boot.

So with that.... I honestly think only a few power users will ever really use this? It makes me wonder if my time is not better spent on improving our tablets rather than making a tool that really... I don't think most users will use but once or twice?

BTW to n00bs.... understand CWM (Clock Work Recovery Mod) is not the same thing as a Cyanogen OS mod (but are combined in a form). So be careful what your asking or talking about.

Just a question honestly,
      Bob
      "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
      "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
      "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
      "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
      "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
      "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
      "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
      "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
      "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
        Ya know.... I gotta ask as I am working on a CWM boot myself but I am now questioning the value?

Why do you guys think it is great and why do you need it? All it really provides is a way to boot into different OS's like a dual boot. Oh and it provides you a backed up system before you dual boot.

So with that.... I honestly think only a few power users will ever really use this? It makes me wonder if my time is not better spent on improving our tablets rather than making a tool that really... I don't think most users will use but once or twice?

BTW to n00bs.... understand CWM (Clock Work Recovery Mod) is not the same thing as a Cyanogen OS mod (but are combined in a form). So be careful what your asking or talking about.

Just a question honestly,
        Bob
        If you want your users to be willing to test stuff out, it is a lot easier to test stuff out if you can easily return to your prior status easily. I have run all kinds of beta ROMs and kernels and helped developers tweak things because of the facility Nandroid backup and restore on my Android phonrs. In fact, the recovery on my Rezound (Amon Ra) even lets me re-root if an OTA update breaks it.

Sent from my AN10G2 using Tapatalk
        Asus Transformer TF300T - ROOTED, with TWRP recovery and stock Jellybean
        HTC Rezound - ROOTED with S-OFF, running stock ICS
        Android obsessed since April 29, 2010

Comment

Again Harold, not trying to argue and I completely understand what your saying but is this really what the "general users" wants?

Sure us power user guys want that but is this 1% of the populus?

I have a feeling that most people do not desire this kind of thing but instead want something that works for them better. Most are not "flashers"

Just asking....

Bob
          "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
          "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
          "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
          "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
          "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
          "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
          "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
          "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
          "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Well, I have to admit you're probably right there. The other day I was showing off my rooted Rezound to another Android user and explaining the benefits of root, and I suggested that a significant percentage of Android users had rooted their phones. My friend, no technical slouch, in fact, he retired in his 40's from a venture capital fund that had made gazillions (that's a number, check it out) from all kinds of tech ventures, seriously challenged my assertion as to the percentage of those who had rooted.

So I did a little Google search and concluded that the staggering number of those rooting probably encompasses less than 1% of the users. And probably most of them are not flashaholics like me.

So CWM would be my drug of choice --- a recovery that enables flashing of different ROMs and kernels and so forth --- and makes sense for someone like me who tests things out --- but as far as it being a priority, well, I'll leave that up to you.
            Last edited by HaroldG; 02-25-2012, 21:49. Reason: clarify
            Asus Transformer TF300T - ROOTED, with TWRP recovery and stock Jellybean
            HTC Rezound - ROOTED with S-OFF, running stock ICS
            Android obsessed since April 29, 2010

Comment

From my perspective, I just want to use Cyanogen because people that I know who use it say they love it. As far as the CWM goes, I don't know a lot about it yet, but if it enables dual-booting, I say go for it! If you're trying to write for the general population, and not for people who like to root their phones, why bother doing it at all? You could just as easily focus your time writing Android apps and getting them on a market somewhere.

Personally, though, I'm super-duper glad that I was able to find this site. I couldn't bear the thought of not having root over my tablet. Not having root feels like I'm "permanently borrowing" somebody else's device, who can do whatever they want with whatever data I choose to store on it. I wouldn't own a smartphone or tablet AT ALL if it came to that. As it is, I'm considering returning the tablet I have if I don't A. get the source code, B. figure out how to build a kernel from the linux source, C. find someone who can do it, or D. Get a hold of one of those kernel plugin KO deals that Finless or Doc mentioned. I MUST HAVE NETFILTER / IPTABLES. The crummy part is, netfilter / iptables is there on the tablet, but it's not enabled in the kernel.

Another gripe I have about the market is the hypocrisy. This whole industry is built on GPL'd code, but nobody provides the source, which is in direct violation of the of the license. Tablet makers routinely keep the source code private, and market vendors are taking GPL'd source code, porting it to Android and charging for it, then sitting on the code. There's a guy who makes screensavers, known as reallyslick screensavers. Great screensavers for Windows/Linux, have been around for like 12 years. His code is GPL, but look how many "live wallpapers" on the Android Market are based on his code -- how many of those vendors would be willing to release their source code? I bet none.

So in short, you may have a small audience here, but rest assured we're all most grateful that you do what you do, and it *is* important to us, especially those of us who don't have the time or knowledge to do these things ourselves.

Comment

You've made a huge contribution to the low end tablet community, Bob. I found this place after posting a few times on the arctablet site. I own a NextBook 7 and an Arnova 10G2, running Doc's latest on the NBP7 and your latest on the Arnova.

I think having a recovery mode such as ClockWork or Amon Ra, which are the two more well known, that will allow users to simply flash a zip file and make nandroid backups will very much appeal to the average or even new users. It would allow people to flash ROMs without a computer for one. Also, it's a much simpler way to flash ROMs, your tool that comes packed with your ROM is nice and simple to someone who has computer knowledge or can follow instructions well, but it is intimidating, even to me at first and I've been using Android devices since 2009. I want 4 to 6 simple steps that don't require a computer, things that my wife who is computer illiterate can do.

1. Place ROM on root of SD card.
                2. Reboot into Recovery
                3. Make Nandroid backup.
                4. Wipe Data/Factory Reset
                5. Flash ROM.
                6. Reboot, and enjoy.

I won't even buy a new phone unless it has a simple method to root, and a bootable recovery.

Comment

Here's something that may help this project along! Rockchip 2918 kernel source released by odys.de for their tablets, under LGPLv3:

http://www.arctablet.com/blog/archos...e-publication/

Update: Found another! Kernel Source for the AndyPad tablet:

Comment

Just the ability to do a nandroid backup would be ideal!!!!!

Do we get any further with this??

Comment

Working...
                    X